March or Die thoughts 2021....

8 minutes ago, craiga said:

I am reading this thread and I'm trying to recall just when the drum corps activity stumbled onto the idea of hydrating the corps members.  You guys are right...back in the 70s and at least early 80s we didn't have water jugs...we just took salt pills which probably made things worse.  On a hot day (typically a prelims show) there were always kids going down.

When did the individual IGLOO water jugs for each member start becoming a thing?  Late 80s?  Early 90s?

I recall a few years ago when we were having a terrible August heat wave nation wide, the NBS Nightly news did a story on it and showed folks going into cooling shelters and also showed a drum corps rehearsing out in it but highlighted their water breaks and showed the kids doing a "gush and go".  (It may have been the Colts, iirc)

I am not certain about when drum corps began using the water jugs, but during the late 80’s/early 90’s I worked at summer programs that were part camp, part academic enrichment. When I first started, I can’t recall water breaks but at the end of my time working at the programs, there were very specific guidelines about keeping kids hydrated as well as making sure kids did not share water bottles. My thought is drum corps probably had similar policies. 

At the time I worked at these programs, there would often be a drum corps rehearsing at least once or twice each year. It was at B.C. High in Dorchester, MA. One year it was particularly hot and an older retired Jesuit got a hose and when the corps took a break, he hosed very happy marching members who found it refreshing. I don’t recall which corps got the unexpected but appreciated  shower, but it would have been a corps traveled to Boston and rehearsed at B.C. High or U Mass Boston between 1986-1992. The corps was coed so it wasn’t Madison or Cavies, and since at that time  I knew more marchers, instructors, and volunteers, I’m thinking it was not BAC, Cadets, or Crossmen. 

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I am reading this thread and I'm trying to recall just when the drum corps activity stumbled onto the idea of hydrating the corps members.  You guys are right...back in the 70s and at least early 80s we didn't have water jugs...we just took salt pills which probably made things worse.  On a hot day (typically a prelims show) there were always kids going down.

When did the individual IGLOO water jugs for each member start becoming a thing?  Late 80s?  Early 90s?

I recall a few years ago when we were having a terrible August heat wave nation wide, the NBS Nightly news did a story on it and showed folks going into cooling shelters and also showed a drum corps rehearsing out in it but highlighted their water breaks and showed the kids doing a "gush and go".  (It may have been the Colts, iirc)

We had a metal one in 1978 but it was definitely not enough to water down a full corps.  I remember drinking a lot of bugs that were floating around in it but I was so thirsty I didn’t give a ####.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

I remember marching in the all wool Cadet style uniforms 72-74. Ewwweee. Those suckers caused major rashes! The double knit pants that replaced the wool weren’t that much better.

Oh yes! We used to go through tubes of A&D ointment after some of the parades on hot days! OUCH!!!!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I used to turn my jacket inside out. I’ll never forget the bus funk. Ever. 🤮

Our main uniform person, Aunt Nellie, lived close to Garfield HS. She had a fenced in yard, and she would hang our unis inside out all around her fence to air them out as often as possible. We as members did not really have access to our unis outside of performance times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

We had a metal one in 1978 but it was definitely not enough to water down a full corps.  I remember drinking a lot of bugs that were floating around in it but I was so thirsty I didn’t give a ####.  

We sometimes had metal containers of Kool-aid-like liquid, basically flavored sugar water. For added protein, there were LOTS of bugs floating around who wanted the sugar. We called it bug juice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had finally expelled the demons of uniform #### until I came back to marching DCA in 2005. I want to say it was in St, Cloud. The CV uni's had been "marinating" in the back of the uni trailer since Winston Salem and Kingston. I had to work and drove myself down to Florida to march the show. I step back to the uni trailer and it hits me square in the face. It was a billion degrees outside and the funk made me smile and almost puke simultaneously. 

Oh and to make matters worse, it rained at the show that night which "enhanced" the odiferousness by an incalculable level.  

I don't remember when corps members were assigned water jugs. I know I had one '89 if not in '87. But it was my own. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Our main uniform person, Aunt Nellie, lived close to Garfield HS. She had a fenced in yard, and she would hang our unis inside out all around her fence to air them out as often as possible. We as members did not really have access to our unis outside of performance times. 

I mean in the gym after shows when we were sleeping over.  They didn’t let us take them home or anything.  I would have gotten it cleaned weekly if they’d let me take it home 😂 

• Like 1

I don't begrudge current mm's access to electronics, or 3 valve instruments or even build up categories as opposed to tics, but I do ENVY the AIR CONDITIONED buses..I would have given my left nut to travel with A/C..lol...peace

• Like 1