BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

On 8/15/2022 at 11:44 PM, Ashontheinternet said:

with the season now behind us, i find myself returning to Tempus Blue multiple times per day. i have to be honest, early season i HATED this show. i thought it was bland, incoherent, boring, "cookie cutter BD", and worst of all, "playing to the judges." and i retained this mindset even when i saw it performed live in front of my own eyes at Corps Encore (although this was where i started to "see the light," if you will).

i didn't fully appreciate this show until Finals night, but through the entire finals performance i was captivated. everything from the hype opener, the earworm Carnival of Venice, the MAGNIFICENT ballad, TANK!, and the tearjerk closer, it all had me on the edge of my seat completely enthralled. don't even get me STARTED on the drill cleanliness. that pinwheel is unbelievable.

there is so much creativity, so much power and emotion in the show that i would be foolish to say it was undeserving of the win. i admit i was worried early season with a young corps, and the preseason performance being dirty (clean by preseason standards!) but by finals, it was perfect. 

this show is my favorite BD show of the past decade, if not of all time. it is so powerful, and on finals night the closer had me nearly crying from how beautiful it was. it is a testament to what the performers and staff can achieve, and an amazing example of why BD wins so often.

so, a huge congratulations to the Blue Devils on an amazing year. congrats to EVERY performer that worked so hard to learn and clean this show. congrats to the staff for building such a beautiful program.

thank you BD for a memory i will carry with me forever.

Great points. Moon River balled was unimpressive off the bat and then it just came together. My first few viewings were on Flo in multicam and I had a hard time understand it. Then I switched to just high cam and what a difference. It was night and day. Then I saw them live at DALR (my only show). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DWW11 said:

“The blue and the dim and the dark cloths of night”? 

they made more sense to me than the pillowcase people in Metamorph, during Flight of the Bumblebee!  

Thanks for the line from the opening.   I  just assumed they were dreams.  And that is why they were all over the place in terms of music, mood, etc.  And the different languages were part of the dreams. But, it was often a lot of guard used just to carry the cloths.  

Great show either way.

5 hours ago, Tony L. said:

Thanks for the line from the opening.   I  just assumed they were dreams.  And that is why they were all over the place in terms of music, mood, etc.  And the different languages were part of the dreams. But, it was often a lot of guard used just to carry the cloths.  

Great show either way.

They absolutely could be dreams. I thought that at times, too. And I didn’t mean anything snarky by quoting the line, except sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DWW11 said:

They absolutely could be dreams. I thought that at times, too. And I didn’t mean anything snarky by quoting the line, except sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?  

No worries.  No offense taken.  I am just trying to better understand the show.  And the opening line helps a lot.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony L. said:

No worries.  No offense taken.  I am just trying to better understand the show.  And the opening line helps a lot.  

From watching the “Blue” episode of “ The History of Art”, one of the source inspirations for the show, from a distance the blue tarps have a resemblance to the raw mined lapis lazuli stone, so that before reading your comments, that was my best guess as to what they represent - but it could be completely wrong, as the the stone is very hard, and the tarps, not. Dreams and fabric work well too.

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

At the 3:00 mark there is a high group flag toss and at the catch there is a break in the music.  I've never heard a group flag toss and sold-clean catch sound from flags.  Rifles, of course, but flags!?

So incredible and so clean. Amazing. 

• Like 7