March or Die thoughts 2021....

On 9/11/2021 at 4:50 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

Interesting!

We had heard of water, but it was considered for sissies and the Velvet Knights.  Horse-sized salt pills were de rigueur.

Is there no one here that knows Drum Corps existed before 1995 and can testify how hot 1971 VFW Cotton Bowl was!?

Mike!!??

As was shown, I have commented on the 71 Dallas heat. Absolutely awful in our wool Cadet uniforms. For prelims it was 135 on the field according to two stadium workers I heard talking as we (Garfield) came onto the field.

Our unis were already damp, as we had marched a Dolphin/49'er preseason halftime in Miami the week before VFWs in Dallas. It poured on us that evening, totally drenching our uniforms. There was actually a photo in one of the Miami newspapers showing our marching timpani line with water bouncing off the drums. The great folks who maintained our unis (led by Aunt Nellie!!!!) did the very best job they could to dry them out between that exhibition and VFWs, but they were still damp and sticky, on top of the heat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

As was shown, I have commented on the 71 Dallas heat. Absolutely awful in our wool Cadet uniforms. For prelims it was 135 on the field according to two stadium workers I heard talking as we (Garfield) came onto the field.

Our unis were already damp, as we had marched a Dolphin/49'er preseason halftime in Miami the week before VFWs in Dallas. It poured on us that evening, totally drenching our uniforms. There was actually a photo in one of the Miami newspapers showing our marching timpani line with water bouncing off the drums. The great folks who maintained our unis (led by Aunt Nellie!!!!) did the very best job they could to dry them out between that exhibition and VFWs, but they were still damp and sticky, on top of the heat.

Y’all must have smelled like wet dogs! 

• Haha 1

Major props to the volunteers who kept our uniforms respectable.(We at ST.Rocco's Cadets) had uniforms similar in style to Garfield...yeah, they could become funky..By the time I joined the Skyliners, I was working, so I had my uni dry cleaned two or three times during the season.I used to envy Blessed Sacrament because their uniforms looked light and airy (Black and Gold)..peace

• Like 2

10 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

Major props to the volunteers who kept our uniforms respectable.(We at ST.Rocco's Cadets) had uniforms similar in style to Garfield...yeah, they could become funky..By the time I joined the Skyliners, I was working, so I had my uni dry cleaned two or three times during the season.I used to envy Blessed Sacrament because their uniforms looked light and airy (Black and Gold)..peace

I could literally smell the Kilties coming.   

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I could literally smell the Kilties coming.   

I remember marching in the all wool Cadet style uniforms 72-74. Ewwweee. Those suckers caused major rashes! The double knit pants that replaced the wool weren’t that much better.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I remember marching in the all wool Cadet style uniforms 72-73. Ewwweee. Those suckers caused major rashes! The double knit pants that replaced the wool weren’t that much better.

It wasn’t pretty.  And that was pre-gold bond.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

It wasn’t pretty.  And that was pre-gold bond.  

You know, khaki pants, khaki shirt and accents were pretty comfortable. The worst part was that we had to press our shirts before every show — or at least when we could. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, MikeD said:

By the beginning of August, the mold patterns on the inside lining of our cadets made good Rorschach tests.  I don't think they truly dried out until sometime after Halloween.  

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

By the beginning of August, the mold patterns on the inside lining of our cadets made good Rorschach tests.  I don't think they truly dried out until sometime after Halloween.  

I used to turn my jacket inside out. I’ll never forget the bus funk. Ever. 🤮

I am reading this thread and I'm trying to recall just when the drum corps activity stumbled onto the idea of hydrating the corps members.  You guys are right...back in the 70s and at least early 80s we didn't have water jugs...we just took salt pills which probably made things worse.  On a hot day (typically a prelims show) there were always kids going down.

When did the individual IGLOO water jugs for each member start becoming a thing?  Late 80s?  Early 90s?

I recall a few years ago when we were having a terrible August heat wave nation wide, the NBS Nightly news did a story on it and showed folks going into cooling shelters and also showed a drum corps rehearsing out in it but highlighted their water breaks and showed the kids doing a "gush and go".  (It may have been the Colts, iirc)