March or Die thoughts 2021....

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It was Clash of the Cupcakes … I mean Corps.

I watched most of one episode… hey I like drum corps but IIRC talking like what goes on in the background is dang near life or death…. 🙄
Then again in 1992 my life changed so much (first house, wife and asked to be on church council) I walked away from corps for 10 years without regret 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I woud agree that if a corps needs to continually explain there's a disconnect BUT for me a great program is one that a person can sit back and say....I have no freakin idea what that was about BUT #### was that good. 

In my humble opinion, those last four words are what matters.  The "no freaking idea what that was" approach need not be the only means to achieve that end.

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

judges arent scratching their heads. they get a ton of information to explain the show as well as having he benefit of critique

If true, then the DCI judges would not as a collective group have asked the Corps Show Designers in 2016 to come to them BEFORE the season started in 2017 and verbally explain to them what their upcoming show themes were all about in terms of its substance and messaging. The DCI judges did so because as a group they admitted that they were sometimes confused with previous years shows, and wanted the DCI Show Designers, if they wanted to, to sit down with them before the season began to explain what their show would be about. I know of a few Corps that took advantage of that outreach and participated in the preseason verbal explanation with the judges ( as well as a few corps that for whatever reason declined to take advantage of that offering ).

Many shows with their themes are highly communicative via music  and visuals, and thus there is no need to " splain " to audiences and judges alike what you are attempting to convey.  There is something amiss in your show design if at the end of your show audiences appreciate the performance from a technical proficiency standpoint, but are confused as heck with what your show was about. Sure, judges eventually get around at some point during the season to having your theme and show  explained to them, but most in the audience around the country at all these shows, have to relie on what they saw and heard on the field from your Corps. I prefer those shows that are able to move me with their show and theme musically and visually in a coherent fashion so that at least at some basic level I understand the show and theme. Otherwise, forget themes, and messaging attempts altogether, and just dazzle us with your performance abilities alone, sans " show themes ". Lord Knows, Corps corps were able to do so for decades without the need for such attempts at introspective navel gazings with some of these shows/ themes that have audiences confused as heck, and even judges themselves of late needing your show  and theme and messaging " splained " to them even before the season begins.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

as someone who judges GE in a local band circuit....we judge the criteria on the sheets. I am a fan...i know what I like....but "like" isn't on the sheets. Sure I have seen shows that made me cheer out loud, and i may or may not have misted p a time or 3...and not just due to onions nearby. 

here's some inks breaking down GE judging:

https://sunnyslope.guhsdaz.org/s_h_s_web_index/contact_us/faculty_directory/andrew_larusch/viking_pride_band/Frequently_asked_question/marching_band_scoring_explained

https://www.wgi.org/general-effect-faq/

I've seen the GE Music and Visual sheets currently utilized, as well as the changes they made ( minor ) a couple of years back.. I even know the rationale behind the GE sheets first written in 1972, and even the guy that principally wrote it all by himself those original GE sheets, then submitted it to the DCI Congress of Corps at large at the time for consideration, discussion, then its subsequent vote of approval for adoption.

I am fine with  the DCI current judging sheets, as the Corps understand them, and its application in scoring and placements. I am not aware of rampant displeasure among the Corps scores and placements under these judging sheets. Disgruntled fans though, here and there  ? Oh for sure. That is a constant. Even before the inception of DCI, we had disgruntled fans with the scores and placements.. probably more so then, as there were different sheets and standards for judging among the various circuits. Huge differences on the sheets among the Drum Corps circuits in some cases pre DCI. So I have a pretty good grasp of what the GE Music Caption and the GE Visual Caption are today, and how they have evolved, and the rationale behind each of the captions, GE captions included. As mentioned my me and others on here, the Corps approved these sheets, so I'm good with it.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think this year’s Spirit of Atlanta show falls into this category. Their Bottle Tree show was good by itself, but the concept of what a bottle tree is was so intriguing that I had to google it. I have heard a number of people say the same thing. I have observed many times over the years, that a good drum corps show will inspire fans to learn more about an unfamiliar piece of music, or concept.  

1 hour ago, Triple Forte said:

My feeling has always been that there should be less points allotted for the GE categories and much more for the technical achievement categories.  That in itself would in someways reduce the subjectivity 😁

Not at all...but that brings it back to a dead subject of the tic system and the subjectivity of that

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Not at all...but that brings it back to a dead subject of the tic system and the subjectivity of that

I’m not sure why you quoted me, but I agree with your response to the second quote you responded to, unless you were responding to my quote, in which case I am confused, which admittedly would not be the first time.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

My feeling has always been that there should be less points allotted for the GE categories and much more for the technical achievement categories.  That in itself would in someways reduce the subjectivity 😁

I would be in total agreement on that. GE should be worth a lot less of the pie compared to music and visual. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I’m not sure why you quoted me, but I agree with your response to the second quote you responded to, unless you were responding to my quote, in which case I am confused, which admittedly would not be the first time.

lol...sorry mistake...it was to the 2nd quote

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think the disconnect is that some people believe that the GE caption should be about how much a show makes an audience stand up on their feet and cheer. And that is clearly not how the sheets are written. 

I personally don't think audience reaction should be a part of GE. It's already subjective enough as a caption, the likes and dislikes of the judges and fans shouldn't be added to the mix. 

yup

13 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It reminds me of the members of The Cadets  trying to explain the  “Stoned” show (or whatever it ended up being called) on that show with the Rock.  They were completely befuddled, as were much of the audience.  I can’t for the life of me remember the name of that tv show.   It was not a memorable experience.  Had I not been a drum corps person, they would have lost me around episode two. 

the BD parts were good. oh wait....far less drama

• Like 1