BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

That diagonal front is so classic BD. Not sure if they’ll get it felliniesque clean but it will be significantly cleaner by August 

I agree, BD doesn’t seem to do as much “in your face difficult” drill like you’d see Crown or the Cadets do, they have a lot more subtle difficulty built into their shows 

They went backwards on that one.  I said holy 💩 look at that. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I’m very much confused by the park and bark comments. BD was marching actual formations last night for extended periods of time. If you timed it, I’d imagine they marched the most of any corps last night 

it's the same DUMB criticism every year, even when Blue Devils is Marching their ##### off. So many competing corps not marching much and even way less than BD, yet BD name is being called. Like the salty tears just flow endlessly every season. It  don't bother me no more Lol.. I get good laughs now

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

it's the same DUMB criticism every year, even when Blue Devils is Marching their ##### off. So many competing corps not marching much and even way less than BD, yet BD name is being called. Like the salty tears just flow endlessly every season. It  don't bother me no more Lol.. I get good laughs now

I’m completely impartial. Just calling them like I see them.  If you get to see the dress rehearsal with the drone shots, you can really what they’re doing. And the prop really works.  Especially the way it frames at the end.  And I hate props. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I just watched BD. How is it possible to be this great season after season. This show is magnificent.

And this great after two full years of dead stop. With a group of members who all experienced a two-year gap in their training, at one level or another. A true testament to the talent and excellence of the staff and the preparation program they have developed over the decades. 

I'd also say that they "read the room" correctly. This is a fun show. This is a happy and upbeat show. This is a vehicle for a few minutes of escape, for a population hungry for that. It's going to be a real crowd pleaser as it develops. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I just watched BD. How is it possible to be this great season after season. This show is magnificent.

BD production is upbeat and fun. It’s nice to not see corps use their productions as a designer therapist session. No more angst and angry faces! 🕺

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

BD production is upbeat and fun. It’s nice to not see corps use their productions as a designer therapist session. No more angst and angry faces! 🕺

As I said the other day, I like their musical choices and if anyone can overcome 2 years off and a small base of vets, it is BD. I still think they'll be in the top two.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, theonlyfizzle said:

It's such a hackneyed complaint at this point I can't believe people are still griping about it. As you said its also rarely based in actual substance. Slow marching > fast dancing any day of the week.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, craiga said:

As I said the other day, I like their musical choices and if anyone can overcome 2 years off and a small base of vets, it is BD. I still think they'll be in the top two.

And it’s a very small base at that. During our alumni get together yesterday, I asked someone involved with the organization closely, how many members they have that marched 2019. Answer is about 8...out of 162. That’s just an incredible turnover, but not surprising during a time where groups like BD were almost all 18 to 21-year-olds. Take two full years off, you’re not gonna have much left. 

The talent level is obvious, staff and design team still at the top of the activity. Where things get interesting is trying to upload the history, traditions, culture, and mindset of the organization into an empty vessel. That is going to be a process.

It was heartening to see the excitement of the group after they came off the field last night. Was really proud of the performance they put on for a first show. To think that about 155 performers were simultaneously experiencing the excitement, stress, and sheer terror of a first performance with Blue Devils! Annnd pulling it off well enough to get a standing O from discriminating and hard-to-impress alumni like myself, and another who is on staff with another top tier brass program. 

All that said, they have such a long way to go but the initial iteration is a great start. I was chatting with a long time friend and staff member at rehearsal on Friday. They alluded to how this group has made huge leaps forward in terms of performance, and they expect more of the same all summer. I think it’s going to be a special bunch by August. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

That diagonal front is so classic BD. Not sure if they’ll get it felliniesque clean but it will be significantly cleaner by August 

I agree, BD doesn’t seem to do as much “in your face difficult” drill like you’d see Crown or the Cadets do, they have a lot more subtle difficulty built into their shows 

Even when they max out straightforward difficulty it's something they don't get credit for. They partially do a reverse Z pull this year in their closer! But the Marching & Playing police are awfully quiet about that. 

When I rewatch shows like 2016 or 2018, I'm blown away by how much they're marching and how intricate and difficult it is and how odd it is that some people didn't see that. 2016's big hit during the ballad (the whirlpool) was played on the move, uptempo, with extremely exposed, long melodic lines to play as they moved. 2018 had that gnarly section after the company front, when those curves rotated extremely quickly into blocks. SCV had the better show for me that year, but visually, the difficulty really didn't compare.  

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1

They move a lot, but when it comes to the corps proper moving in lock step, not so much.  Maybe that just doesn't matter as much to the activity as much anymore 🤷🏽‍♂️.

I do like the props, and it is a fun musical show.  Hopefully more actual drill (and not just movement) is brought in during the summer.