BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

Since the show is FINALLY on Flo with sound, I decided to give it a few more watches. Two main things I observed: 

1. I’m not a percussion guy but the demand in this book seems so much more than BD’s previous books. The opening feature with the tenors coming in hot is insane and pit and battery seem to be featured more in this show than really any corps other than SCV. I know Boston’s got a great line this season but I don’t see how anyone other than BD or SCV takes the Sanford this season. If BD  puts in 3 stellar runs, I think the Sanford is theirs 

2. The mellos are the strongest I’ve ever heard them. I can only assume this is Chip Crotts’ doing. BD’s hornline is always strong but I feel like ever since Felliniesque, the hornline hasn’t been on the same level as it was from 2008-2014. It definitely feels like the brass has taken a step up, especially from 2018 and 2019 

My only complaint about the show (fully acknowledging that the closer will be changed in a couple weeks) is the random run they have inserted before the end of the 2nd movement. Just still seems like a weird compositional choice and isn’t very musical. 

and yes, I’m finally sold on that unresolved chord in the opener lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Since the show is FINALLY on Flo with sound, I decided to give it a few more watches. Two main things I observed: 

1. I’m not a percussion guy but the demand in this book seems so much more than BD’s previous books. The opening feature with the tenors coming in hot is insane and pit and battery seem to be featured more in this show than really any corps other than SCV. I know Boston’s got a great line this season but I don’t see how anyone other than BD or SCV takes the Sanford this season. If BD  puts in 3 stellar runs, I think the Sanford is theirs 

2. The mellos are the strongest I’ve ever heard them. I can only assume this is Chip Crotts’ doing. BD’s hornline is always strong but I feel like ever since Felliniesque, the hornline hasn’t been on the same level as it was from 2008-2014. It definitely feels like the brass has taken a step up, especially from 2018 and 2019 

My only complaint about the show (fully acknowledging that the closer will be changed in a couple weeks) is the random run they have inserted before the end of the 2nd movement. Just still seems like a weird compositional choice and isn’t very musical. 

They had better not touch that run! Unless they make it even more elaborate! 😜

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

They had better not touch that run! Unless they make it even more elaborate! 😜

:grrr:

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

:grrr:

Haha

Thank you for letting us know that the sound is finally on the Flo Marching videos!

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Happy for you!  It’s still like nails on a chalkboard for me. 😩

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Happy for you!  It’s still like nails on a chalkboard for me. 😩

For me it helped to think about the energy of the 2nd movement. That unresolved chord is almost like the inertia into that movement. 

I still would prefer a resolved chord BUT I no longer dislike the way it is now lol

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Blue Devils have been crowd favorites for a couple of years now. I think Felliniesque was a big turning point where BD can be dominant competitively but also engaging for the audience. It's a lot different vibe than the early 2010's. 

Agree. You don't have to be Madison 1995 where the crowd was throwing babies to be entertaining. In the 2000s the only years where it seemed the fans did not give BD much crowd live were 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013. Maybe 2008. I certainly like all those shows, but in general they were not baby throwing shows; but then again most DCI shows are not baby throwing shows. But from 2014 - 2019 BD was VERY entertaining. And they are again in 2022. And from 2000 to 2007 they were plenty entertaining. 

• Like 4

On 7/16/2022 at 10:51 PM, Cappybara said:

Are my eyes deceiving me? Is BDB really 12th place overall in percussion? Crazy 

I panicked until I re-read it and realized you meant "Blue Devils B". That sick front ensemble jam at the beginning of Tempus Blue deserves waaay more than 12th place

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

welcome to the dark side

I gotta admit I think it would be extremely cool if BAC took the Sanford this year BUT — it’s almost scary how quickly BD’s line has gotten clean. There are lot recordings of them 3 days apart that are night and day. And it seems they’re the section with the least # of BD vets this summer. Just such an impressive group. The whole corps, really. 

• Like 1