BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

1 hour ago, karuna said:

IMNSHO BD wIn because they rehearse way more effectively than any other corps and it’s not even close.  Their approach allows them more agility in their design.  They can respond to EVERYTHING they hear more or less instantly.  Furthermore they understand how rest (more specifically the lack of rest) affects an individual’s ability to absorb new info.  If your members retain well, there’s far less to clean. Finally they teach movement fundamentals very well. Not marching. Not basics.  Movement (as in the fundamentals of dance).   That pays off in so many different facets. 

The amazing thing is others people see these thing and don’t emulate.   Mind boggling. 

You make many valid points, but..."not even close"   I can think of a corps (or 2) that might argue that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

"GOOD......GOOD" "Let The Dark Side Consume You"

LMAO!

In all seriousness, I respect what you wrote. 

Thanks. I try and be honest, even with my hatred. Haha. No I don't hate them any more, but I do hate them winning all the time, LOL. 

I mean, it is so astounding when you think about what they have accomplished all the way back to 1976, but especially from 2007 to today. 

It also shocks me when people count them out. I knew in 2018 that when Vanguard started beating them for good that Vanguard was going to win finals, even though they hadn't seen Bluecoats yet. You beat the Blue Devils and that title is guaranteed (at least since 2007) because no one else is going to beat them, and therefore no one is going to beat you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

You make many valid points, but..."not even close"   I can think of a corps (or 2) that might argue that.

There's probably not very many corps in world class I haven't watched rehearse many times(although a  very few might just be a couple of viewings instead of many).   Mostly to inform my own pedagogy although it's also a drum corps fix 🙂

I'll stand by my remarks.  It's a different world at a BD rehearsal.  No time is wasted.  None.  And the members are disciplined enough to handle the responsibility.  Expectations are high.  And the results speak for themselves.  Yes some corps have improved -- some dramatically.  But no one rehearses like they do.  Go watch and see for yourself.  Better yet talk to members of your favorite corps who've gone on to march at BD.  No -- I'll stand by my assertion.  

And for those unaware (can't imagine they exist but):   Saying I'm a Crown honk is an understatement.   

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BD’s rehearsals may be highly productive, but having a group of basically all new performers that haven’t toured since 2019 has to slow down the process some. After seeing some other programs I am not sure they have enough time to stay in the top 2. They have proved me wrong before and may do it again but I have to believe them not touring last season will put a different learning curve to this season. 

9 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

I have yet to see a corps that does body movements with the fluidity and consistency across all members like BD 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, karuna said:

IMNSHO BD wIn because they rehearse way more effectively than any other corps and it’s not even close.  Their approach allows them more agility in their design.  They can respond to EVERYTHING they hear more or less instantly.  Furthermore they understand how rest (more specifically the lack of rest) affects an individual’s ability to absorb new info.  If your members retain well, there’s far less to clean. Finally they teach movement fundamentals very well. Not marching. Not basics.  Movement (as in the fundamentals of dance).   That pays off in so many different facets. 

This was even true BITD. I can only imagine what their rehearsals are like today. All during the 70s, watching a BD rehearsal was like watching nothing you'd ever seen. 100% pure precision. The closest thing to it was SCV when Royer was alive. It's a strong testament to staff like SCOJO who marched in those times. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Not at all. Here’s my favorite BD hater phrases: 

“All their shows look and sound the same. They just recycle the same thing over and over”  

“Their guard doesn’t do anything except flip their hair extensions”

“The judges just slot them in first. If the judges were blindfolded, BD wouldn’t come in first”

”Their shows have no demand compared to *insert other corps name here - usually Crown*”

...... or a  fill in the blank, Corps ( not named BD ) is " going to go undefeated  this season ".   While such bravado over the Blue Devils ( 19 DCI Titles ) does not cross the realm into " BD hate ", imo, the annual preseason hype for such corps is remarkable, imo.☺️

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

This was even true BITD. I can only imagine what their rehearsals are like today. All during the 70s, watching a BD rehearsal was like watching nothing you'd ever seen. 100% pure precision. The closest thing to it was SCV when Royer was alive. It's a strong testament to staff like SCOJO who marched in those times. 

I have been to ten world class corps rehearsals and counting. BD by far has the best rehearsals. They are so streamlined and efficient. Not a second is wasted. Does that mean the other corps rehearsals were soup sandwiches..........OF COURSE NOT! Those corps took care of business as well and did it at an EXTREMELY HIGH LEVEL.

BD is just...........I can't put it into words. One would have to see their rehearsals live and in person to fully understand. 

• Like 3