BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

18 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Currently watching the run through and jotting my thoughts

- I’m starting to buy into the opener now 

- the final chord of the opener needs an additional resolution chord. Right now it feels like they’re leaving me hanging, and I’m not sure if that’s on purpose or not 

- transition into piccolo trumpet section is SO much better with the voiceover they added 

- in the section after the piccolo trumpet solo where the mellos are blasting our faces off, there’s this run right before the final chord of the movement that seems SO random and out of place and kinda lazy writing. Maybe it’s just a part of the source music, idk, but I’m not a fan of it. Reminds me of how Carolina Crown always adds unnecessary runs and flourishes to their writing, ruining the musicality of the piece 

- OMG WHAT. The changes in Moon River already are incredible! The duet in the beginning of the movement no longer sounds like they’re trying to awkwardly play over each other (I think they just adjusted the dynamics for the trumpet player) and the new ending to it is off the charts good! I have no idea how another show is going to top that ballad 

- I really would like to see the trumpets take Tank! up a register to be more faithful to the original piece. I feel like a lot of the energy of Tank comes from the screamers 

- this closer is very obviously a placeholder

The three last main points at the end are/would be good to see changed. Ballad already apparently is being approached differently, tank would be better with those changes, maybe it comes about, and yeah I think along with other corps there’s gonna be changes to several of these closers, more than likely as the season goes on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Currently watching the run through and jotting my thoughts

- I’m starting to buy into the opener now 

- the final chord of the opener needs an additional resolution chord. Right now it feels like they’re leaving me hanging, and I’m not sure if that’s on purpose or not 

- transition into piccolo trumpet section is SO much better with the voiceover they added 

- in the section after the piccolo trumpet solo where the mellos are blasting our faces off, there’s this run right before the final chord of the movement that seems SO random and out of place and kinda lazy writing. Maybe it’s just a part of the source music, idk, but I’m not a fan of it. Reminds me of how Carolina Crown always adds unnecessary runs and flourishes to their writing, ruining the musicality of the piece 

- OMG WHAT. The changes in Moon River already are incredible! The duet in the beginning of the movement no longer sounds like they’re trying to awkwardly play over each other (I think they just adjusted the dynamics for the trumpet player) and the new ending to it is off the charts good! I have no idea how another show is going to top that ballad 

- I really would like to see the trumpets take Tank! up a register to be more faithful to the original piece. I feel like a lot of the energy of Tank comes from the screamers 

- this closer is very obviously a placeholder

Agree with most of this. Moon River definitely needed tweaked with the solos and a little with how they will build to climax and close. But the base is there to make this part of the show super special. The closer when you get past the company front that moves backfield is definitely a placeholder. But up to the company front I love it. I like how the props come together and look like waves, or a river, with the brass marching backfield. Very effective. Now they just need to close the show and enhance the music so we know where it's going. 

Short of those things I think the show is killer good. Small tweaks here and there can make a big difference. They may want to enhance the first big brass hit after the opening body movement. It's solid but maybe needs more interesting chordal and melodic content. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danby510 said:

BD’s rehearsals may be highly productive, but having a group of basically all new performers that haven’t toured since 2019 has to slow down the process some. After seeing some other programs I am not sure they have enough time to stay in the top 2. They have proved me wrong before and may do it again but I have to believe them not touring last season will put a different learning curve to this season. 

I didn’t know BD had refused to allow members who marched with other corps in the last two years.  You learn something new every day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danby510 said:

BD’s rehearsals may be highly productive, but having a group of basically all new performers that haven’t toured since 2019 has to slow down the process some. After seeing some other programs I am not sure they have enough time to stay in the top 2. They have proved me wrong before and may do it again but I have to believe them not touring last season will put a different learning curve to this season. 

Don't mind me. Just noting this to come back to and collect receipts in August. 

See you then. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I have yet to see a corps that does body movements with the fluidity and consistency across all members like BD 

I watched a little of Scott Chandler’s virtual dance sessions from 2020 and it clarified what we already knew (given his successes with BD and James Logan, among others, over the years): He’s an incredible teacher.

That said what also feels true is that this group of MMs seems especially fearless. They simple seem game for anything. Going to BD, you’d have to be. I love BD’s opening dance segment this year because everyone beyond the pit is part of it and they’re all doing it very well. It’s quite a statement. 

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Agree with most of this. Moon River definitely needed tweaked with the solos and a little with how they will build to climax and close. But the base is there to make this part of the show super special. The closer when you get past the company front that moves backfield is definitely a placeholder. But up to the company front I love it. I like how the props come together and look like waves, or a river, with the brass marching backfield. Very effective. Now they just need to close the show and enhance the music so we know where it's going. 

Short of those things I think the show is killer good. Small tweaks here and there can make a big difference. They may want to enhance the first big brass hit after the opening body movement. It's solid but maybe needs more interesting chordal and melodic content. 

