March or Die thoughts 2021....

38 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The judges don’t make the rules. The rules don’t say you have to use them. No one said you had to try and copy Cadets drill after 83, but everyone started trying.  

it is monkey see monkey do. If someone does something and does it scores well, then everyone else tries it too. It’s been that way since day 2 of the activity. And at least since 1972 in dci, the judges don’t make the rules or set the criteria for scoring. The corps do.

I agree with you (subject to that one edit I made there).

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Congrats. Running every day like that do you have to be sure you use a specific technique for every step? Stop so often on a dime? Run backwards? Crab?

Cute but not even a comparison in the pounding as someone who has run at NCAA and Elite levels. Its not even close to the amount of use I have gotten out of my joints and legs. Your post shows how much you don't know about exercise sports and marching. I marched 6 years with all of the technic used today. 

11 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

They placed 2nd by half a point, beating 39 other corps... ten years ago, the last time a prop-free show won DCI.  What do you think that proves?

That actually raises an interesting question…what was the last prop-free show in finals competition?

4 hours ago, Swamptihs said:

Cute but not even a comparison in the pounding as someone who has run at NCAA and Elite levels. Its not even close to the amount of use I have gotten out of my joints and legs. Your post shows how much you don't know about exercise sports and marching. I marched 6 years with all of the technic used today. 

you're right it's not. but also for the elite and NCAA, they get far more proper training than DCI or its corps ever provided on how to maximize what your body can and can't do.

I continue to believe that the risk of serious injury to marching members due to fast tempos, props, or solar flares is overstated.  Given the thousands of marchers since DCI's inception, I think the risk is minimal.  Someone referred to the Crown horn player who suffered a broken leg back in 2010, (I think his name was Ryan), and while I don't know him, I know some people who do.  He apparently had been diagnosed with a hairline fracture earlier in the season but wanted to march despite Crown telling him he shouldn't.  If this is true, it looks like it was cumulative.

This is actually a timely discussion for me personally, as for the first time in 40 years of teaching drill, I had a hs band member suffer a horrendous injury this past Thursday night (9/2/21).  It was one of those "ankle snapped and foot turned around backwards" injuries and the poor girl was in agony.  We called 911 and they were there in a flash, sedated her, and transported her to Maine Medical Center. She is now home recovering with a broken ankle.

She was not running breakneck drill, nor did she fall off some huge prop. She was wheeling her marimba back to the school at the end of rehearsal and slipped on some wet grass. 

• Like 3

Yikes, Craig. Hope she recovers soon. 

I just remember that poor Blue Stars snare drummer this year tripping up on that big ol' tarp at full speed towards the end of the program and falling to the ground with drum on and at full force. Fortunately, she got right back up and back in line almost immediately, but to think what sort of damage that could have caused makes me shiver. 

Overall, now that my time in DCI is done, the risk management involved makes my brain twitch.  With my OC group, we had a handful of severe injuries.  My kiddo had two of them.  

Our corps' one actual omg life-dangerous injury was due to... a guard member getting hit in the head by a rifle toss during spring training.  Quick reaction by the mayor of the town (certified EMT) there to watch practice got her an airlift and saved her from worse. 

I have feelings now when I see guards throw things.  😪

Mike

Injuries caused by slips and falls can happen in the most seemingly safest of endeavors.  Science teaches  us however that the more we increase velocity of movement, or height from ground, or add in movement of objects ( people, props, rifles, flags, etc ) around us, the risk of physical injury goes up exponentially. All that said, the numbers of injuries encountered in Drum Corps is far, far less than the numbers in most sports. Drum Corps competition takes place on football fields. Which has more injuries... football games played on these football fields, or Drum Corps competitions on these fields ?  Even sports like soccer, baseball, softball, basketball, have more injuries per participant played than does Drum Corps and/ or Marching Band.