BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

14 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

The biggest surprise to me last nite with the west coast shows was when I dug into the caption scores. I  learned that BD topped SCV in Percussion last nite out there. I have to admit I did not see that coming, as my understanding is that BD has a mostly complete new battery, and a couple in the battery are young ( high schoolers ).  I'm not sure the last time Reddick's percussion at SCV lost the Percussion caption in a scored competition, but it must be awhile ago, imo.

I saw a video of the DL on instagram, they seemed super tight. Sometimes it just works out

4 hours ago, DWW11 said:

I love, love, LOVE a good screamer, in the right spots.  But i prefer lower tones in general. Always male voices over female.  More richness and depth.  I love these horns.

2018 may have featured some of the best screamers BD has ever had. Seems like the music they’ve written for this year is on the darker side 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DWW11 said:

I love, love, LOVE a good screamer, in the right spots.  But i prefer lower tones in general. Always male voices over female.  More richness and depth.  I love these horns.

McBeth's Pyramid of Sound is never wrong!*

*Except for when it doesn't fit the style, genre, amount of performers, instrumentation, etc. 😉

• Like 2

I didn’t fully appreciate the brass’s sound until watching some lot videos. Almost scary how good they’re gonna be by August. I know some people want a smoother transition, but the jump from piccolo soloist/bari feature to the big trumpet/mello feature is a high point for me. Love the irony of leaping from the piccolo’s whimsical renaissance vibe to the IN YOUR FACE feature across the field. I think it’s effective. 

Have also been catching up on drumline vids and it’s so fun how different SCV and BD are this year. SCV very cool, calm, collected, from the writing to the performance; you just can’t ruffle their feathers at all.  BD very snazzy and energetic (completely love the headbanger moment.) BD definitely looks younger, but at least 50% of that is because the snare line is noticeably shorter, it kinda cracks me up. One SCV snare in particular seems like a giant.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Now that I’ve seen everyone, I feel pretty good about BD’s chances of going back to back 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

Now that I’ve seen everyone, I feel pretty good about BD’s chances of going back to back 

Yeap.. BD show still have so much more to be add and cleaned up and still making a strong impression, even pulling in some of the regular nay sayers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Yeap.. BD show still have so much more to be add and cleaned up and still making a strong impression, even pulling in some of the regular nay sayers.

I have a feeling Crown will be the one nipping at BD’s heels this season instead of Bloo

Im feeling a bit nostalgic for the years where BD was comfortably 1+ points ahead of everyone the entire season 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I have a feeling Crown will be the one nipping at BD’s heels this season instead of Bloo

Im feeling a bit nostalgic for the years where BD was comfortably 1+ points ahead of everyone the entire season 

Yeah. To be honest i don't have a good read of Crown show yet.. just the tube video and i still not convince how good they potentially can be. The sound and Music is top as usual, but It looks very fanfare-ish, just too much fabric for my taste, Maybe not a bad thing but i need to see a proper view of the show.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Sigh. Y’know, i usually start the season praying that this doesn’t feel like the case in June, because BD’s dominance turns people against them. Unfortunately they’re just that good!!

• Like 1

Over the weekend, someone was told by BD staff member that the jackets are coming later in the season. When do you think they will use them in the show ?

Should we expect to see some changes/addition in the show of their upcoming performance on Tuesday ?

• Like 1