BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

I didn’t know it until later on here but that was the night Animal Farm took off for BAC too. They did that move at the start where the block jumps over ten yards and it was apparently a fix to judges feedback that went well. We were sitting high and not far from the box and I heard a judge loudly enthusing over it as “Oh! That’s new and a clever fix!”  

But yeah I left there with no doubt that BD won and would win the whole season with that show.  I expected 2 points as Bloo had so dirty feet still whole BDs movement was insanely clean for early July. 

• Like 3

I too was a fan of BD in the 70's and 80s.  Not that big of a fan for the last 20 years.  While they are always excellent technically, I feel their shows lack on the emotional side as compared to other corps.  In 2014 they obviously had a record score but the popular show that year by a wide margin was Tilt.  That's why BD will usually get golf claps from me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

For some reason I remember the pitch bend in that show. I could be wrong though. 

You might be right musically. They’d not put in the deal where they removed the horns from their mouths while on the ground for it though I don’t think. 

I remember the whole crowd just “What just happened?”  And then we’re all talking about different things in the last 15 seconds of the show. Haha!

BD came on and “whoa. There a lot of trumpets.” And “wait. Was that a tear?”  Then snap. BD got past it and the pauses and entrances in La Strada just left you gasping. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m old enough to remember when he found the Lord.  The Lord got ditched pretty quickly after he got off with a wrist slap.  Funny how that happens…🤔

Yup; after his trial & tribulations came to an end, all of his religious & Max Lucado quotes on social media went away.  I guess you could say "the mass has ended; go in peace"?  😇

It's kind of funny.  His 'lady friend' was commenting on one of his post the other day on FB.  😂   

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I remember years ago on here that the BD faithful were very few in number and not very vocal. I myself when I first became a DCI fan was not much of a BD fan, but their style very slowly grew on me and I came to find them to have the most exciting ensemble sound of any corps - no other corps seems to have the sparkle in their sound that they do.

Anyways, I think DCP becoming less hostile towards their avant-garde style to show design (partially because so many other corps have now joined in, partially because BD has moved a little bit back into the more classic style after 2013) has also contributed to the increase in the BD faithful and how vocal they are

I've been gone for pretty much the entire offseason, but glad to see the BD community so strong on here

When I didn’t see a single complaint about Bloo competing with a field full of chairs in 2018, I knew things had changed (somewhat). Only took a decade! 

I kinda miss those old debates, honestly. I appreciate that people find BD more appealing now than they used to,  but the troll in me craves a Through a Glass Darkly Part 2 — you know, stir the pot a little, start a DCP war. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, saxfreq1128 said:

When I didn’t see a single complaint about Bloo competing with a field full of chairs in 2018, I knew things had changed (somewhat). Only took a decade! 

I kinda miss those old debates, honestly. I appreciate that people find BD more appealing now than they used to,  but the troll in me craves a Through a Glass Darkly Part 2 — you know, stir the pot a little, start a DCP war. 

2010-2013 was highly entertaining if you were a BD fan on these forums. 

ABBD Crowd was in full effect.

Things definitely changed for the better in 2014. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I saw 2014 BD in Glendora CA, in late June. 

I remember thinking that whole DCI season, this is like the 1992 Dream Team USA Basketball taking on Angola in the Olympics. 

I also remembered feeling bad for the Bluecoats and Tilt. They had a gold medal show, but they were like the innocent person that gets caught in the crossfire, wrong place wrong time......or in Bloo's case, wrong year. 

Nobody on earth was beating Felliniesque. 

I saw BD in 2014 in Riverside at Wheel Lock stadium and thought the crowd really ate them up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I remember the 2014 Ft Wayne show because it was the first matchup of Fellini/Tilt. Like you i remember that BDs run that night was the worst run they had up to that point, and it turned out to be one of the worst runs of the season. BD just seemed tired, lackadaisical and just going thru the motions.

Bloo on the other hand was absolutely ON FIRE! Forget Ft Wayne, Bloo owned the entire state of Indiana that night. And they still lost by a full point. I knew BD was going unbeaten, but that outcome officially ended the DCI season. If you can't beat BD on their worst night when they seem to be handing it to you on a silver platter.........yea good luck.

...and this whole scenario is why I have a problem with the judging in the activity. That night showed it is about how well you can sell your design, not the performance on the field at any given night. ...and that turns the activity into a self perpetuating popularity contest. In order to score well, you have to design shows the prescribed way. Your marching style must conform to the prescribed way. Brass sound has to be one of a few prescribed ways. Your guard has to do specific things to win. Same with drums, but I think the percussion caption is the least influenced by this phenomenon .  It's like the movie "Strickly Ballroom (1992)". No new steps, only approved steps.

Way back before I marched, there used to be a myriad of styles and approaches to sound and visual. They have slowly died off. I'm hoping that this can change, but probably not.

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Yeah, 1930 was over rated... lol