March or Die thoughts 2021....

47 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

AND some  worry about electronics, props or a sock color..lol..kidding aside, over the next decade or 2 we will see more and more things available to corps I believe. Who would have thought we would see what we already do only a few years ago. It's coming for sure, the good or bad of that. Depending who one chooses to talk to..lol

Here’s some video of “Spot”.  https://www.kbia.org/2021-10-01/spot-the-robot-to-perform-with-the-mizzou-marching-band-during-football-halftime-show

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:51 AM, cixelsyd said:

That sounds like there are four options, two of which could "elicit a positive response":

dislike

apathy

slotting

Otherwise, you will have to explain how something can elicit a positive response from you when you do not like it at all.

“Like” is not how the show is judged. Does the show/performance check off the criteria the corps have decided is how they want to be evaluated? That is how judging works. You rank and rate your caption against the various criteria. Personally liking a show is not part of the mix. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

"Elicit a positive response from the listener" IS one of the criteria on the sheet.

(Starting to see that there is a greater disconnect between audience and judges than I even thought possible.)

Yes it is one of the criteria. As s judge you can tell if the dhow is having s positive response by the crowd, whether or not you “like” the show on a personal level.

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Yes it is one of the criteria. As s judge you can tell if the dhow is having s positive response by the crowd, whether or not you “like” the show on a personal level.

The judge goes by the crowd on that criteria?  Really?

That contradicts the minuscule portion of judging I thought I did understand.

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

The judge goes by the crowd on that criteria?  Really?

I doubt that.  The judge should be sufficiently street-wise to separate generic cheering (home team, for instance) from a specific response to some portion of the show that the crowd genuinely liked.  (Oops, that word again.)

On 10/4/2021 at 5:55 PM, cixelsyd said:

I doubt that.  The judge should be sufficiently street-wise to separate generic cheering (home team, for instance) from a specific response to some portion of the show that the crowd genuinely liked.  (Oops, that word again.)

My understanding is that audience reaction is a something a judge can take into consideration among other criteria but I’m not sure how much of a role it actually plays. I don’t say this to be cynical. Like many, I do not always agree with the judging, but I can usually set my bias aside and understand why a show places where it does. However I’ve said before, if audience response really played a significant role, Bloo and Crown would have more than one title each. I would even venture that if audience response played more of a role in 2019, Bloo would have topped BD, Crown would have surprised SCV, and Cavies and BAC would have been battling each other for spots higher than 5th and 6th. As I say this I also know someone sitting in another section of a Lucas Oil and saw Atlanta rather than Allentown may believe the audience reacted differently than I claim.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tim K said:

My understanding is that audience reaction is a something a judge can take into consideration among other criteria but I’m not sure how much of a role it actually plays. I don’t say this to be cynical. Like many, I do not always agree with the judging, but I can usually set my bias aside and understand why a show places where it does. However I’ve said before, if audience response really played a significant role, Bloo and Crown would have more than one title each. I would even venture that if audience response played more of a role in 2019, Bloo would have topped BD, Crown would have surprised SCV, and Cavies and BAC would have been battling each other for spots higher than 5th and 6th. As I say this I also know someone sitting in another section of a Lucas Oil and saw Atlanta rather than Allentown may believe the audience reacted differently than I claim.

Go back even further….

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Go back even further….

Well, yes. Phantom would have had at least two titles (probably three) in the 1970’s.

On 10/4/2021 at 8:09 AM, cixelsyd said:

"Elicit a positive response from the listener" IS one of the criteria on the sheet.

(Starting to see that there is a greater disconnect between audience and judges than I even thought possible.)

positive doesn't mean you have to like it.

consisting in or characterized by the presence or possession of features or qualities rather than their absence.

formally laid down or imposed

directed or moving toward a source of stimulation

certain and without any doubt

all from several dictionaries, and none have anything to do with "like".

a dark and scary moment can elicit a positive response. why? the emotional, the aesthetic, even the intellectual...the moment moved you in some form. Same for a sad moment...

a positive response does not equal "like"

trust me several positive responses have been elicited of me by various DCP posters...but that doesnt mean i "liked" them.

and the sheets have NEVER been designed for the audience. they've been designed by the corps since the formation of DCI. and prior to DCI, any sheets used were created by the circuit that wanted them used, not the fans.