March or Die thoughts 2021....

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I laugh at "one of the most negative" labels on anything.

This is quite far from the most negative thread on anything posted on here.  Really people, really?  Do you remember when your dry cleaner didn't clean a spot off what you gave them and you were offended?

However, if you want it to be the most negative thread, please post a picture of your shocking reaction to this negative thread.   

Oh my, no pictures.  

Drama

I’m not sure what your dry cleaner reference is all about. The only dry cleaner I know of with regard to drum corps is the “Dry Cleaner from Des Moines” and Bluecoats played it in 2018.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Continental said:

I laugh at "one of the most negative" labels on anything.

This is quite far from the most negative thread on anything posted on here.  Really people, really?  Do you remember when your dry cleaner didn't clean a spot off what you gave them and you were offended?

However, if you want it to be the most negative thread, please post a picture of your shocking reaction to this negative thread.   

Oh my, no pictures.  

Drama

tenor.gif

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Sorry to have offended. I’m out.

You didn’t offend anyone. No need to sign out. I’m going out on a limb here but I think Continental, whom I respect immensely, was trying to get folks to realize that what has been discussed in this thread is far from “ the worst most negative thread” on DCP. I’m still at a loss as to why expressing your honest, heartfelt opinion is met with vitriol by folks who don’t share the same opinion. You think it’s a product of what’s going on outside the drum corps society? Not disrespecting anyone’s opinion here, just asking. Donning my flame retardant suit now.

I love this activity with all my heart, really and truly. I just don’t understand why we , a very small community, are so at odds.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

After three years of threads about sexual abuse, politics and coronavirus... if this is the most negative thread you see, that is great news.

amen

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lance said:

My mistake for not stating that, but yes.

Ream was talking about the petition against A+E earlier.  That was what, 2 decades ago?  I remember a lot of people on here who were very upset about what DCI was becoming, and they were passionate. So many of the people leading the petition (I remember Lancerlady the most) realized that the activity they fell in love with was changing in ways that they couldn't stay onboard with, and they articulated it like adults who gave af about others. 

and some of us adapted and are mostly fine with the activity ( on the field) now

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Sorry to have offended. I’m out.

you weren't offensive at all. i mean you can try to be if you want, but otherwise you were fine

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and some of us adapted and are mostly fine with the activity ( on the field) now

I’ve adapted but I still think they can turn down the volume.  Here’s a good way to tell if it’s too loud:  people are putting their fingers into their ears because it’s so loud it hurts. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

You didn’t offend anyone. No need to sign out. I’m going out on a limb here but I think Continental, whom I respect immensely, was trying to get folks to realize that what has been discussed in this thread is far from “ the worst most negative thread” on DCP. I’m still at a loss as to why expressing your honest, heartfelt opinion is met with vitriol by folks who don’t share the same opinion. You think it’s a product of what’s going on outside the drum corps society? Not disrespecting anyone’s opinion here, just asking. Donning my flame retardant suit now.

I love this activity with all my heart, really and truly. I just don’t understand why we , a very small community, are so at odds.

Thank you Sutasaurus. 

There are people on this thread who I have always admired.  Side conversations have always been welcome and enjoyable.   Yeah, we are on social media.   It's not always bad.  

We have that sense of interaction that makes us kindred spirits in many ways.   A thousand threads, yet someone's posts help us to relate. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was lucky. The worst I ever got during a season was heat stroke and some BAD tendonitis in my wrist (hence my user name...) I could have used "cantmarktimetosavemylife" but it was too long.

TRUTHS:

• The risk of injury overall is small by comparison to other activities with the same physicality.
  • The kids now have MUCH better preparation and physical conditioning than we did (my experience) 
  • In an activity where we are not used to severe injuries as a normal occurrence, ANY severe injury is going to raise alarms AS IT SHOULD
  • Whether on a ramp or on the ground, #### happens and it can be bad. A rifle toss gone wrong, falling with a drum strapped to you, ankle, leg and knee injuries...the list is long. Heck I can hurt myself getting out of bed at this point in my life.
  • Not all injuries are avoidable, but many can be mitigated. Staff and Member training is crucial. 
  • The jump off the ramp at the end of Tilt STILL scares me even though I know it turns out fine. I'm not sure the risk vs reward is worth it. But I am a fan, not a designer so I don't get a say.
  • Like 1