March or Die thoughts 2021....

3 hours ago, craiga said:

I continue to believe that the risk of serious injury to marching members due to fast tempos, props, or solar flares is overstated.  Given the thousands of marchers since DCI's inception, I think the risk is minimal.  Someone referred to the Crown horn player who suffered a broken leg back in 2010, (I think his name was Ryan), and while I don't know him, I know some people who do.  He apparently had been diagnosed with a hairline fracture earlier in the season but wanted to march despite Crown telling him he shouldn't.  If this is true, it looks like it was cumulative.

This is actually a timely discussion for me personally, as for the first time in 40 years of teaching drill, I had a hs band member suffer a horrendous injury this past Thursday night (9/2/21).  It was one of those "ankle snapped and foot turned around backwards" injuries and the poor girl was in agony.  We called 911 and they were there in a flash, sedated her, and transported her to Maine Medical Center. She is now home recovering with a broken ankle.

She was not running breakneck drill, nor did she fall off some huge prop. She was wheeling her marimba back to the school at the end of rehearsal and slipped on some wet grass. 

I'm glad she is recovering! I had a high school student whose leg separated at the knee multiple times over the years while pushing keyboards post-rehearsal.

ELIMINATE THE DANGEROUS FRONT ENSEMBLE! 🙃

Edited by mingusmonk
grammar
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Injuries caused by slips and falls can happen in the most seemingly safest of endeavors.  Science teaches  us however that the more we increase velocity of movement, or height from ground, or add in movement of objects ( people, props, rifles, flags, etc ) around us, the risk of physical injury goes up exponentially. All that said, the numbers of injuries encountered in Drum Corps is far, far less than the numbers in most sports. Drum Corps competition takes place on football fields. Which has more injuries... football games played on these football fields, or Drum Corps competitions on these fields ?  Even sports like soccer, baseball, softball, basketball, have more injuries per participant played than does Drum Corps and/ or Marching Band.

For over a decade, there has been one sport that causes more serious injuries per capita than any other, and it's not close.  That sport is... cheerleading.  Not the Friday night pom-pom shaking version, but the ESPN gymnastics/dance type.  Those kids are practicing on asphalt and concrete or a hardwood floor half the time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, craiga said:

I continue to believe that the risk of serious injury to marching members due to fast tempos, props, or solar flares is overstated.  Given the thousands of marchers since DCI's inception, I think the risk is minimal.  Someone referred to the Crown horn player who suffered a broken leg back in 2010, (I think his name was Ryan), and while I don't know him, I know some people who do.  He apparently had been diagnosed with a hairline fracture earlier in the season but wanted to march despite Crown telling him he shouldn't.  If this is true, it looks like it was cumulative.

This is actually a timely discussion for me personally, as for the first time in 40 years of teaching drill, I had a hs band member suffer a horrendous injury this past Thursday night (9/2/21).  It was one of those "ankle snapped and foot turned around backwards" injuries and the poor girl was in agony.  We called 911 and they were there in a flash, sedated her, and transported her to Maine Medical Center. She is now home recovering with a broken ankle.

She was not running breakneck drill, nor did she fall off some huge prop. She was wheeling her marimba back to the school at the end of rehearsal and slipped on some wet grass. 

So it was not just the company front or whiplash move that took our Ryan it seems. Thank you for the clarification. 

Very sorry to read about your band member and wishes for a safe fast recovery! 

15 hours ago, craiga said:

i agree the amount of risk overall is not that great. But y knee reminds me daily of what DCA drill did to it too. That said i hope the student has a good recovery

Edited by Jeff Ream

11 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

For over a decade, there has been one sport that causes more serious injuries per capita than any other, and it's not close.  That sport is... cheerleading.  Not the Friday night pom-pom shaking version, but the ESPN gymnastics/dance type.  Those kids are practicing on asphalt and concrete or a hardwood floor half the time. 

but Varsity makes money so.....

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 9:39 PM, Jeff Ream said:

as one of the creators for the proposal to ban amplification, i agree they won't listen. so our options are to accept it, or find something else to do with our time.

Thank you fighting the good fight against amplification.  If you can start a proposal to limit the size of pits I will fight with you!  

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Thank you fighting the good fight against amplification.  If you can start a proposal to limit the size of pits I will fight with you!  

nope. i'm fine with it now.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

One of the most negative threads I've ever seen.  Sad. 

new here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1