BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

14 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Very few points to work with..its also the reason perfect scores are given out at championships. Never perfect just the highest score. If you look at a tenth as actually maybe a point, the perspective is different. Either way it's all due to numbers, or lack of them.

well if its finals week, you can almost guarantee Chumley will 20 BD

• Like 1

6 hours ago, squarepush said:

Blue Devils frustrate me with their success only because I’d like to see it for other corps more often than what we currently see. That being said… I don’t understand why other corps don’t play Devil game. Maybe a couple get close, sometimes they outdo them. Year after year though, BD come out strong and are the corps to beat. I’m not a fan of their rehash of themselves every year, but it doesn’t discount that the final product is as quality as can be. More importantly, it WORKS. What they do obviously simply essentially pragmatically works. Why don’t other corps, especially corps with championship ambition take a note from their book? Could it be a, for lack of a better phrase, “sense of pride”? “We don’t do what BD does bc that’s just what THEY do..” Bluecoats change to modern uniforms then EVERYONE does. Who are these people marching on the field now? Where is the identity? Maybe I can hear it but where do I see it?  Did any of these drastic changes even matter/make a difference in their trajectory? Everything up in the air for everyone but one corps. Blue Devils upgrade, but do they really ever change? And THAT is their success story.  I’m a Crown fan, but I’ll call it as I see it. 

EDIT: I said a lot of nothing! In short, 
Devils “play to the sheets” so why don’t other corps “play to the sheets”. It’s not illegal, not taboo, nor is it a bad idea. If it’s so rigged, be even MORE corrupt. 

Ah they are "play to the sheets". They are just behind on what BD does.

4 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Ah they are "play to the sheets". They are just behind on what BD does.

I'm truly puzzled by those saying BD always does the same thing over and over again. They have an identifiable style, yes, but what they are doing now is WAY different from just a few years ago. The overall show construction is somewhat similar to 2019, but that one was a leap from 2018 and 2017, which were also a leap from 2016 and 2015. They just do it in an evolutionary way, so each one doesn't necessarily seem like a radical departure unless you go back a chunk of time.

If you watch this back-to-back with 2016, the hornline movement, especially, is a night and day advancement. I remember a parent of a 2017 member posting that her son was shocked at the dance responsibilities that were being accomplished by the 2019 line.

They don't throw out the baby with the bath water. They just keep adding more babies to the bath without everyone noticing that the tub is starting to get a lot more full.👶👶👶😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I'm truly puzzled by those saying BD always does the same thing over and over again. They have an identifiable style, yes, but what they are doing now is WAY different from just a few years ago. The overall show construction is somewhat similar to 2019, but that one was a leap from 2018 and 2017, which were also a leap from 2016 and 2015. They just do it in an evolutionary way, so each one doesn't necessarily seem like a radical departure unless you go back a chunk of time.

If you watch this back-to-back with 2016, the hornline movement, especially, is a night and day advancement. I remember a parent of a 2017 member posting that her son was shocked at the dance responsibilities that were being accomplished by the 2019 line.

They don't throw out the baby with the bath water. They just keep adding more babies to the bath without everyone noticing that the tub is starting to get a lot more full.👶👶👶😂

One thing BD does best is usage of props especially 2019 and this year. They use it as part of the show...not as a centerpiece. Their props do not distract from their performance. I just feel a lot of corps just roll stuff out and for me it distracts from the actual performance. More is not always better (IMO). 

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Honestly there’s been a lot of people harping on drops in the guard last night. I think that’s crap.when you do really hard skills, it won’t be perfect every night. Boston and Devils guards should be several tenths ahead of everyone else in content. it’s mind blowing that the judge even slotted the guards so close. It should be BAC and BD trading back and forth this season and everyone else is at least .3 behind in content if not more until others add in more difficulty. Time for judges to start recognizing the level of difficulty and stop rewarding much easier skills. 
EDIT: I’m not putting down any corps, how hard they work or their talent!! 

