March or Die thoughts 2021....

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Not at all...but that brings it back to a dead subject of the tic system and the subjectivity of that

So ge is not the most subjective caption?  👀

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

If true, then the DCI judges would not as a collective group have asked the Corps Show Designers in 2016 to come to them BEFORE the season started in 2017 and verbally explain to them what their upcoming show themes were all about in terms of its substance and messaging. The DCI judges did so because as a group they admitted that they were sometimes confused with previous years shows, and wanted the DCI Show Designers, if they wanted to, to sit down with them before the season began to explain what their show would be about. I know of a few Corps that took advantage of that outreach and participated in the preseason verbal explanation with the judges ( as well as a few corps that for whatever reason declined to take advantage of that offering ).

Many shows with their themes are highly communicative via music  and visuals, and thus there is no need to " splain " to audiences and judges alike what you are attempting to convey.  There is something amiss in your show design if at the end of your show audiences appreciate the performance from a technical proficiency standpoint, but are confused as heck with what your show was about. Sure, judges eventually get around at some point during the season to having your theme and show  explained to them, but most in the audience around the country at all these shows, have to relie on what they saw and heard on the field from your Corps. I prefer those shows that are able to move me with their show and theme musically and visually in a coherent fashion so that at least at some basic level I understand the show and theme. Otherwise, forget themes, and messaging attempts altogether, and just dazzle us with your performance abilities alone, sans " show themes ". Lord Knows, Corps corps were able to do so for decades without the need for such attempts at introspective navel gazings with some of these shows/ themes that have audiences confused as heck, and even judges themselves of late needing your show  and theme and messaging " splained " to them even before the season begins.

and that process i described began that year. I also noticed that in 17, the number of "what the #### was i watching" shows started reducing in total

15 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

So ge is not the most subjective caption?  👀

nope tics were by far

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Continental said:

I applaud someone having a YouTube channel like this.

I would call it something else though.

March or Bake

March or Cut the Lawn

March or Change the Oil in my Car

...March or Die is a bit extreme.  

March or do something more productive? 🥴

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 8:42 PM, Jeff Ream said:

the band director didn't get it...or the score. However in DCI, there's many opportunities to see judges over the summer, and on several different sheets. that information can be useful, especially early season with so much detailing to be added. Does it make it right? Maybe, maybe not. but it's what the corps decided. so feel free to offer your expertise to the DCI steering committee.

My "expertise" begins and ends only as a Drum Corps Alumni.  The DCI steering Committee won't listen to me about overbearing-large pits, so I doubt they will on this issue either.

4 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

My "expertise" begins and ends only as a Drum Corps Alumni.  The DCI steering Committee won't listen to me about overbearing-large pits, so I doubt they will on this issue either.

as one of the creators for the proposal to ban amplification, i agree they won't listen. so our options are to accept it, or find something else to do with our time.

• Like 2