March or Die thoughts 2021....

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I was lucky. The worst I ever got during a season was heat stroke and some BAD tendonitis in my wrist (hence my user name...) I could have used "cantmarktimetosavemylife" but it was too long.

TRUTHS:

• The risk of injury overall is small by comparison to other activities with the same physicality.
  • The kids now have MUCH better preparation and physical conditioning than we did (my experience) 
  • In an activity where we are not used to severe injuries as a normal occurrence, ANY severe injury is going to raise alarms AS IT SHOULD
  • Whether on a ramp or on the ground, #### happens and it can be bad. A rifle toss gone wrong, falling with a drum strapped to you, ankle, leg and knee injuries...the list is long. Heck I can hurt myself getting out of bed at this point in my life.
  • Not all injuries are avoidable, but many can be mitigated. Staff and Member training is crucial. 
  • The jump off the ramp at the end of Tilt STILL scares me even though I know it turns out fine. I'm not sure the risk vs reward is worth it. But I am a fan, not a designer so I don't get a say.

Anyone who did not suffer heat stroke at least once did not have the full Drum Corp experience!  1971 VFW Dallas - Cotton Bowl - OMG - Dead.

I'm curious though.  What do the kids today do to have better preparation and physical conditioning?  We just did calisthenics and stretching.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Anyone who did not suffer heat stroke at least once did not have the full Drum Corp experience!  1971 VFW Dallas - Cotton Bowl - OMG - Dead.

I'm curious though.  What do the kids today do to have better preparation and physical conditioning?  We just did calisthenics and stretching.   

I had a friend who marched Crown a few years back. They had an entire winter regiment that the kids were supposed to follow and additional training in the spring. I have heard that a lot of programs have conditioning coaches, but having been out of it for so long, I don't know the specifics. 

We pretty much did the same thing as you did. Stretching, calisthenics, LOTS of complaining about the heat in Atlanta and occasionally a short run (though usually this was really just running back to sectionals so we didn't get caught slacking off.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

At some point, occasional water consumption was added to the regimen.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

At some point, occasional water consumption was added to the regimen.

Interesting!

We had heard of water, but it was considered for sissies and the Velvet Knights.  Horse-sized salt pills were de rigueur.

Is there no one here that knows Drum Corps existed before 1995 and can testify how hot 1971 VFW Cotton Bowl was!?

Mike!!??

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Interesting!

We had heard of water, but it was considered for sissies and the Velvet Knights.  Horse-sized salt pills were de rigueur.

Is there no one here that knows Drum Corps existed before 1995 and can testify how hot 1971 VFW Cotton Bowl was!?

Mike!!??

1971 Cotton Bowl survivor here. Hotter than hell, yes. The worst ever, not by a longshot. :lol:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I visited a spring training this year, and other rehearsals, and it is so different that the old school days.  When students arrive they get checked out by medical staff.  They get an arrival pack that includes a water jug which must be with them at every rehearsal block. They begin visual rehearsal with stretching, stretching and more stretching and a little yoga.  Water breaks are constant throughout the day.  They travel with an MD and 2 PT’s.  They are fed well with dietary needs provided for.  They get a good amount of down time to recover from long rehearsal days. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I visited a spring training this year, and other rehearsals, and it is so different that the old school days.  When students arrive they get checked out by medical staff.  They get an arrival pack that includes a water jug which must be with them at every rehearsal block. They begin visual rehearsal with stretching, stretching and more stretching and a little yoga.  Water breaks are constant throughout the day.  They travel with an MD and 2 PT’s.  They are fed well with dietary needs provided for.  They get a good amount of down time to recover from long rehearsal days. 

........medical staff!?  physical therapists!?  Wow.  Happy to hear that.  The kids deserve it.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

MikeD marched that show, and may have posted the official three-digit numbers for temperature and humidity on the field.  Wait, found one such post:

135 degrees?  Felt hotter.

8 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

........medical staff!?  physical therapists!?  Wow.  Happy to hear that.  The kids deserve it.  

Yup.  I even was COVID tested by the doc when I visited ST for the day.  I got a lanyard pass to wear before I could sit in the stands in a designated section, saying I was an approved visitor.  Wasn’t allowed near members or staff or inside any of the facilities.

The doc did rapid COVID texting constantly throughout the summer.