I'm confused.

So in guard, difficulty matters throughout the entire show, but in drill it doesn't. Just show you that you can do some difficult then showcase a different skill set?  Anyway, that's what was written in by someone else in one of these threads.

I'm truly trying to understand this aspect of scoring.

3 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

One thing BD does best is usage of props especially 2019 and this year. They use it as part of the show...not as a centerpiece. Their props do not distract from their performance. I just feel a lot of corps just roll stuff out and for me it distracts from the actual performance. More is not always better (IMO). 

I certainly agree that this year's BD corps uses those massive props very well, and it works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

I certainly agree that this year's BD corps uses those massive props very well, and it works.

Not just this year or last time, they do it All The Time. They used them so well. They are a part of the shows, integrated so effortlessly and with purpose, they are used for what the show actually intended.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Not just this year or last time, they do it All The Time. They used them so well. They are a part of the shows, integrated so effortlessly and with purpose, they are used for what the show actually intended.

That is a subjective statement. I was giving my opinion about this year's design only. Not all uses of props, even from them, are done equally well or equally effective.

Just my opinion, and I'm trying to praise that from them in particular.

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

That is a subjective statement. I was giving my opinion about this year's design only. Not all uses of props, even from them, are done equally well or equally effective.

Just my opinion, and I'm trying to praise that from them in particular.

Yeah. I respect your opinion for sure. But i seeing them over the years using props, they've never had props not well used since 2008 polls. 2009 chairs fantastic. 2010 mirrors well integrated for the theme. 2011 the house building so brilliantly done. 2012 one of my favorite also a great way to ingrate to the theme. 2013 polls are used like i have never seen before, 2014 the film and production set in the opening set, the tables with chairs throughout Felliniesque could have gone so wrong, kind of over crowded but we all know how that ended up. 2015 books for Ink were clever to the story, with those ladders etc... 2016 scaffoldings were my least favorites but still used up the best way they could, and provided a artful backdrop with colorgurds using them. 2017 have we seen Metamorph oh yes, those steps didnt just sit around. 2018 the recreation of the painting, 2019 those platforms brilliant, entertaing and just innovative.. here we are to 2022 which is no different. Some are used more than others based on the show and what could have been done.. But they all were used well.. No ? ..........

I clearly can remember seeing so many angry BD haters and critiques, cussing out online by other fans that BD used too many props, and they throw oyt ridicule calling they names and discrediting they're shows to just props. Some laughing, I never forget. Now look where we are in Drum Corps.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

Yeah. I respect your opinion for sure. But i seeing them over the years using props, they've never had props not well used since 2008 polls. 2009 chairs fantastic. 2010 mirrors well integrated for the theme. 2011 the house building so brilliantly done. 2012 one of my favorite also a great way to ingrate to the theme. 2013 polls are used like i have never seen before, 2014 the film and production set in the opening set, the tables with chairs throughout Felliniesque could have gone so wrong, kind of over crowded but we all know how that ended up. 2015 books for Ink were clever to the story, with those ladders etc... 2016 scaffoldings were my least favorites but still used up the best way they could, and provided a artful backdrop with color guards using them. 2017 have we seen Metamorph oh yes, those steps didn't just sit around. 2018 the recreation of the painting, 2019 those platforms brilliant, entertaining and just innovative.. here we are to 2022 which is no different. Some are used more than others based on the show and what could have been done.. But they all were used well.. No ? ..........

I clearly can remember seeing so many angry BD haters and critiques, cussing out online by other fans that BD used too many props, and they throw out ridicule calling they names and discrediting they're shows to just props. Some laughing, I never forget. Now look where we are in Drum Corps.

I am going to say, I very much appreciate their signature look in their props. The Felliniesque stuff was epic. The mirrors from 2010 were interesting, and could have been used to even more effect. Some of the other props weren't as great FOR ME, as I think less is more, but this year is probably their best use of props yet.

• Like 1