I liked the original version of Moon River, but I’ll this one’s ok too. At least I have a sample to listen to and enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

I watched a little of Scott Chandler’s virtual dance sessions from 2020 and it clarified what we already knew (given his successes with BD and James Logan, among others, over the years): He’s an incredible teacher.

That said what also feels true is that this group of MMs seems especially fearless. They simple seem game for anything. Going to BD, you’d have to be. I love BD’s opening dance segment this year because everyone beyond the pit is part of it and they’re all doing it very well. It’s quite a statement. 

Big Daddy is the best!  People talk about the corps playing to the sheets but if you ever have a chance to hear him talk or speak to him, that is not the motivation behind the BD design process.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just got home from BDs rehearsal. Wow. Just wow. Like BD shows of past, their shows MUST BE SEEN LIVE. Tempus Blue is no different. YouTube/Flomarching etc does them no justice. 

If you have never been to a BD rehearsal.........get it on your DCI bucket list. I just can't explain it or put it into words.

BD was super motivated tonight. Staff gave them a lot of props thru-out the night rehearsal block. More than I have ever heard in previous years attending the Devils rehearsals. 

Tubas got singled out for some love.

Bass Drums got singled out for some love (lyndakay27's daughter absolutely loved the shoutout from the staff as she jumped up and down with her bass drum LMAO).

Brass got love for how clean their rotating straight line is. The staff told them it's freaking scary how clean they got that straight line so early in July, and at this point in the season, the Felliniesque kids didn't have their rotating line this straight. The kids REALLY ENJOYED HEARING THAT.  

The screamers were on fire tonight. Definitely a lot better than Tempe last night.

Hearing the changes to Moon River online, wasn't sure about it. Hearing it live tonight, YES! YES! YES! 

Tank makes me want to throw someone else's baby on the field, maybe throw an adult too while I am at it. 

Closer is definitely going to change. It screams early season placeholder. Something is definitely in the works later in the season.

However, since some on this forum swear up and down when (insert corps name here) puts their closer on the field......OR puts in the real closer, that corps score is going to jump 57 points, I guess us BD Honks can say the same right?

BD is off tomorrow, 4th of July free day, then they head up north for the Fresno, Sacramento, and Stanford shows starting Tuesday. 

DO IT UP DEVILS!!!!!!

GO GET'EM GOLD!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Just got home from BDs rehearsal. Wow. Just wow. Like BD shows of past, their shows MUST BE SEEN LIVE. Tempus Blue is no different. YouTube/Flomarching etc does them no justice. 

If you have never been to a BD rehearsal.........get it on your DCI bucket list. I just can't explain it or put it into words.

BD was super motivated tonight. Staff gave them a lot of props thru-out the night rehearsal block. More than I have ever heard in previous years attending the Devils rehearsals. 

Tubas got singled out for some love.

Bass Drums got singled out for some love (lyndakay27's daughter absolutely loved the shoutout from the staff as she jumped up and down with her bass drum LMAO).

Brass got love for how clean their rotating straight line is. The staff told them it's freaking scary how clean they got that straight line so early in July, and at this point in the season, the Felliniesque kids didn't have their rotating line this straight. The kids REALLY ENJOYED HEARING THAT.  

The screamers were on fire tonight. Definitely a lot better than Tempe last night.

Hearing the changes to Moon River online, wasn't sure about it. Hearing it live tonight, YES! YES! YES! 

Tank makes me want to throw someone else's baby on the field, maybe throw an adult too while I am at it. 

Closer is definitely going to change. It screams early season placeholder. Something is definitely in the works later in the season.

However, since some on this forum swear up and down when (insert corps name here) puts their closer on the field......OR puts in the real closer, that corps score is going to jump 57 points, I guess us BD Honks can say the same right?

BD is off tomorrow, 4th of July free day, then they head up north for the Fresno, Sacramento, and Stanford shows starting Tuesday. 

DO IT UP DEVILS!!!!!!

GO GET'EM GOLD!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback chief. Love the enthusiasm and positive energy you giving off from your visit. I know this show is special and it already shows.

I really anticipate the hornline overcoming all the challenges, to master what they've been given to perform. It's a complex, tasty book. I just love the music, the book is insane and is the possible new winner of the Ott.

I know they (certain fanbase) already assigned the ott to certain corps, but i think they are speaking too soon. Yes they soud incredible, but so is BD. I want the Ott to BD this year, more than even overall winning, that would make me happiest the most.

I have to repeat the positive reinforcement the staff been imparting on the kids, it makes alot of sense. There's a saying goes, "encouragement sweeten labor" and it really is true. Praising the kids on their hard work, is definitely a good balance to the process to help push them to even do greater. Love this! 💙

• Like 3