BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

On 3/22/2022 at 6:31 PM, Chief Guns said:

Ah yes BD 2011. That was a crazy year. I remember BD starting the year 4th-5th place and staying there thru the first few weeks. Some people predicting here on DCP they would finish the year 6th or 7th as they wrapped up the Texas shows. LMAO.

And in the end BD took a well-deserved silver medal. But with the way BD started the season so slowly coming out the gate, 2011 will always stand out. 

Blue Devils 2011 show is one of their best music books from the 2010-2019 era. The sound of that horn line is nothing short of amazing. Some of the best playing I've heard during that era. Right up there with BD 2014 or Crown 13 and 14. Yes, Cadets absolutely deserved the championship that year but musically Blue Devils were such a treat. 

• Like 5

' Looking forward to seeing what all these Corps have in store for us this this season, Blue Devils included. I, like most others, expect BD not to miss a beat after the unprecedented experience for them ( and several others ) of being away from field performance and a show design creation for 2 years. I have no doubt that they will be as formidable a competitor for the other Corps as they have always been. They are the epitome of excellence as an Organization and set the bar high as a model for other Corps Organizations to aspire to over the years.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 3

On 4/16/2022 at 1:04 AM, jwillis35 said:

Blue Devils 2011 show is one of their best music books from the 2010-2019 era. The sound of that horn line is nothing short of amazing. Some of the best playing I've heard during that era. Right up there with BD 2014 or Crown 13 and 14. Yes, Cadets absolutely deserved the championship that year but musically Blue Devils were such a treat. 

🤨

*looks at recap sheets*

3rd in music GE, 3rd in brass, 2nd in ensemble

Honestly, looking at the recaps, 2011-2013 were subpar years for BD from a brass perspective.  From 1975 to 2014: 15 times the best horn line, 37 times in the top 3, finished outside the top 3 in brass only 3 times ('87, '95, '05).

BD has the ultimate high standards when it comes to horns.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

🤨

*looks at recap sheets*

3rd in music GE, 3rd in brass, 2nd in ensemble

Honestly, looking at the recaps, 2011-2013 were subpar years for BD from a brass perspective.  From 1975 to 2014: 15 times the best horn line, 37 times in the top 3, finished outside the top 3 in brass only 3 times ('87, '95, '05).

BD has the ultimate high standards when it comes to horns.

I mean, there's the DCI sheets, and then there's the anecdotal perspective from a good player....

So, it's a subjective perspective from a group of brass and music judges versus a subjective perspective from a pretty decently qualified  long time poster here.

I'm of the opinion that the recaps are useful mostly in determining who wins DCI and who maxes out the sheets.  Some years a great hornline may max out the sheets, and other years, especially with caption bleed, a great hornline doesn't. Case in point are the Cadets 2016 - Awakening.  That hornline was very, very good...  ..but was tanked at finals because of show design.

Another example was BD 2019.  A pretty subpar hornline getting a boost from everything else in show design.

Just my opinion, of course...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I mean, there's the DCI sheets, and then there's the anecdotal perspective from a good player....

So, it's a subjective perspective from a group of brass and music judges versus a subjective perspective from a pretty decently qualified  long time poster here.

I'm of the opinion that the recaps are useful mostly in determining who wins DCI and who maxes out the sheets.  Some years a great hornline may max out the sheets, and other years, especially with caption bleed, a great hornline doesn't. Case in point are the Cadets 2016 - Awakening.  That hornline was very, very good...  ..but was tanked at finals because of show design.

Another example was BD 2019.  A pretty subpar hornline getting a boost from everything else in show design.

Just my opinion, of course...

Great observation about Cadets in '16.  That show was a hot mess that got major changes every other week all through the season.  They never had a chance to show what they could do.

I understand your viewpoint on it being subjective.  However, when I think of great BD horn lines, I start with the 1979-1981 units that never lost a brass SUBCAPTION in 3 years, and played some incredibly memorable music.  I guess I lost track that the time interval mentioned was the 2010's.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 4:03 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Great observation about Cadets in '16.  That show was a hot mess that got major changes every other week all through the season.  They never had a chance to show what they could do.

I understand your viewpoint on it being subjective.  However, when I think of great BD horn lines, I start with the 1979-1981 units that never lost a brass SUBCAPTION in 3 years, and played some incredibly memorable music.  I guess I lost track that the time interval mentioned was the 2010's.  

All valid points. When I think of the early years of BD dominance in brass the 1982 line is generally considered my favorite. Not a lot of great recordings of them out there but what a great show and what a smoking good brass line. The 1979 and 1980 lines were fabulous too. The soloists in 80 were incredible. The 1984 line is also one of those I can listen to a lot. BIG sound, and La Fiesta is an old-style concert number for the ages. I like 86 as well but actually prefer 84 a little more, and 82 the most along with 1988. 

The 1988 brass line I rank up there with the 82 line. Incredible charts and a truly professional jazz sound for field. 

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

All valid points. When I think of the early years of BD dominance in brass the 1982 line is generally considered my favorite. Not a lot of great recordings of them out there but what a great show and what a smoking good brass line. The 1979 and 1980 lines were fabulous too. The soloists in 80 were incredible. The 1984 line is also one of those I can listen to a lot. BIG sound, and La Fiesta is an old-style concert number for the ages. I like 86 as well but actually prefer 84 a little more, and 82 the most along with 1988. 

The 1988 brass line I rank up there with the 82 line. Incredible charts and a truly professional jazz sound for field. 

For me...........when it comes to BD horn lines, it's 1991 then everyone else. I think it's the greatest horn line to ever grace a football field. 

That 91 horn line almost costed me a chance at joining the Navy. Kept failing my Audiogram. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 2:55 PM, Chief Guns said:

For me...........when it comes to BD horn lines, it's 1991 then everyone else. I think it's the greatest horn line to ever grace a football field. 

That 91 horn line almost costed me a chance at joining the Navy. Kept failing my Audiogram. 

I was really only addressing the 80s lines because the one poster had mentioned some of the earlier brass sections. Yes, in the 90s I like them all, but I would put 91 and 93 on a pedestal and then go with 99, 94, 97, 95, etc. I actually really enjoyed the sonority and major chord tonality of the 1990 Tommy brass line. The arrangements which were amazing and used more major chords and not the traditional jazz 7 and 9 chords associated with many BD shows. It really gave the show a different and unique feel. But 1991 and 93 are unreal. Right up there with any brass line ever. Star 90 - 93 is certainly up there with anyone too. Even to this day I think I tend to compare brass lines to the BD and Star years in the early 90s. Carolina's 2012-2016 lines are super amazing too. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Blue Devils could be revealing their 2022 production soon.  They revealed BDC show 1 day ago. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btown50 said:

The Blue Devils could be revealing their 2022 production soon.  They revealed BDC show 1 day ago. 

Yes could be case. They've made the reveal in May of 2019, so i guess....