BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

9 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Some people expect to be blown away from early on. 

Welcome to the Microwave Society that we currently live in.

Everything has to be NOW! NOW! NOW!

I am a diehard San Francisco 49ers fan till the day I die. Reading some of the comments on our NinersNation community site is insane.

People expect these players nowadays to be first ballot Hall of Famers the night they are drafted, and when/if they struggle their rookie year, they are labeled bust. It's asinine.

No one is allowed to grow and develop anymore. You better be championship material day one, or Basement Dweller Bob and his buddy Keyboard Warrior Kevin are coming for you. 

• Like 5

All this sounds familiar. Like from every late June/early July.

Patience young (and old) grasshoppers.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, btown50 said:

It's the Yeats poem. 

In what language? Sumerian? Sanskrit? Reformed Egyptian? Latin? Romulan? High Valyrian? Demon?

I'm sorry, but that comes off as pretentious and ruins the feel of the 1st third of the show.

The familiar tunes are nice.

The brass sounds nice. The percussion doesn't sound quite as crisp as I would expect, but I guess when you have a whole line of rookies, things are going to start from a different place than if they're all vets.

Guard seems large.

I know, drama...

10 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

You know you are on the top when everything is dissected about you. I'm sure a lot of corps would love to be in that position. 

So true! Every year…

• Like 1

So I finally watched the video. I can't get a good read on much of the music because the video audio is not great, it is from the side, and the solos project more than the ensemble. I like a lot of the show. From a prop and staging standpoint it feels somewhat like 2017. The marching already looks solid with lots of jazz running and body movement and dance. So that adds some serious physical / cardio to the show. 

Just like in 2019 the show is a basic sketch of scenes where the transitions need worked in. As with other years they are taking elements of the ballad (Moon River) and working that into the end of the closer. This will need to be tweaked to build more of an emotional pull and build up to the closing chords. I kind of want the trombone soloist in Moon River to play with more of a Tommy Dorsey tone and slide vibrato, but I have this feeling they are going to push this arrangement in a different direction and style. Nothing wrong with that so I look forward to seeing what they do. 

I love the opening set and think the opener is going to be awesome when they fill in the blanks. In my opinion I believe there are many elements not in the show as of now. I don't think the performers could handle it all just yet. I think the staff are slowly working in just enough while they build the endurance of the marching members. I am most curious as to where they go with Moon River. I think that is the one musical element that will have to bring the emotion both in the ballad and at the end. There will be big changes there. Way to go, Blue Devils. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

So I finally watched the video. I can't get a good read on much of the music because the video audio is not great, it is from the side, and the solos project more than the ensemble. I like a lot of the show. From a prop and staging standpoint it feels somewhat like 2017. The marching already looks solid with lots of jazz running and body movement and dance. So that adds some serial physical / cardio to the show. 

Just like in 2019 the show is a basic sketch of scenes where the transitions need worked in. As with other years they are taking elements of the ballad (Moon River) and working that into the end of the closer. This will need to be tweaked to build more of an emotional pull and build up to the closing chords. I kind of want the trombone soloist in Moon River to play with more of a Tommy Dorsey tone and slide vibrato, but I have this feeling they are going to push this arrangement in a different direction and style. Nothing wrong with that so I look forward to seeing what they do. 

I love the opening set and think the opener is going to be awesome when they fill in the blanks. In my opinion I believe there are many elements not in the show as of now. I don't think the performers could handle it all just yet. I think the staff are slowly working in just enough while they build the endurance of the marching members. I am most curious as to where they go with Moon River. I think that is the one musical element that will have to bring the emotion both in the ballad and at the end. There will be big changes there. Way to go, Blue Devils. 

I think they are in better shape than most corps from a stamina perspective given a month of training at 7000 feet. Another big benefit to Wyoming. My MM said that the show will have the closer on Saturday, but it's very much as you said, an assembly of scenes with LOTS of interconnecting elements still missing. I'm excited to see the show-to-show changes and improvement. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

Welcome to the Microwave Society that we currently live in.

Everything has to be NOW! NOW! NOW!

I am a diehard San Francisco 49ers fan till the day I die. Reading some of the comments on our NinersNation community site is insane.

People expect these players nowadays to be first ballot Hall of Famers the night they are drafted, and when/if they struggle their rookie year, they are labeled bust. It's asinine.

No one is allowed to grow and develop anymore. You better be championship material day one, or Basement Dweller Bob and his buddy Keyboard Warrior Kevin are coming for you. 

It happens so often in sports where expectations are placed so high on rising stars, comparisons to the greats that anything less is disappointment when there’s necessary growth, struggle and perseverance that needs to happen for someone to really excel at something. Good things take time

Niners fans should be absolutely grateful for the grit that team showed in the playoffs this season, can’t be great if you alienate those that are trying to take you there. I’m a cowboys fan btw😔 ride or die homer myself but ummm…not sure how you feel about McCarthy as our coach but I don’t think my “good things take time” philosophy extends to him😂😂

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

It happens so often in sports where expectations are placed so high on rising stars, comparisons to the greats that anything less is disappointment when there’s necessary growth, struggle and perseverance that needs to happen for someone to really excel at something. Good things take time

Niners fans should be absolutely grateful for the grit that team showed in the playoffs this season, can’t be great if you alienate those that are trying to take you there. I’m a cowboys fan btw😔 not sure how you feel about McCarthy as our coach but I don’t think my “good things take time” philosophy extends to him😂😂

I was so proud of my Niners last year. Super excited for Trey Lance this year. 

This is the best time of the year. Drum Corps is back, and when it ends in August, football season is ramping up to kickoff in September! Nothing better.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

I was so proud of my Niners last year. Super excited for Trey Lance this year. 

This is the best time of the year. Drum Corps is back, and when it ends in August, football season is ramping up to kickoff in September! Nothing better.  

I may actually root for USC this year in the Pac12!

• Like 1