March or Die thoughts 2021....

On 10/4/2021 at 3:44 PM, skevinp said:

The judge goes by the crowd on that criteria?  Really?

That contradicts the minuscule portion of judging I thought I did understand.

judges can certainly take crowd reaction into consideration, but i doubt it would be the sole basis of their decision.

of course judges, as i heard a famous ( or infamous depending on how one views her) east coast judge doing a DCA show praising how a corps performance was being eaten up by the crowd....that was sitting on their hands. like literally.

Edited by Jeff Ream

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

positive doesn't mean you have to like it.

consisting in or characterized by the presence or possession of features or qualities rather than their absence.

formally laid down or imposed

directed or moving toward a source of stimulation

certain and without any doubt

all from several dictionaries, and none have anything to do with "like".

You have been involved in the percussive arts in various roles for decades.  Do you "like" percussion, or are you just "consisting in or characterized by the presence or possession of features or qualities of percussion rather than their absence"?

Okay, I have not explained myself adequately.  Starting over.

You linked to a WGI percussion effect sheet, and asked where "like" is listed, implied or even hinted at.  I cited the phrase "elicits positive responses from the listener".  It is worded in third-person; therefore, it does not ask for the personal preference of the judge, but rather whether the judge feels that the effect elicits positive responses from a general audience.  I think that positive responses imply that the listener likes something about what they are hearing.

Do you think that phrase does not even hint at likability?

The pervasiveness of this thread over the remaining minutiae of points is fascinating. It has gotten parsed down to a couple of tiny cells that were a part of the full OP organism yet it still thrives. Bravo.

• Haha 2

appreciation is a positive response.  i can appreciate many creative products that i don't happen to like.  for example, i appreciate the craftsmanship of most of hemingway's work, but i don't like them enough to read them for fun.  just not my thing.  i prefer the work of several of his contemporaries, but that doesn't mean i can't evaluate the craftsmanship itself. 

same with different bands, composers, genres, and on and on and on.  

rubrics like dci scoresheets try to eliminate subjectivity as much as possible, but it's impossible for any rubric not to have gaps.  member corps fill in those gaps for adjudicators, they don't just default to "hey i like this, i'll score it higher".  

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 8:09 AM, cixelsyd said:

"Elicit a positive response from the listener" IS one of the criteria on the sheet.

This is accurate.  its found on the GE Music caption ( one of the 5-11 judging captions utilized ,depending upon whether its a partial or a full panel utilized at the show competition. ).

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

The pervasiveness of this thread over the remaining minutiae of points is fascinating. It has gotten parsed down to a couple of tiny cells that were a part of the full OP organism yet it still thrives. Bravo.

Waiting for the discussion on where the commas are placed and what that means. 😈

• Haha 2

On 10/4/2021 at 1:56 PM, MikeD said:

“Like” is not how the show is judged. Does the show/performance check off the criteria the corps have decided is how they want to be evaluated? That is how judging works. You rank and rate your caption against the various criteria. Personally liking a show is not part of the mix. 

Yes. .. true. I  believe that judges are capable of properly separating their personal likes level with  a genre of music, from how the music played in performance checks off the important boxes on the sheets before them. 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

I can't stop at least skimming these cause i'm wating for the "It depends on what the definition of 'is' is." moment.

• Haha 2