Jump to content

March or Die thoughts 2021....


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Lance said:

appreciation is a positive response.  i can appreciate many creative products that i don't happen to like.  for example, i appreciate the craftsmanship of most of hemingway's work, but i don't like them enough to read them for fun.  just not my thing.  i prefer the work of several of his contemporaries, but that doesn't mean i can't evaluate the craftsmanship itself. 

There are others in the drum corps audience who are the same way, myself included.  But we do not jump up and give hollering standing ovations for appreciation of the craftsmanship of something we otherwise dislike.  In this context, appreciation is a positive opinion, but not enough to "elicit a positive response from the listener" by itself.

I understand that as judges, teachers, or anyone else charged with the task of evaluating what people do without personal bias, "like" is a four-letter word banned from use.  You probably will not see it on a judging sheet, or hear it in recorded commentary.  But is likability getting swept up in this purge too?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I thought it was something up with my laptop.  I've replied to a couple of post & it disappears or I'll get a 404 error. 🤔 

Sometimes, I get a 503 error that prevents me from posting.  Only happens with large posts.  Rewording something occasionally works, but usually I end up locked out of DCP for an hour after 3 such errors (and losing what I typed).

So I have learned... when you see that 503 error, click the browser back button, copy the post you were formulating somewhere, then try posting it a piece at a time (Twitter style).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

Sometimes, I get a 503 error that prevents me from posting.  Only happens with large posts.  Rewording something occasionally works, but usually I end up locked out of DCP for an hour after 3 such errors (and losing what I typed).

So I have learned... when you see that 503 error, click the browser back button, copy the post you were formulating somewhere, then try posting it a piece at a time (Twitter style).

Ahhh, you jogged my memory.  It was a 503 error & not a 404.  And it was a rather 'wordy' post. 🤔  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2021 at 11:39 AM, Lance said:

appreciation is a positive response.  i can appreciate many creative products that i don't happen to like.  for example, i appreciate the craftsmanship of most of hemingway's work, but i don't like them enough to read them for fun.  just not my thing.  i prefer the work of several of his contemporaries, but that doesn't mean i can't evaluate the craftsmanship itself. 

 

 Same here. I would imagine its true with most of us here as a matter of fact . I have been to both the Salvador Dali Museum in both Spain and the one in St. Petersburg, Florida. I can appreciate his expansive mind and creativity brilliance. But did I "like"  his art work on display ? Hardly. Not my cup of java. I couldnt wait to leave and find a cup of coffee outside both Dali museums as a matter of fact.  I could spend hours however at either of the Norman Rockwell museums and/ or his former work shop and grounds.  The same with Michaelangelo's creative work of genius painting the ceiling at the Sistine Chapel, and with others.

 The 2012 Blue Devils won DCI with a score of 98.700 with their " Cabaret Voltaire " show.  ' Finished that season undefeated. Did I " like " the show ?  Small parts of it, but overall, not particularly. Can I understand why they won ? Sure.  Absolutely.  My not particularly "liking" something, and yet appreciating its incredible creativeness and attention to detail are not incongruous, nor incompatible observations/ assessments. I would imagine thus its not all that difficult for DCI judges to provide higher scores to some Corps on performance, yet " liking " more the show/ music/ visuals/ props/ attire, etc of a Corps they will give a lower score on their sheets to.

Edited by Boss Anova
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I thought it was something up with my laptop.  I've replied to a couple of post & it disappears or I'll get a 404 error. 🤔 

yup 404 hell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

There are others in the drum corps audience who are the same way, myself included.  But we do not jump up and give hollering standing ovations for appreciation of the craftsmanship of something we otherwise dislike.  In this context, appreciation is a positive opinion, but not enough to "elicit a positive response from the listener" by itself.

I understand that as judges, teachers, or anyone else charged with the task of evaluating what people do without personal bias, "like" is a four-letter word banned from use.  You probably will not see it on a judging sheet, or hear it in recorded commentary.  But is likability getting swept up in this purge too?

nope. trust me i know a judge that doesn't seem to like anything, but gives good numbers

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...