BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

3 minutes ago, Dansize said:

Blue Devils just posted this. Found via their Twitter feed. Assuming it is fair to share here. 

So that’s why those drones were flying around… And here I was just wishing the aliens would abduct someone already and leave us all be

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I don’t know how many of the early season vids are still up but a fun thing about 2019 was how often that ending changed … Anyone else remember their brief “screeching violin improv” era? lol. Took a while for it to get as catchy as it is now, so maybe this year will be the same! 

Im hoping it gets changed!! Yes ghost light was 🔥

Pretty cool of them to put the dress rehearsal on their yt channel now. The uniforms look great, or at least the part shown so far. I truly appreciate how, despite all the modernization/avant garde changes, they can still be immediately identified as Blue Devils.The blue over black, trim silhouette - it's all a link to prior generations, even if now presented as sleeveless, covered in swirling pattern, and sequined. I truly don't get the thinking of corps who completely throw their visual legacies in the dumpster. The little hint of familiarity acts as a bit of comfort to fans - a reminder of good memories - especially in a currently turbulent world. 

The show is interesting, and likely only 50% of what it will end up being. It seems like it is going to be fun, engaging and positive, and the way the props keep joining into different shape combinations is clever and effective. 

Will be interesting to see how it evolves. Lots to improve in the flow right now, but they will no doubt get it right eventually.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Dansize said:

Blue Devils just posted this. Found via their Twitter feed. Assuming it is fair to share here. 

That looks much better than the other day....

Good!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Pretty cool of them to put the dress rehearsal on their yt channel now. The uniforms look great, or at least the part shown so far. I truly appreciate how, despite all the modernization/avant garde changes, they can still be immediately identified as Blue Devils.The blue over black, trim silhouette - it's all a link to prior generations, even if now presented as sleeveless, covered in swirling pattern, and sequined. I truly don't get the thinking of corps who completely throw their visual legacies in the dumpster. The little hint of familiarity acts as a bit of comfort to fans - a reminder of good memories - especially in a currently turbulent world. 

The show is interesting, and likely only 50% of what it will end up being. It seems like it is going to be fun, engaging and positive, and the way the props keep joining into different shape combinations is clever and effective. 

Will be interesting to see how it evolves. Lots to improve in the flow right now, but they will no doubt get it right eventually.

Yes I very much agree on the uniform point. There is at least a nod to familiarity which just helps identity. 

this show does seem much more of shell than perhaps past shows. Concept is pretty vague as well, compared to nighthawks per se. Yes they did a lot of experimenting with that show, but it was pretty set in stone. But with more metaphoric shows you can kind of do what you please… although don’t want to be too vague - there is a fine line there.

Edited by WarriorWay

16 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Agree. I saw a bad video feed from their Wyoming send off. Not bad and I was definitely intrigued. I just watched this video from Grand Terrace and my oh my I like it. As you said still plenty to be worked out and so much that is not even in the show yet. Brass will be great as their endurance improves. Love the percussion writing. The uniforms just sparkle and should be something to see live. Moon River will need some work to bring out the emotion and the nuance of those key changes and the lushness they will need without getting too brassy. There are some similarities to 2017 with the staging and props, but I actually like this ladders better and I love how they connect. Most likely when this gets cleaned it will be a visual monster, and we know what they can do musically. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more Blue Devils this summer. This should be a very fun show. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lyndakay27 said:

Thanks! Had my nap today so I could stay up to watch-midnight my time. I'm looking forward to their move toward the east. 

Likewise. Pennsylvania, here. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I was wondering what was going on with those drones, too. They're used by the staff as a learning tool? 

I loved the guard and the flag color changes, especially the blue mixed with all the other blue.. I'm just a color contrast kind of fan, I guess. 

I'm not a brass guy, but there seemed to be a lot of difficult licks in there. Some need some clean up work which of course will come, but the music overall I enjoy. Moon River was better than even I expected. 

Percussion-wise, the battery played a lot of "my era" rudiments which warmed my heart. Many of those seem to be a lost art. 

I am not loving the flags at the rehearsals. I think we have seen them before. I hope they are only practice flags and not performance flags. 

3 hours ago, DWW11 said:

I am not loving the flags at the rehearsals. I think we have seen them before. I hope they are only practice flags and not performance flags. 

Yep we saw the real flags at Rose Bowl tonight -- very interesting! The Moon River silks are a cloudy skyline design, and the closer silks have this amazing liquid effect; they have a bunch of people backstage at the end who walk across the rows of steps, and it looks like flowing water. 

But the corps jackets remain a mystery for now. I'm intrigued!!

• Like 2