Jump to content

BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, lyndakay27 said:

And it didn’t help that some of those drops took some really unlucky bounces to where they had to chase down the rifle. But BD does some tough elements. And they have some great dancers doing some not easy dance moves. I even saw some great ballet moves out of the brass. 

Yes, definitely. The guard is also wherever the spotlight is on the musicians. I think that’s part of their great design. But the guard’s dance skills really set them apart. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NakedEye said:

Yes, not their best. Looked stronger in CO the other day. BUT...so many are ragging on the guard for being "rough," but oh, please. I thought they looked much stronger in some areas, with some very standout drops. Why were those so noticeable? Their work is so exposed. It occurred to me last night that the weapons especially are doing a lot of hard stuff while on the move. That hasn't been done as much lately. It's been more of the plant in spot and do work with dance. So when someone drops, you REALLY see it.

Boston, Crown and Bloo dropped as well, but often times when the whole design didn't put the emphasis on them.

Monday morning quarterbacks think guard scores are just about tallying drops, and that’s the first sign you don’t need to listen to them on the issue. The guard criterion is literally the same as every other section: What matters is a consistency of excellence. What matters as much as drops is recovery. Same if you march out of step, frack a note, etc etc. What the judges want to see is that the entire group’s technique is strong. A drop amid a group of solid catches doesn’t dim their confidence in that. A cluster of shaky catches with 0 drops does.

Not that this particular section is even worth arguing about because the achv score was third! That’s not exactly a win! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The haters and backseat judges are giving me much joy in that Broken Arrow thread. I just sit back and giggle…

Blue Devils were magnificent! And I enjoyed all the shows last night!

Including the DCP whining afterwards!

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, jaylogan said:

The haters and backseat judges are giving me much joy in that Broken Arrow thread. I just sit back and giggle…

Blue Devils were magnificent! And I enjoyed all the shows last night!

Including the DCP whining afterwards!

Yes, they were magnificent and they can be even more magnificent, and they will be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Monday morning quarterbacks think guard scores are just about tallying drops, and that’s the first sign you don’t need to listen to them on the issue. The guard criterion is literally the same as every other section: What matters is a consistency of excellence. What matters as much as drops is recovery. Same if you march out of step, frack a note, etc etc. What the judges want to see is that the entire group’s technique is strong. A drop amid a group of solid catches doesn’t dim their confidence in that. A cluster of shaky catches with 0 drops does.

Not that this particular section is even worth arguing about because the achv score was third! That’s not exactly a win! 

At that level of the game, though, everyone is excellent, so it sometimes should come down to a drop or five.

All those top guards, all the way down to Blue Stars are consistent and have good books. The drops should matter, the recovery should matter, but also performing the book should matter. It's ok, we're on opposite sides of the issue. I don't really care that much, but I call a spade a spade.

I'm grateful there's a summer activity to complain about, so there's that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

Thanks to @BlueStainGlass for posting this over in Broken Arrow Thread. See below. No idea who Gabe Trotter is, but I think we found the leader of the ABBD Movement. The fact that he had to get his mind and body ready to argue about a show performed by some kids tells me exactly where he is in life.................which is not very far. 

 

 

I hope Gabe Trotter is here for this take of his on DCP FB 

 

Lmao. Shoutout BD for moving like 4 times in their show. Every other corps is out there working hard while BD stands still for 10 minutes and waits for the judges to hand them a ring. They dance from amorphous blob to amorphous blob and then stand for 45 seconds to play their horns. The “epic” ending to the show is them marching at like 120 bpm for a minte and a half. The arrangement of moon river is too much. They tried to add too much to it and it comes out as a hot mess. No amount of good players can fix an arrangement that sounds like someone’s cat ran across their keyboard and they decided to just go with it. Before any of you try to hit me with the “wElL tHe JuDgEs SeEm To DiSaGrEe” I don’t care. If you watched that show and legitimately thought it was two points better than any other corps that performed you’re delusional. They could go out and sit on the ground in silence the whole time and some of y’all would still be saying it’s “genius” or “revolutionary”. Stop letting the judges scoresheet tell you what is good and what isn’t. If their name didn’t carry as much weight as it does they would be getting railed by everyone on this page and at every competition they went to.about how the show is mind numbingly easy. I have fully prepared my mind and body for the comment section so bring it on.

