March or Die thoughts 2021....

5 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

And that's precisely the problem in my humble opinion. 

i am not saying its right or wrong. Honestly a member of the World drum corps hall of fame once told a band director "you just used your whole time to explain your show to a guy that will probably see you at best one more time....and repeat this every week".

the band director didn't get it...or the score. However in DCI, there's many opportunities to see judges over the summer, and on several different sheets. that information can be useful, especially early season with so much detailing to be added. Does it make it right? Maybe, maybe not. but it's what the corps decided. so feel free to offer your expertise to the DCI steering committee.

I think the disconnect is that some people believe that the GE caption should be about how much a show makes an audience stand up on their feet and cheer. And that is clearly not how the sheets are written. 

I personally don't think audience reaction should be a part of GE. It's already subjective enough as a caption, the likes and dislikes of the judges and fans shouldn't be added to the mix. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i am not saying its right or wrong. Honestly a member of the World drum corps hall of fame once told a band director "you just used your whole time to explain your show to a guy that will probably see you at best one more time....and repeat this every week".

the band director didn't get it...or the score. However in DCI, there's many opportunities to see judges over the summer, and on several different sheets. that information can be useful, especially early season with so much detailing to be added. Does it make it right? Maybe, maybe not. but it's what the corps decided. so feel free to offer your expertise to the DCI steering committee.

It reminds me of the members of The Cadets  trying to explain the  “Stoned” show (or whatever it ended up being called) on that show with the Rock.  They were completely befuddled, as were much of the audience.  I can’t for the life of me remember the name of that tv show.   It was not a memorable experience.  Had I not been a drum corps person, they would have lost me around episode two. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It reminds me of the members of The Cadets  trying to explain the  “Stoned” show (or whatever it ended up being called) on that show with the Rock.  They were completely befuddled, as were much of the audience.  I can’t for the life of me remember the name of that tv show.   It was not a memorable experience.  Had I not been a drum corps person, they would have lost me around episode two. 

It was Clash of the Cupcakes … I mean Corps.

• Haha 2

From a marketing standpoint, tour partners along the nightly travel routes NEED to keep their audiences satisfied, feeling better after they leave the venue. Like it, or not, spontaneous applause, cheers, and engagement with the presentations helps to build repeat customers. 

Families of the host corps’ members will want to attend automatically and certainly will respond loudly when they take the field. Others in the paying audience need to be “captured,” so to speak. 

Here, posters frequently write, “ I’ll have to see it a few times, I guess. Maybe then, I’ll get it.” Most in the local audience do not have that luxury. It’s a ‘one night only’ experience for them.

Finding that ‘mix’ of challenging materials for the talented performers, and entertainment for the masses has always been a challenge in itself,  but both groups need to be considered.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I woud agree that if a corps needs to continually explain there's a disconnect BUT for me a great program is one that a person can sit back and say....I have no freakin idea what that was about BUT #### was that good. This is a sign of great programing, wonderfulplaying and exciting viuals.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

I woud agree that if a corps needs to continually explain there's a disconnect BUT for me a great program is one that a person can sit back and say....I have no freakin idea what that was about BUT #### was that good. This is a sign of great programing, wonderfulplaying and exciting viuals.

I'm reminded of a time back in high school when some kids took a foreign exchange student to his first football game (as opposed to futbol.)  He didn't understand most of the rules or the strategy, but he loved watching them hit each other and run around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I watched the show.  I then watched this.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I think this year’s Spirit of Atlanta show falls into this category. Their Bottle Tree show was good by itself, but the concept of what a bottle tree is was so intriguing that I had to google it. I have heard a number of people say the same thing. I have observed many times over the years, that a good drum corps show will inspire fans to learn more about an unfamiliar piece of music, or concept.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think the disconnect is that some people believe that the GE caption should be about how much a show makes an audience stand up on their feet and cheer. And that is clearly not how the sheets are written. 

I personally don't think audience reaction should be a part of GE. It's already subjective enough as a caption, the likes and dislikes of the judges and fans shouldn't be added to the mix. 

My feeling has always been that there should be less points allotted for the GE categories and much more for the technical achievement categories.  That in itself would in someways reduce the subjectivity 😁

• Like 2