March or Die thoughts 2021....

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

I didn’t interpret Jeff’s comment as being the ONLY way. Imo it’s the quiet, well performed moments that often get lost on the audience. Glassmen’s 2002 flugel soloist and Blue Knights 2008 front ensemble feature are two examples that immediately come to mind. How do you show appreciation for a quiet moment? It’s awkward to cheer, yell and give a standing O. 

Fans show " their appreciation" in a variety of ways. Some prefer ear splitting fortissimo and in your face, with standing O's and the " hootin & the hollerin " and others like" quiet" passages that they tell us " made me teary eyed ", while sitting quietly, as that is what the moment in the show required..... and everything in between.  Lots of shows have ended " quietly " with closers over the years too, that significant fans seemed to like. GE judges show us " appreciation ", for quiet moments ( and loud moments ) performed well, by the written GE scores they put down that we can read. GE judges are no more impressed with the quiet moments, nor with the " hooterin & the hollerin ".  Some of that " hooterin & the hollerin" is because  Joey or Suzie in their fam is marching out there on the field, or the Corps is from their locality, or they are an alum of the Corps, and the like.  Not all, but a lot of it.  GE Judges learn early on to disregard all that. GE Judges assess a Corps show fundamentally on how it appeals to THEM personally that day, given the GE yardstick for evaluation provided to them by all the Corps beforehand in the off season. GE Judges apply the standards for assessment written into the sheets. And " fans in the stands ", by and large, are a non factor on the GE Music and GE Visual sheets. Not a total non factor, but one with little import on the current GE sheets the Corps have approved.

Edited by Boss Anova

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

Corps don't  " listen to fans " in terms of what should be or not be on the field in performance.  DCI Corps have not taken any polls on anything they have approved in DCI in terms on amplification, props, numbers of marchers on field, instrumentation,  etc or anything else for that matter.   Not saying they should or not. Just that they never have. What is on the field is what the Corps have decided they want that still appeals to their primary audience, ie the students that foot the bill to learn/ enhance their craft and to perform in the summer as a summer adjunct to the schools marching bands, and in the case of the Guards, to WGI.

Well, for whatever reason, designers chose not to use woodwinds this year, even though there was discussion about it. And again, this would have been the ideal year to experiment with them.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

On 8/28/2021 at 3:15 PM, Hrothgar15 said:

What about Phantom or Cadets’ show this year was not appealing to the members of today? I’ve seen this point raised a lot but never really seen evidence to back it up.

<<Sarcasm On>>

Watching 2021 Phantom & Cadets perform, it was obvious that the members felt they were performing a show that they couldn't relate to.  Also obvious that they hated being on the field performing in such a stupid show.

<<Sarcasm Off>>

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And if corps wanted to experiment with woodwinds, wouldn’t 2021 have been the perfect time to try them? 

No.  Ever since 1972, the best time to experiment with anything is in the first season that it is allowed by DCI rules.  Then you get automatic credit for being "cutting edge".

And the absolute perfect time to experiment is when a manufacturer will provide the experimental equipment for free, or insanely reduced cost.

• Thanks 1

I don't think

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

<<Sarcasm On>>

Watching 2021 Phantom & Cadets perform, it was obvious that the members felt they were performing a show that they couldn't relate to.  Also obvious that they hated being on the field performing in such a stupid show.

<<Sarcasm Off>>

I don't think anyone could suggest that the members of Cadets or Phantom weren't having a blast this summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I don't think

I don't think anyone could suggest that the members of Cadets or Phantom weren't having a blast this summer.

Oh, but some have.....

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

<<Sarcasm On>>

<<Sarcasm Off>>

2021 Phantom and Cadets 2021 were tradition based shows musically and visually that seemed to appeal to both young and old alike. Both made it into the TOP 3 this summer as national " fan favorites " according to both social media and Flo Marching polling. It was the perfect season to do these types of traditional shows with traditional uniforms and shakos, as it was an unscored exhibition season. As such, Madison Scouts traditional show/ music/ visuals/ attire/  headgear/ corps colors were in the TOP 3 this summer with fans both old and alike nationally as well. Members marching these 3 tradition based Corps seemed thrilled with marching in this attire and performing these shows with their Corps.  Like most others, I enjoyed immensely these throw back shows with their familiar music, drill moves, attire.

Now onto 2022, where its likely Cadets/ Phantom/ Madison/  do something completely different in attire/ headgear/ music/ visuals/ etc once the DCI Judges return to score and place all these Corps based upon the scoring sheets these 3 Corps ( and all the Corps for that matter ) have approved in how they choose to have their performances judged once again in competition. 

Edited by Boss Anova

2 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Oh, but some have.....

Where ? Why would anyone mistakenly believe the marchers in the 2021 Cadets and 2021 Phantom Regiment " wernt having a blast this summer " ? I have not seen or heard any marchers in these 2 Corps displeased with what adults in their respective Corps gave them this summer at all. They sure looked to me to be having a blast performing these throwback shows in traditional attire. So where were you getting this alleged info from ?

Edited by Boss Anova

19 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Where ? Why would anyone mistakenly believe the marchers in the 2021 Cadets and 2021 Phantom Regiment " wernt having a blast this summer " ? I have not seen or heard any marchers in these 2 Corps displeased with what adults in their respective Corps gave them this summer at all. They sure looked to me to be having a blast performing these throwback shows in traditional attire. So where were you getting this alleged info from ?

I think you need to re-read it.

12 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I think you need to re-read it.

Marchers were thrilled to march 2021 Cadets, 2021 Phantom Regiment, 2021 Madison Scouts fabulous fan Friendly shows in the traditional attire and headgear. I thought you were posting above that you thought otherwise, or some fans somewhere didnt think their marchers thoroughly enjoyed performing these shows, and in this attire every bit as much as the young and old in the audience did.. If I misunderstood your reply, and you agree these 3 tradition based shows in traditional attire/ headgear/ corps traditional colors, et al were huge hits this summer for both their marchers and audiences alike, then my bad.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1