This guy's energy is a lot like that mini dissertation we got in 2018 about why SCV's show was a complete musical failure

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly there’s been a lot of people harping on drops in the guard last night. I think that’s crap.when you do really hard skills, it won’t be perfect every night. Boston and Devils guards should be several tenths ahead of everyone else in content. it’s mind blowing that the judge even slotted the guards so close. It should be BAC and BD trading back and forth this season and everyone else is at least .3 behind in content if not more until others add in more difficulty. Time for judges to start recognizing the level of difficulty and stop rewarding much easier skills. 
EDIT: I’m not putting down any corps, how hard they work or their talent!! 

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

Honestly there’s been a lot of people harping on drops in the guard last night. I think that’s crap.when you do really hard skills, it won’t be perfect every night. Boston and Devils guards should be several tenths ahead of everyone else in content. it’s mind blowing that the judge even slotted the guards so close. It should be BAC and BD trading back and forth this season and everyone else is at least .3 behind in content if not more until others add in more difficulty. Time for judges to start recognizing the level of difficulty and stop rewarding much easier skills. 
EDIT: I’m not putting down any corps, how hard they work or their talent!! 

Very few points to work with..its also the reason perfect scores are given out at championships. Never perfect just the highest score. If you look at a tenth as actually maybe a point, the perspective is different. Either way it's all due to numbers, or lack of them.

 

 

Edited by GUARDLING
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blue Devils frustrate me with their success only because I’d like to see it for other corps more often than what we currently see. That being said… I don’t understand why other corps don’t play Devil game. Maybe a couple get close, sometimes they outdo them. Year after year though, BD come out strong and are the corps to beat. I’m not a fan of their rehash of themselves every year, but it doesn’t discount that the final product is as quality as can be. More importantly, it WORKS. What they do obviously simply essentially pragmatically works. Why don’t other corps, especially corps with championship ambition take a note from their book? Could it be a, for lack of a better phrase, “sense of pride”? “We don’t do what BD does bc that’s just what THEY do..” Bluecoats change to modern uniforms then EVERYONE does. Who are these people marching on the field now? Where is the identity? Maybe I can hear it but where do I see it?  Did any of these drastic changes even matter/make a difference in their trajectory? Everything up in the air for everyone but one corps. Blue Devils upgrade, but do they really ever change? And THAT is their success story.  I’m a Crown fan, but I’ll call it as I see it. 

EDIT: I said a lot of nothing! In short, 
Devils “play to the sheets” so why don’t other corps “play to the sheets”. It’s not illegal, not taboo, nor is it a bad idea. If it’s so rigged, be even MORE corrupt. 

Edited by squarepush
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, squarepush said:

Blue Devils frustrate me with their success only because I’d like to see it for other corps more often than what we currently see. That being said… I don’t understand why other corps don’t play Devil game. Maybe a couple get close, sometimes they outdo them. Year after year though, BD come out strong and are the corps to beat. I’m not a fan of their rehash of themselves every year, but it doesn’t discount that the final product is as quality as can be. More importantly, it WORKS. What they do obviously simply essentially pragmatically works. Why don’t other corps, especially corps with championship ambition take a note from their book? Could it be a, for lack of a better phrase, “sense of pride”? “We don’t do what BD does bc that’s just what THEY do..” Bluecoats change to modern uniforms then EVERYONE does. Who are these people marching on the field now? Where is the identity? Maybe I can hear it but where do I see it?  Did any of these drastic changes even matter/make a difference in their trajectory? Everything up in the air for everyone but one corps. Blue Devils upgrade, but do they really ever change? And THAT is their success story.  I’m a Crown fan, but I’ll call it as I see it. 

EDIT: I said a lot of nothing! In short, 
Devils “play to the sheets” so why don’t other corps “play to the sheets”. It’s not illegal, not taboo, nor is it a bad idea. If it’s so rigged, be even MORE corrupt. 

Perhaps most of  the corps are playing to the sheets and some fans choose not to see it out of their desire for the judges’ critical victor to lose or perhaps  they want so badly to believe the show is rigged or corrupt (since their favorite is not scoring as high as they want them to in their own biased view).

 I don’t understand why people can’t just enjoy the amazing shows these corps members and their creative staff are putting out.

 This year I have so many favorites but at the top of my list are Blue Devils and Blue Stars. Other people’s favorites are not necessarily my cup of tea, but I’m not going to insult them by saying they don’t know how to program effectively. What they do may not appeal to me as much as they do to others, but I still appreciate them putting the effort in and am able to enjoy them. Those that I enjoy less I’m not going to spend an inordinate amount of time and words to denigrate their efforts.

That said, I do hypocritically enjoy other posters’ sour grapes. I dip them in a sweet sauce and follow it with a nice Saltine and sip of water.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...