March or Die thoughts 2021....

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh?

Say corps 1 has a clever staff that uses fancy props effectively to support their theme.  Corps 2 has the same clever staff, but no volunteers capable of constructing fancy props and insufficient excess budget to hire that job out to qualified professionals.  No disadvantage there?

I had alot more typed but just deleted it all. Best way to say it is what Jeff ream said....all true

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

what do you do with what you have and how do you do it is the only thing judged. judges don't take into account those that have more money or more volunteers.

This , This and THIS, thanks for the absolute basic explanation. Sometimes I type to much thinking I'm getting somewhere...lol...Bad  me...lol...thanks DUDE!...lol

33 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I read an article about Steven Spielberg a long time ago.  He said he makes movies that he’d want to watch.  I believe that’s why he’s been so successful.  

I remember some designer (Sully?) who said, no one sets out to design a boring show. 
I believe that’s true.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I read an article about Steven Spielberg a long time ago.  He said he makes movies that he’d want to watch.  I believe that’s why he’s been so successful.  

A good friend in the movie business that was a drum corps person always says, A good "show" should make you laugh, cry, and think .... (then I always added) and took you away from your own personal world/reality for a short time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

same can be said ( and Has ) of high speed whiplash drill that many people love.

Um..no.

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and the most overlooked element of effect...the build into and out of the moments. a moment by itself isn't as good as moment that is built to perfectly

Perfect example:  PR 2008

We knew something was going to happen, we anticipated it, and when it did happen... BOOM!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

This , This and THIS, thanks for the absolute basic explanation. Sometimes I type to much thinking I'm getting somewhere...lol...Bad  me...lol...thanks DUDE!...lol

i taught a band known for props etc and of course everyone assumed we were the Star of marching band financially. Nope....donated stuff, awesome parents and a great design staff with years of experience and success across all branches of the activity...and we did really well. 

and years we didn't have a lot out there were just as good. there was once show...94...where everyone was all in arms about the props. What they don't realize is it was the music captions that won us the show, not the props

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Thank you.  That answered my question.

but yet you're most likely reading way more into it that what i actually typed. the key words are actually what you do, not what you have. BD 11 had all that crap out there to where it looked like Home Extreme Makeover or whatever it was. they didn't win. Crown the space show with all that junk...didn't win. Bloo 15, 17, 18...all that stuff, didn't win. Cadets 16-17 and 19 anyone? Mandarins huge prop? 

just having it does not guarantee success.

• Thanks 2