March or Die thoughts 2021....

On 9/7/2021 at 12:16 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

For over a decade, there has been one sport that causes more serious injuries per capita than any other, and it's not close.  That sport is... cheerleading.  Not the Friday night pom-pom shaking version, but the ESPN gymnastics/dance type.  Those kids are practicing on asphalt and concrete or a hardwood floor half the time. 

I think you may find that many high school cheer programs have a fall program where the focus is on football games and winter programs where there is a competitive program and the injuries in the competitive program can be huge. Add to this the drama and at times cut throat competition. I have not been involved with a school that has had a competitive cheer program for a few years now but a major problem is that judging organizations and circuits are not governed by scholastic athletic associations that govern most sports. Cheer organizations are like Varsity that Jim mentioned and are for profit and competition cut throat. While you could say WGI for guards, percussion and wind ensembles and BOA are not scholastic governed, there are enough people involved in both organizations that are educators, especially band directors who are in most cases certified teachers. This would make a big difference. On a side note, I know a woman who taught high school English and also directed the school’s winter guard. There were things that she wanted to do with the guard that the school would not allow her to do that the cheer squad could do. The ironic thing is the  guard members often had a dance or gymnastics background that the cheer squad did not. 

12 hours ago, Lance said:

One of the most negative threads I've ever seen.  Sad. 

Yup. This thread and the other rage against the current state of drum corps threads has turned me into an occasional poster.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

After three years of threads about sexual abuse, politics and coronavirus... if this is the most negative thread you see, that is great news.

How about one of the most negative series of threads regarding the state of the art of drum corps. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

How about one of the most negative series of threads regarding the state of the art of drum corps. 

My mistake for not stating that, but yes.

Ream was talking about the petition against A+E earlier.  That was what, 2 decades ago?  I remember a lot of people on here who were very upset about what DCI was becoming, and they were passionate. So many of the people leading the petition (I remember Lancerlady the most) realized that the activity they fell in love with was changing in ways that they couldn't stay onboard with, and they articulated it like adults who gave af about others. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I guess that depends on how you look at it.

This discussion started primarily because several corps did "throwback" shows, and it is contended that not only did viewers appreciate them, but so did the corps members who performed them.  That seems positive to me.

Admittedly, there is a majority intuition that this was a one-time event in 2021, not to be repeated when we return to competition next year.  So what follows is both lamenting the end of that phenomenon (negative) and celebrating how great it was while it lasted (positive).  That is not unusual for threads in the immediate post-season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I guess that depends on how you look at it.

This discussion started primarily because several corps did "throwback" shows, and it is contended that not only did viewers appreciate them, but so did the corps members who performed them.  That seems positive to me.

Admittedly, there is a majority intuition that this was a one-time event in 2021, not to be repeated when we return to competition next year.  So what follows is both lamenting the end of that phenomenon (negative) and celebrating how great it was while it lasted (positive).  That is not unusual for threads in the immediate post-season.

Fair enough.

I laugh at "one of the most negative" labels on anything.

This is quite far from the most negative thread on anything posted on here.  Really people, really?  Do you remember when your dry cleaner didn't clean a spot off what you gave them and you were offended?

However, if you want it to be the most negative thread, please post a picture of your shocking reaction to this negative thread.   

Oh my, no pictures.  

Drama

Edited by Continental
  • Thanks 1