March or Die thoughts 2021....

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

All have risk. And any risk leading to severe injury is too much be it props or running your ### off at 210 BPM for 9 minutes 

Yes, but there is risk and stupid risk.  The damage from a fall is far worse.  Is this even debatable?

Just now, Mello Dude said:

Yes, but there is risk and stupid risk.  The damage from a fall is far worse.  Is this even debatable?

I would not think it was debatable.  Today in this thread there are people who believe marching or running around is just as risky as falling off a building or stairs. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

You also realize there’s no mandate to use them. As always monkey see monkey do. You act as if this design trend is judge driven and it’s not

Well, it certainly is not just "monkey see, monkey do".  If that were a thing, 2022 will see traditional uniforms, drill and complete musical thoughts be all the rage.

As to your insistence that increasing "stuff" is not "judge driven", you may be correct.  It could be rule driven, sheet driven, or some other form of systemic driver.  But there is clearly a competitive implication for utilizing such "stuff" in DCI shows, or the more competitive corps would not be doing it.

3 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

I run almost everyday. Sometimes in the excess of 100 miles a week. No injuries for 31 years. If I run up a flight of stairs over 6ft tall and jump off, I will not be running the next day. 

Congrats. Running every day like that do you have to be sure you use a specific technique for every step? Stop so often on a dime? Run backwards? Crab?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

I never said it wasn’t stupid. I pointed out other risk that has blown many a knee. Luckily it seems most groups have the safety requirements in place and to date we have had fewer falling off injuries than blown knees or jacked up ankles 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, it certainly is not just "monkey see, monkey do".  If that were a thing, 2022 will see traditional uniforms, drill and complete musical thoughts be all the rage.

As to your insistence that increasing "stuff" is not "judge driven", you may be correct.  It could be rule driven, sheet driven, or some other form of systemic driver.  But there is clearly a competitive implication for utilizing such "stuff" in DCI shows, or the more competitive corps would not be doing it.

The judges don’t make the rules. The rules don’t say you have to use them. No one said you had to try and copy Cadets drill after 83, but everyone started trying.  

it is monkey see monkey do. If someone does something and does it well, then everyone else tries it too. It’s been that way since day 2 of the activity. And at least since 1972 in dci, the judges don’t make the rules or set the criteria for scoring. The corps do.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

What design trends injured the kid in Crown 2010?

Running at crazy speeds and step sizes 

• Like 2