BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I remember years ago on here that the BD faithful were very few in number and not very vocal. I myself when I first became a DCI fan was not much of a BD fan, but their style very slowly grew on me and I came to find them to have the most exciting ensemble sound of any corps - no other corps seems to have the sparkle in their sound that they do.

Anyways, I think DCP becoming less hostile towards their avant-garde style to show design (partially because so many other corps have now joined in, partially because BD has moved a little bit back into the more classic style after 2013) has also contributed to the increase in the BD faithful and how vocal they are

I've been gone for pretty much the entire offseason, but glad to see the BD community so strong on here

I was one of those that usually only liked the old 70s and 80s BD shows. A few caught my eye in the 90s, like 90, 93, 94, 97 and 99, but they didn't blow me away like some in the 80s except for maybe 1997. Well, 1990 blew me away too for different reasons and I love the brass ensemble sound that year and the charts were super fun.

But I usually wanted them to hit me again with one of those classic 1982 like jazz shows musically (not visually). 1982 is my favorite BD show. In the 2000s I enjoyed 02, 03, and 07. When they shifted direction visually in 2008 I was intrigued, and 09 was nice too. But it was 2010 that pulled me in again big time. Even though the show was getting golf claps at most shows, I thought they had reached new levels of visual design, staging, and it seemed their marching execution went to a whole new level. Couple that with their always amazing sound and performance scores and it became clear we could be in for an incredible decade. I loved 2011. What a brass line. I was not as wild about 2012 (which I think you and I have discussed) and 2013 was solid. But 2014 just blew me away and every year since they have really made me take notice. 

In reality it is easy to root against (or hate) a corps that has won as often as they have. Think Boston Celtics, LA Lakers, NY Yankees, etc. It's understandable since it is a competitive activity. But I do like the fact that most people do respect the heck out of this corps not only because they are good and design well, but because it is a great organization that sponsors a lot of ensembles, not just the A corps. But there is no doubt in my mind that the way they have programmed, designed and taught over the last decade has really inspired a lot of people to the process and the obvious excellence...and that has created a lot of interest in this mighty and revered drum corps. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

I was one of those that usually only liked the old 70s and 80s BD shows. A few caught my eye in the 90s, like 90, 93, 94, 97 and 99, but they didn't blow me away like some in the 80s except for maybe 1997. Well, 1990 blew me away too for different reasons and I love the brass ensemble sound that year and the charts were super fun.

But I usually wanted them to hit me again with one of those classic 1982 like jazz shows musically (not visually). 1982 is my favorite BD show. In the 2000s I enjoyed 02, 03, and 07. When they shifted direction visually in 2008 I was intrigued, and 09 was nice too. But it was 2010 that pulled me in again big time. Even though the show was getting golf claps at most shows, I thought they had reached new levels of visual design, staging, and it seemed their marching execution went to a whole new level. Couple that with their always amazing sound and performance scores and it became clear we could be in for an incredible decade. I loved 2011. What a brass line. I was not as wild about 2012 (which I think you and I have discussed) and 2013 was solid. But 2014 just blew me away and every year since they have really made me take notice. 

In reality it is easy to root against (or hate) a corps that has won as often as they have. Think Boston Celtics, LA Lakers, NY Yankees, etc. It's understandable since it is a competitive activity. But I do like the fact that most people do respect the heck out of this corps not only because they are good and design well, but because it is a great organization that sponsors a lot of ensembles, not just the A corps. But there is no doubt in my mind that the way they have programmed, designed and taught over the last decade has really inspired a lot of people to the process and the obvious excellence...and that has created a lot of interest in this mighty and revered drum corps. 

2014 BD was the greatest drum corps show I ever saw.  I saw them on that cow pasture field in Metamora and said “ain’t nobody beating that”. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Well, we could re-post GH's rants & ravings that's he's been posting on FB about all of the decisions being made by the current administration of The Cadets.  It's a sight to behold; but probably should just 'leave it be'.
:whistle:  

Yeah, I am glad I do not follow him on any social media. I can't believe he is still whining about the corps. I don't care if the Cadets take 25th place. I will be rooting for them and hope they are concentrated on giving the members the best musical and visual experience in a safe environment. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Well, we could re-post GH's rants & ravings that's he's been posting on FB about all of the decisions being made by the current administration of The Cadets.  It's a sight to behold; but probably should just 'leave it be'.
:whistle:  

