March or Die thoughts 2021....

Just now, LabMaster said:

Yup.  I even was COVID tested by the doc when I visited ST for the day.  I got a lanyard pass to wear before I could sit in the stands in a designated section, saying I was an approved visitor.  Wasn’t allowed near members or staff or inside any of the facilities.

The doc did rapid COVID texting constantly throughout the summer.  

Rapid testing .  I’m sure she did rapid texting as well.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

At some point, occasional water consumption was added to the regimen.

Ye' old "Gush & Go." We had salt pills as well LOL. I guess that I was lucky because I was running track and cross country for two of the years that I marched DCI. Oddly enough in thinking about it, we really didn't stretch and hydrate enough in track and CC either.   

8 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

135 degrees?  Felt hotter.

I sometimes believe that people involved in the drum corps activity experienced global warming FAR before the rest of the general population considered it much. I'm a late 80's marcher. But I DO remember Clearwater was STUPID hot and the humidity always seemed even worse than Atlanta. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'm curious though.  What do the kids today do to have better preparation and physical conditioning?  We just did calisthenics and stretching.   

If I heard the phrase yelled out at practice... " water break !! ",...in my marching years, I would have thought some pregnant staffer or volunteer on the sidelines needed to be rushed to the hospital as it was time for " tossing babies " in Drum Corps.😀

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Now for something completely different.  I know no one cares besides me but this is my favorite musical moment of 2019.  https://youtu.be/ZlEW28HxMME

It’s really nice and maybe it’s just me but it reminds me of Santa Clara’s opener the year before.  Which I really liked as well.

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Now for something completely different.  I know no one cares besides me but this is my favorite musical moment of 2019.  https://youtu.be/ZlEW28HxMME

Road to Perdition.....Northern Lights Winter guard did it I think in 04 and youre right..Just as haunting as the original...great moment..at least in my opinion.. 🙂

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It's brilliant. I don't know of any musician who wouldn't love to perform that piece. I haven't watched it in a while but this made me watch the whole show again. Thanks Terri

• Like 1

I think Craiga's post earlier in this thread sum up my feelings too. 2021 was a Blast! Too short unfortunately, but a blast nonetheless. But his general comment about corps having to appeal to 16 to 21 year old youth is very true. The activity survives by first finding people who wish to march. The fans are important too and do provide the revenue needed to tie it all together. As with most things in life you can't control innovation, change, style, etc. when it comes to the design process of a show. This is because influences come from all over. They come from past years of classic drum corps, which we got to see quite a bit of this past summer, and they come from today's music scene including art, theater, dance and more. The 70s in America were different from the 80s, the 90s, and on and on. There is no way of controlling that in a free enterprise. The imagination is a powerful thing. 

What 2021 may have done, however, is show designers that sometimes the old becomes new again...just like in life. Uniforms can be a powerful thing. Music with long phrases and easily discernable melodies and harmonies can be powerful. Audiences react to those things. Field drill in a traditional sense has not died yet. These are all good things and I am sure designers will incorporate these things for years to come. But just as pop music (and other styles) changes over the course of time, and just as art and theater change over time, so will the imagination of what can be done at the DCI level. It can be done well and still be entertaining. In 2019 the Bluecoats and Blue Devils were plenty entertaining. 

I believe 2022 will be a blast! Fingers crossed for a full and amazing season. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 9

14 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Road to Perdition.....Northern Lights Winter guard did it I think in 04 and youre right..Just as haunting as the original...great moment..at least in my opinion.. 🙂

Believe it or not, I read the graphic novel before the movie was made.  Sam Mendes and Thomas Newman brought it to life beautifully. 

• Like 1