March or Die thoughts 2021....

19 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Well, yes. Phantom would have had at least two titles (probably three) in the 1970’s.

True. If  GE captioned Judges factored in audience reception to shows, the Madison Scouts would also have far more DCI Titles than they do now, and more medals as well. Star of Indiana would have placed 5th or 6th in 1993. Troopers would have more DCI Top 12 finish placements too.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, skevinp said:

It depends on what the meaning of the word means means.  

And the word “that”.

oh I am so glad I don’t have to deal

with government-ese anymore….

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

You have been involved in the percussive arts in various roles for decades.  Do you "like" percussion, or are you just "consisting in or characterized by the presence or possession of features or qualities of percussion rather than their absence"?

Okay, I have not explained myself adequately.  Starting over.

You linked to a WGI percussion effect sheet, and asked where "like" is listed, implied or even hinted at.  I cited the phrase "elicits positive responses from the listener".  It is worded in third-person; therefore, it does not ask for the personal preference of the judge, but rather whether the judge feels that the effect elicits positive responses from a general audience.  I think that positive responses imply that the listener likes something about what they are hearing.

Do you think that phrase does not even hint at likability?

i had a huge reply, and DCP ate it.

no it doesn't. since i didnt save it and i am not starting over.

13 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

The pervasiveness of this thread over the remaining minutiae of points is fascinating. It has gotten parsed down to a couple of tiny cells that were a part of the full OP organism yet it still thrives. Bravo.

just imagine if Brasso was still here.

13 hours ago, Lance said:

appreciation is a positive response.  i can appreciate many creative products that i don't happen to like.  for example, i appreciate the craftsmanship of most of hemingway's work, but i don't like them enough to read them for fun.  just not my thing.  i prefer the work of several of his contemporaries, but that doesn't mean i can't evaluate the craftsmanship itself. 

same with different bands, composers, genres, and on and on and on.  

rubrics like dci scoresheets try to eliminate subjectivity as much as possible, but it's impossible for any rubric not to have gaps.  member corps fill in those gaps for adjudicators, they don't just default to "hey i like this, i'll score it higher".  

a much shorter summation of the giant post i had that DCP ate. bravo

5 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

True. If  GE captioned Judges factored in audience reception to shows, the Madison Scouts would also have far more DCI Titles than they do now, and more medals as well. Star of Indiana would have placed 5th or 6th in 1993. Troopers would have more DCI Top 12 finish placements too.

find that 79 prelims tape thats out there. guy LOVED Troop.

oh and they were in 12th

• Like 1