March or Die thoughts 2021....

51 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I have written shows as well as judged. Not all " stuff " equals success nor a guarantee of success.  It all comes down to how well someone does something OR how well something is used and IF it adds or detracts from a program.

So the "stuff" does add, if used right?

44 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Then why are all corps doing it since it costs an amazing amount?  When marching and playing are not given equal or MORE credit for demand that falls on judges and the way they interpret sheets.

The corps can write anything they want on the sheets.  Those that judge and interpret those sheets hold sway and the direction everyone will travel to achieve "score".

Opinions based on evidence and empirical evidence are something to behold.

No the direction is where corps want to go. They decide . I also heard the cost argument over the years with the pit, multiple flag changes etc etc..again, bottom line....corps have made these decisions..the good or bad  of that

Opinion or fact...depends who one wants to talk to

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

So the "stuff" does add, if used right?

everything on the field adds or subtracts from a program..its the how and why. If a corps wants to present something expect it to affect the entire production  good or bad...A comparison although small would be a flag color choice...does it add or subtract from the musical production, create a mood, set the stage....now of course one can also have an opinion on that I suppose.

Again, it will change( or not ) when corps want it to change, and not before. that is the bottom line

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, then, it should be of no consequence if we just ended the practice by banning their use, right?

Who is " we " ?  The DCI Corps themselves approved the use of props. If they are to be " banned ", then that can happen if enough of these Corps share your quest to have props in shows banned.  There are a few things I'd like see see changed too. But I have no real skin in the game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

It was just a question from one person to another, not a formal proposal to the DCI Rules Congress or a call to end all democracy.

But since I have your attention - this is not the first time we have heard this sort of double-speak about the ever-increasing array of "stuff" in drum corps.  Whatever kind of "stuff" it may be (any-key, any-brass, any-pit-percussion, anything electronic, props, tarps, annual recostuming), there is this fervent fight to include it in an activity of limited financial resources.  Yet, at the same time, there is this fervent denial that it has any affect on the score a corps receives. 

Where do you stand on those two issues?  Do you think this "stuff" should be in drum corps?  And do you think it adds anything to the scoring power of a competitive show?

I'm for the return of Honor Guards,  mandatory Flag Presentations in shows, and dancing banned in Drum Corps. Are ya with me ? Get rid of all " the stuff " I don't like. Are you with me on that too ? ☺️

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Actually, the "we" are the judges that interpret the sheets.  It's almost like a bubble reality here where reality is not what you think it is.  If stuff = "score", in which the evidence is pretty damning...show me on the sheet where this written......hmmmmmm

The reality is that the judges judge the shows on the judging sheets that these Corps approved. The reality is that there is no outcry from the Corps that their placements and scores were out of wack. The non reality " bubble world " for you is that you believe your reality of the discontent with the sheets. scores, placements is shared by the Corps  themselves that are judged and scored under the current system. But without evidence of such widespread discontent by the Corps themselves on scores and placements and the body of work by the judging community,  there is no support from the Corps to change the sheets, nor how the judges currently score these corps. THATS the reality. Do  some fans live in a " bubble world " of what should and should not be allowed on the field, and what should and should not be rewarded on the field of competition ?Oh sure. No doubt. Same as it ever was. DCI, or pre DCI years. You name the decade, some fans were having frustrations on what they were seeing/ hearing on the field, and with what the judges were rewarding that some fans did not approve of. But Judges are not sent here from Heaven ( or sent up from that other place ). They are approved by the Corps. And God did not send down from the Mount the 10 Commandments of what should be a venial or mortal sin in display by Corps on the Field. The Corps chose this. They voted for it.  In every decade.  Blame the Corps for this system you apparently don't like. Its not the judges that are to blame for your discontent and/ or frustration with what they do.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

I'm for the return of Honor Guards,  mandatory Flag Presentations in shows, and dancing banned in Drum Corps. Are ya with me ? Get rid of all " the stuff " I don't like. Are you with me on that too ? ☺️

I don't know about cixelsyd but I sure am! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Same as it ever was. DCI, or pre DCI years. You name the decade, some fans were having frustrations on what they were seeing/ hearing on the field, and with what the judges were rewarding that some fans did not approve of. 

Fact Check...............TRUE!

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

No the direction is where corps want to go. They decide . I also heard the cost argument over the years with the pit, multiple flag changes etc etc..again, bottom line....corps have made these decisions..the good or bad  of that

Opinion or fact...depends who one wants to talk to

Guardling, you have posted here for quite a while.

I make it a point to read what you post.  You don't get into the arguments that occur, yet you always post a very logical and well thought out reply to some other crap on here.  

it's obvious you have experience.  It's also obvious you have experience to not challenge people who want to argue with you on a public forum. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Continental said:

Guardling, you have posted here for quite a while.

I make it a point to read what you post.  You don't get into the arguments that occur, yet you always post a very logical and well thought out reply to some other crap on here.  

it's obvious you have experience.  It's also obvious you have experience to not challenge people who want to argue with you on a public forum. 

Thank You 🙂 It can be a challenge...lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1