March or Die thoughts 2021....

On 9/19/2021 at 10:38 AM, Cappybara said:

Are you the producer of the video or something? I'm sorry that you don't like my opinion of the video. Do you feel so special that you are entitled to a detailed thesis on as to why I thought the video was silly? 

I probably missed some stuff but why do you think the video is silly? 

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Nothing in the video is "pathetic."  The way I look at is, if the opinions that person has are as prevalent as many on here seem to think, then it would impact the bottom line of corps and make them think twice about design decisions, scoring rubrics on the sheets, etc.  

That is correct.  And not just theoretically correct - it is happening in real life. 

However, another thing happening in real life is all those sponsorships/partnerships between drum corps organizations and suppliers in the pageantry arts industries.  Those also impact the bottom line.  Those have also been thought about twice before making design decisions, or even devising the scoresheet rubrics.

But if anything, the trends that people on here freak about without end in thread after thread after thread are accelerating.  

Evidently, then, whomever is doing the "think twice" has decided that their ability to attract sponsor/partner dollars is greater than their ability to attract fan dollars.

10 hours ago, Lance said:

Nothing in the video is "pathetic."  The way I look at is, if the opinions that person has are as prevalent as many on here seem to think, then it would impact the bottom line of corps and make them think twice about design decisions, scoring rubrics on the sheets, etc.  

But if anything, the trends that people on here freak about without end in thread after thread after thread are accelerating.  

sadly thats now the world we live in on any topic

Interesting correlation that people on here are claiming.  Which corps are suffering financially from making design decisions a handful of prolific social media posters don't happen to like?  Looking for specific corps names with actual data to back it up that shows this correlation, you know, since it's so factual and all.   Anecdotes about circles of friends and crazy social media groups are funny and all, but there has to be more, right?

And do you think these corps will just continue to make decisions you don't care for and eventually fold, and when will that be for specific corps? 

4 hours ago, Lance said:

Interesting correlation that people on here are claiming.  Which corps are suffering financially from making design decisions a handful of prolific social media posters don't happen to like?  Looking for specific corps names with actual data to back it up that shows this correlation, you know, since it's so factual and all.   Anecdotes about circles of friends and crazy social media groups are funny and all, but there has to be more, right?

And do you think these corps will just continue to make decisions you don't care for and eventually fold, and when will that be for specific corps? 

After the 2020 non-season, many corps have had to make decisions on how to stay relevant in the activity with an eye towards finances. A few trendsetters chose to not come to finals, while others made the pilgrimage. Was it worth the expense to come to Indy and not be judged? That’s on the individual corps to decide not the handful of prolific posters who don’t cotton to the current trends. 

I can only speak for myself. I think the activity needs to be more inclusive of all approaches on to how to entertain the masses not just the judging community. It’s the butts in the seats who keep the activity alive more so than the pageantry arts suppliers who influence the latest and greatest design trends. I think the 2021 season shown a spotlight on what the audience is hungry for. I can only hope DCI and the corps themselves took notice.

• Like 3

I was hungry for Bluecoats, Boston, Cavies, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Mandarins, etc.  … and I was more than satisfied with their products.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I was hungry for Bluecoats, Boston, Cavies, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Mandarins, etc.  … and I was more than satisfied with their products.

And? There were different approaches out there this summer. Enough to appeal to a broad spectrum of fans. Was it monkey see monkey do? Not really…why not take that into consideration when mapping out the 2022 season?

Edited by Sutasaurus

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

i found something to like in every corps i saw in DCI and DCA

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lance said:

If it is my post that garnered this reaction, you are not understanding what I am saying.

Go to DCI.org and scroll all the way to the bottom.  See where it says "Our Partners" with all the corporate logos parading by?  Every one of those corporate logos represents some sort of business dealing.  Most of them are sponsorships (i.e. corporation paying DCI money for advertising, special access, etc.).  "Corporate partners" is the language DCI uses to describe these corporations.  Individual corps have similar business dealings too.  So when I refer to "sponsors" or "partners", that is what I mean.

Maybe you thought your remark about "which corps are suffering", "names and data to back that up" was a clever "gotcha" question.  But my post was actually pointing out that the balance sheet for abandoning fans in favor of sponsors/partners does include some pluses, not just minuses.

• Like 1

I don't understand the idea of "abandoning fans in favor of corporate sponsors".  I can't think of a single drum corps which intentionally alienated its fan base. This whole notion is based on an erroneous assumption..that somehow corporate sponsors dictate to the drum corps what to play, how to present it, etc.   

I have never ever head of any drum corps' design team sitting around with Pearl, Stanbury, Zildjian reps etc and jointly deciding on programming.   And, it 40= years in the activity, I have never head of any outside company dictating anything to the individual drum corps.  What are you referring to?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2