I’m old enough to remember when he found the Lord.  The Lord got ditched pretty quickly after he got off with a wrist slap.  Funny how that happens…🤔

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

No doubt it was. I think there is a lot of interest in the Blue Devils this year primarily because they did win the last championship and also because they have not fielded a show in 2 years. Despite how much I loved the Cadets show last year during a short exhibition season I think Cadets posts are quite a bit less because people are not sure what to expect as they try to rebound from their lowest placement (9th in 2019) since 1980. I am personally very excited to see everyone, but I think Blue Devils (who have been so innovative and always so sound in all captions) are drawing a lot of intrigue. And admittedly I am very interested to see where BD goes this year. As of now this show excites me. I have not seen anything but the concept seems very cool to me and I can't wait to see them. Of course, now that I got a taste of that Phantom Regiment brass line last night I am super pumped to see them too. 

Good point about the interest given BD took 2021 off. I agree.

I don't think the skipped year for BD, SCJ, and Crown means much for those corps' competitiveness. But at this point, we're all just speculating about it. I could be a little or massively wrong.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

2014 BD was the greatest drum corps show I ever saw.  I saw them on that cow pasture field in Metamora and said “ain’t nobody beating that”. 

I saw 2014 BD in Glendora CA, in late June. 

I remember thinking that whole DCI season, this is like the 1992 Dream Team USA Basketball taking on Angola in the Olympics. 

I also remembered feeling bad for the Bluecoats and Tilt. They had a gold medal show, but they were like the innocent person that gets caught in the crossfire, wrong place wrong time......or in Bloo's case, wrong year. 

Nobody on earth was beating Felliniesque. 

• Like 5

Saw 2014 in Ft wayne July 8. They were clean as a whistle already other than a tiny tear in the opener at the end of the trumpets thing and the ballad sucked the air right out of you with its beauty. 

They had a “tired run” according to a volunteer with them sitting next to me and Bloo was ON FIRE with Tilt that night. Some folks said later “Ft. Wayne was where tilt started to take off.”

BD won by a point that night and it was a close as anyone got to them all season.  I was actually stunned it was just a point 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Saw 2014 in Ft wayne July 8. They were clean as a whistle already other than a tiny tear in the opener at the end of the trumpets thing and the ballad sucked the air right out of you with its beauty. 

They had a “tired run” according to a volunteer with them sitting next to me and Bloo was ON FIRE with Tilt that night. Some folks said later “Ft. Wayne was where tilt started to take off.”

BD won by a point that night and it was a close as anyone got to them all season.  I was actually stunned it was just a point 

OMG bro it's crazy you commented this...............

I remember the 2014 Ft Wayne show because it was the first matchup of Fellini/Tilt. Like you i remember that BDs run that night was the worst run they had up to that point, and it turned out to be one of the worst runs of the season. BD just seemed tired, lackadaisical and just going thru the motions.

Bloo on the other hand was absolutely ON FIRE! Forget Ft Wayne, Bloo owned the entire state of Indiana that night. And they still lost by a full point. I knew BD was going unbeaten, but that outcome officially ended the DCI season. If you can't beat BD on their worst night when they seem to be handing it to you on a silver platter.........yea good luck.

Anyhow i came on DCP later that night and said BD was running the table, and Bloo wouldn't get closer than a point to BD for the rest of the season. Yea DCP didn't like that. This forum let me have it and i was public enemy number one.

Well as it turned out, i was correct, and you best believe on finals night I was collecting receipts from those people that had attacked me lol. Oddly enough for some strange reason, the majority of those people disappeared and never responded lol. Can't figure out why.........lol

• Like 2

Bloo was unreal that night. It was the original ending without the bend but multiple jump ramps in every direction. The big one got semi dropped at the end and there was a bit of alarm about an injury. Props were a bit wet still as it had rained right before the show. I recall some of the tenors didn’t go onto the ramps for the raise and tilt them part but took the alternate position in front. 

8 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Bloo was unreal that night. It was the original ending without the bend but multiple jump ramps in every direction. The big one got semi dropped at the end and there was a bit of alarm about an injury. Props were a bit wet still as it had rained right before the show. I recall some of the tenors didn’t go onto the ramps for the raise and tilt them part but took the alternate position in front. 

For some reason I remember the pitch bend in that show. I could be wrong though.