March or Die thoughts 2021....

1 hour ago, njthundrrd said:

You guys made me think on this..

• The WHAT and the HOW are still adjudicated. They are (for the most part) the top vs the bottom half of the sheet in most circuits.
  • HORIZONTAL refers to the "through line" of a show ... and VERTICAL refers to "moments" in the show, like an EKG. There might be a smaller vertical moment that is the precursor to a larger vertical moment, for example, and how are those placed along the horizontal line. And is the horizontal line even complete to begin with? (which is a problem with inexperienced designers, usually)
    • Some very mature or well designed/produced shows also have multiple HORIZONTAL lines.
  • And do not forget that there is EMOTIONAL, INTELLECTUAL, and AESTHETIC effect potential triadic thoughts for designers.
  • Along with FORM, BODY, and EQUIPMENT potential triadic responsibilities for the performers. Which works well with the "multiplicity of demand" that people like Clarke Williams and Barry Swain used to talk about for many years, which now is referred to as "simultaneous responsibilities."

...........Modern Drum Corps judging is THAT complicated?  Oy.

Anyway, thank you for explaining.

24 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I doubt that.  Whiplash drill has been around for 40 years.  How many have been killed by it?

True LOL. Though if you happen to be carrying a set of Ludwig quints in the 80's it can certainly FEEL like it's gonna kill you even if it isn't exactly whiplash drill. THAT I can assure of. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

That's the thing. A drum corps show should be in some ways, like a really good movie. It should entertain and engage you. Some will dive deeper into the plot and find different branches of that enjoyment and some will not. Sometimes I think that's why movie critics seem to always hate movies in general. People should stop for a minute and just enjoy the music and motion.  

i will always use BD 14 as a case in point for this. The world at large has no clue who Fellini was or his movies. I knew the name but i don't think i've ever seen his stuff, and doing a quick bit of research i was sure i wouldn't really be into his moves.

but BD made it work for the casual fan as well as those who wanted to go super deep, performed better than any corps in DCI history and won running away. in fact is was their first victory since 07 that was more liked than not.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

This whole "vertical" thing has me at a loss.

I have to step up on a chair to change this one light bulb.  No one here is any more appreciative of that today than they were in 1972.  But I suppose that in the Czapinski household, whomever changes the light bulbs is now getting standing ovations.

depends on the color of the light

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

You guys made me think on this..

• The WHAT and the HOW are still adjudicated. They are (for the most part) the top vs the bottom half of the sheet in most circuits.
  • HORIZONTAL refers to the "through line" of a show ... and VERTICAL refers to "moments" in the show, like an EKG. There might be a smaller vertical moment that is the precursor to a larger vertical moment, for example, and how are those placed along the horizontal line. And is the horizontal line even complete to begin with? (which is a problem with inexperienced designers, usually)
    • Some very mature or well designed/produced shows also have multiple HORIZONTAL lines.
  • And do not forget that there is EMOTIONAL, INTELLECTUAL, and AESTHETIC effect potential triadic thoughts for designers.
  • Along with FORM, BODY, and EQUIPMENT potential triadic responsibilities for the performers. Which works well with the "multiplicity of demand" that people like Clarke Williams and Barry Swain used to talk about for many years, which now is referred to as "simultaneous responsibilities."

and the most overlooked element of effect...the build into and out of the moments. a moment by itself isn't as good as moment that is built to perfectly

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Oh?

Say corps 1 has a clever staff that uses fancy props effectively to support their theme.  Corps 2 has the same clever staff, but no volunteers capable of constructing fancy props and insufficient excess budget to hire that job out to qualified professionals.  No disadvantage there?

what do you do with what you have and how do you do it is the only thing judged. judges don't take into account those that have more money or more volunteers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

I doubt that.  Whiplash drill has been around for 40 years.  How many have been killed by it?

killed? No. a myriad of injuries, especially to legs and knees? tons

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

...........Modern Drum Corps judging is THAT complicated?  Oy.

Anyway, thank you for explaining.

Not really that complicated. These are just some general concepts that carry over multiple captions from over the years between band, indoor, and drum corps.