Snead Hired As Phantom Regiment Inc.’s First CEO

6 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Many corps have programs outside of just fielding a drum corps. Regiment has Drum Major camps, multiple clinics, Rockford Rhythm to name a few. A Corps Director would be hard pressed to manage all these activities. Enter Dr. Sneed. Given his background and accomplishments, I think he’ll be a great fit.

Good point and well taken. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

generally Corps directors run the corps anything above that Fundraiser and organizer   it lets corps directors spend time with the corps, not spending all day handling donors which a CEO or executive Director would do.

I applaud the divide and conquer approach. Many theaters, dance companies, music organizations, etc. divide and conquer this way by having an administrative leader and an artistic leader. I know it can be a hit financially, but not spreading one person so thin can hopefully allow both areas to maximize the efforts required for organizational success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJbirder said:

I applaud the divide and conquer approach. Many theaters, dance companies, music organizations, etc. divide and conquer this way by having an administrative leader and an artistic leader. I know it can be a hit financially, but not spreading one person so thin can hopefully allow both areas to maximize the efforts required for organizational success.

Having one person running both the business and artistic side of the operation is what led to ‘Springtime for Hitler’.  

• Haha 4

Forgive me for sounding uneducated here but aren't corps supposed to be nonprofits? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Forgive me for sounding uneducated here but aren't corps supposed to be nonprofits? 

Corps do have to be nonprofits, which means they are tax-exempt, and (in general terms) the tradeoff is that legally any profits made have to go back into the organization, and not paid out to shareholders etc.  (Drum corps generally don't have much in the way of profits anyways, so it's normally not an issue.)

Anyways, to answer your question, nonprofits still can be run like for-profit corporations, and all of the big ones tend to be.  In drum corps, many/most of them now have a Board of Directors (required) who hires a CEO/Executive Director to run the overarching organization, to each performing group under them (DCI, WGI, youth symphony, what have you) having their own director that reports to the CEO/ED.  So in Phantom's case, the Corps Director only has to worry about running Phantom Regiment and not all of the other things that the actual nonprofit corporation does.

Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NJbirder said:

I just found out that Divide and Conquer means something else in the computer programming world. I’m used to it meaning pitting groups against each other and then going in and taking over. 

• Like 1