March or Die thoughts 2021....

8 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

LOL. I tried to find that show when I was trying to explain drum corps to Britt the first time. I finally found it on Prime Video but you had to pay $4.99 an episode or some such thing. I would rather eat lint than pay even $1.00 to watch that again. 

Wise move.  It was dog 💩 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Beach Balls Jeff...you forgot beach balls. 

only one corps really got that

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I need a remedial course in show themes. Here I’ve just been sitting back and enjoying the music and marching off and on since 1974 (gag). What I “should” be doing is looking for every little piece of the theme, what it means, how it all fits together, etc 😈

i don't. i find ways to enjoy shows without having to dig too deep. if i can't, well, then i dont like the show

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, skevinp said:

I never know whether to baste my airhorns or just leave them in the oven.

sautee

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i don't. i find ways to enjoy shows without having to dig too deep. if i can't, well, then i dont like the show

That's the thing. A drum corps show should be in some ways, like a really good movie. It should entertain and engage you. Some will dive deeper into the plot and find different branches of that enjoyment and some will not. Sometimes I think that's why movie critics seem to always hate movies in general. People should stop for a minute and just enjoy the music and motion.  

• Like 1

After calming down a little (emphasis little) I want to clarify why I am upset enough to walk away. Laugh if you want but I spent my life trying to be the person others can trust and will come to if they have a problem and need help. Given some of the problems people have brought to me it has worked.

There were things posted about me that were not true (diplomatic way of saying it). Bad enough a total stranger says these things but when others “like” these “untruths” (including someone who knows me personally) it’s time to go. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Wise move.  It was dog 💩 

Oh I know LOL. I watched it when it was on and it sucked then. BUT....it's still the only thing I have seen on mainstream TV that has ANY true reflection on Drum Corps.  

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That's the thing. A drum corps show should be in some ways, like a really good movie. It should entertain and engage you. Some will dive deeper into the plot and find different branches of that enjoyment and some will not. Sometimes I think that's why movie critics seem to always hate movies in general. People should stop for a minute and just enjoy the music and motion.  

And that aspect is where our activity loses perspective, IMO.

Only some people will innately understand (or do research in order to grasp) the significance of how props, tarps, costuming choices or flag design relate to the show theme, and other similar intellectual or aesthetic effects that are achieved by "stuff" rather than performance.  Meanwhile, there are more basic elements (uniformity, dynamics, staging, to name a few) which affect everyone when they are achieved.  Which ought to be assigned more importance in scoring?

19 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And that aspect is where our activity loses perspective, IMO.

Only some people will innately understand (or do research in order to grasp) the significance of how props, tarps, costuming choices or flag design relate to the show theme, and other similar intellectual or aesthetic effects that are achieved by "stuff" rather than performance.  Meanwhile, there are more basic elements (uniformity, dynamics, staging, to name a few) which affect everyone when they are achieved.  Which ought to be assigned more importance in scoring?

I can agree with that. And the question that you ask is and will most likely, always be the sticking point. I don't even think you can BEGIN to really answer that question until it can be determined how to score things like traditional horizontal staging of shows against a corps with a more modern vertical approach. 

Some people will say "times change and corps have to adapt to the new design elements." And they have a point...up to a point. But from the outside of the design model looking in, how can you expect a corps with a lower top 12 end budget to compete with BD and Bluecoats on production scale? Should they be scored lower because they can't keep up with the Joneses? 

This is such a hard nut to crack.  

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I can agree with that. And the question that you ask is and will most likely, always be the sticking point. I don't even think you can BEGIN to really answer that question until it can be determined how to score things like traditional horizontal staging of shows against a corps with a more modern vertical approach. 

This whole "vertical" thing has me at a loss.

I have to step up on a chair to change this one light bulb.  No one here is any more appreciative of that today than they were in 1972.  But I suppose that in the Czapinski household, whomever changes the light bulbs is now getting standing ovations.

• Haha 3