BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

11 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Not at all. Here’s my favorite BD hater phrases: 

“All their shows look and sound the same. They just recycle the same thing over and over”  

“Their guard doesn’t do anything except flip their hair extensions”

“The judges just slot them in first. If the judges were blindfolded, BD wouldn’t come in first”

”Their shows have no demand compared to *insert other corps name here - usually Crown*”

Don't forget how the judges only get it right when BD loses. Example:

2008.......Jeff Prosperie puts BD 5th in drums. Phantom wins.

DCP: Prosperie is the greatest judge of all time.............Prosperie "ALWAYS" calls it like he sees it................Prosperie for President................Every DCI judge should follow in the footsteps of Prosperie.

2019........Jeff Prosperie puts BD 1st in drums finals night. BD wins.

DCP: Prosperie is horrible..............Prosperie has "ALWAYS" had a clear bias towards BD.................BD "ALWAYS" wins when Prosperie is judging..............When's the last time Prosperie called anything fair and down the middle.............Prosperie should have been fired by DCI years ago.  

• Like 3

Currently watching the run through and jotting my thoughts

- I’m starting to buy into the opener now 

- the final chord of the opener needs an additional resolution chord. Right now it feels like they’re leaving me hanging, and I’m not sure if that’s on purpose or not 

- transition into piccolo trumpet section is SO much better with the voiceover they added 

- in the section after the piccolo trumpet solo where the mellos are blasting our faces off, there’s this run right before the final chord of the movement that seems SO random and out of place and kinda lazy writing. Maybe it’s just a part of the source music, idk, but I’m not a fan of it. Reminds me of how Carolina Crown always adds unnecessary runs and flourishes to their writing, ruining the musicality of the piece 

- OMG WHAT. The changes in Moon River already are incredible! The duet in the beginning of the movement no longer sounds like they’re trying to awkwardly play over each other (I think they just adjusted the dynamics for the trumpet player) and the new ending to it is off the charts good! I have no idea how another show is going to top that ballad 

- I really would like to see the trumpets take Tank! up a register to be more faithful to the original piece. I feel like a lot of the energy of Tank comes from the screamers 

- this closer is very obviously a placeholder

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

- in the section after the piccolo trumpet solo where the mellos are blasting our faces off, there’s this run right before the final chord of the movement that seems SO random and out of place and kinda lazy writing. Maybe it’s just a part of the source music, idk, but I’m not a fan of it. Reminds me of how Carolina Crown always adds unnecessary runs and flourishes to their writing, ruining the musicality of the piece 

Ya def a little random. OTOH if anything makes a case for it, it’s the power of the hornline in the newest video. It really isn’t fair for them to sound like that in late June. When the rest of the show sounds that fierce it’s gonna be trouble for everyone else. 

And how is the company front so clean already, wth???

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Ya def a little random. OTOH if anything makes a case for it, it’s the power of the hornline in the newest video. It really isn’t fair for them to sound like that in late June. When the rest of the show sounds that fierce it’s gonna be trouble for everyone else. 

And how is the company front so clean already, wth???

Nobody does straight lines like BD. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

- the final chord of the opener needs an additional resolution chord. Right now it feels like they’re leaving me hanging, and I’m not sure if that’s on purpose or not 

THANK YOU, Cappybara!  That drives me crazy!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Not at all. Here’s my favorite BD hater phrases: 

“All their shows look and sound the same. They just recycle the same thing over and over”  

“Their guard doesn’t do anything except flip their hair extensions”

“The judges just slot them in first. If the judges were blindfolded, BD wouldn’t come in first”

”Their shows have no demand compared to *insert other corps name here - usually Crown*”

For years, that was me. I was a part of that chorus. It stemmed from marching against them in the '80s and the hatred I had towards them continues to this day, although it has dulled quite a bit and I was actually happy they won last year because I thought their show was slightly better than Bluecoats. I also loved them in 2017.

But from the mid-80s through 2016, I was singing in that chorus - singing that song you so eloquently crafted. Then I woke up and saw it for what it ####### is - the Devils are just the best. Period. End of. They are so good that no one has won without beating just them since 2006. They know how to play the game, they know how to design the best of designs, and they have the best talent. They are IT. 

I always say, "If you think you're the best, and you haven't beaten the Blue Devils yet, than you ain't the best!" I said that in 2018 and 2019 when Bluecoats fans thought early season they had a clear run to the championship, and I will say it as long as BD finishes 2nd or higher. 

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

For years, that was me. I was a part of that chorus. It stemmed from marching against them in the '80s and the hatred I had towards them continues to this day, although it has dulled quite a bit and I was actually happy they won last year because I thought their show was slightly better than Bluecoats. I also loved them in 2017.

But from the mid-80s through 2016, I was singing in that chorus - singing that song you so eloquently crafted. Then I woke up and saw it for what it ####### is - the Devils are just the best. Period. End of. They are so good that no one has won without beating just them since 2006. They know how to play the game, they know how to design the best of designs, and they have the best talent. They are IT. 

I always say, "If you think you're the best, and you haven't beaten the Blue Devils yet, than you ain't the best!" I said that in 2018 and 2019 when Bluecoats fans thought early season they had a clear run to the championship, and I will say it as long as BD finishes 2nd or higher. 

"GOOD......GOOD" "Let The Dark Side Consume You"

LMAO!

In all seriousness, I respect what you wrote. 

• Like 1

IMNSHO BD wIn because they rehearse way more effectively than any other corps and it’s not even close.  Their approach allows them more agility in their design.  They can respond to EVERYTHING they hear more or less instantly.  Furthermore they understand how rest (more specifically the lack of rest) affects an individual’s ability to absorb new info.  If your members retain well, there’s far less to clean. Finally they teach movement fundamentals very well. Not marching. Not basics.  Movement (as in the fundamentals of dance).   That pays off in so many different facets. 

The amazing thing is others people see these thing and don’t emulate.   Mind boggling. 

• Like 7

Have the snares always been playing in the background of Moon River or is that new? I thought it was a helicopter at first 😅

• Haha 1