March or Die thoughts 2021....

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

One only has to look at  at empty stadiums for OC on tour and ask an OC member how that feels...now thats the sad truth. I've said for many many years if people want OC to have a bigger voice GET IN THE SEATS, instead of talking about it...it works

Easy fix, open seating.

1 hour ago, Triple Forte said:

I disagree with this piece here..

>>Craig, we have to connect >>with and appeal to 20 year >>old college kids instead of >>70 year old men if we are to >>last another 80 years."

I don’t see evidence that corps who present crowd pleasing shows are not attracting membership versus corps that have esoteric show designs. A good example during a competitive year was when  jersey surf did bridgemania .  Jersey surf had plenty of members the next year and the fact the corps did a retro show the previous year didn’t phase people to join the corps 

by the way I hope you’re around to enjoy  Drum Corps many many more years 😊

8 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

No one is saying that.  But, what you are saying and implying is that a corps that plays say Mahler (or any other piece that has been played whenever)  is automatically not helping the activity or drawing members. Which I find no support or reality supporting this assumption.   

Mello Dude, I think I know you, and if you are the person whom I think you are, I remember you being an incredible brass teacher and somebody whom I cannot possibly hold my own with in a debate on literature.  🙂  Hopefully, you might remember me as the last person to defend artistic snobbery.  I have no issues whatsoever with playing recognizable music as long as the overall approach continues to evolve.  As cool as the Ed Denon chart of Yankee Doodle was in 1965, I think we should move on in 2022!    

54 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

I disagree with this piece here..

>>Craig, we have to connect >>with and appeal to 20 year >>old college kids instead of >>70 year old men if we are to >>last another 80 years."

I don’t see evidence that corps who present crowd pleasing shows are not attracting membership versus corps that have esoteric show designs. A good example during a competitive year was when  jersey surf did bridgemania .  Jersey surf had plenty of members the next year and the fact the corps did a retro show the previous year didn’t phase people to join the corps 

by the way I hope you’re around to enjoy  Drum Corps many many more years 😊

NM

Edited by GUARDLING

15 minutes ago, FTNK said:

What an absolute loser.

He’s actually for the most part very complimentary of modern show design and performance. There's nothing wrong with being critical of something lol

Edited by Hrothgar15

3 hours ago, craiga said:

Again, I never said that either Phantom or Cadets' shows were not appealing to the members of today.  In fact, I praised both corps.  But, the tremendous applause that Cadets (for example) received were from people like me, who were around for Rocky Point Holiday and George Zingali's brilliance.  These kids did an amazing job of recreating the look and sound of drum corps from 30 plus years ago, and I LOVED it!

My point was just that you can't program only based on nostalgia and hope to grow or even sustain the activity.  

One last time...I LOVED THE CADETS THIS YEAR!

What’s old is new again. Let’s not assume modern day drum corps is all about amplification and staging as far as audience appeal goes. I think the 20 year old audience members were exposed to a couple of retro shows and they ate it up because THEY were different from what passes as drum corps now. The activity is evolving and can include all sorts of styles. It’s about time the judging sheets reflected this rather than as Terri so eloquently put it….”Monkey see Monkey do.” 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

What’s old is new again. Let’s not assume modern day drum corps is all about amplification and staging as far as audience appeal goes. I think the 20 year old audience members were exposed to a couple of retro shows and they ate it up because THEY were different from what passes as drum corps now. The activity is evolving and can include all sorts of styles. It’s about time the judging sheets reflected this rather than as Terri so eloquently put it….”Monkey see Monkey do.” 

the sheets are dictated by the corps not by judges.

Edited by GUARDLING