BLUE DEVILS 2022 The Return

I don't get why people are saying the devils are stale and boring this year because they are not. You could say that they are doing nothing new and fresh because they have done the same formula year after year but it wins and the judges award it so you know what, keep doing it. Is it good for drum corps? Maybe, maybe not but you keep doing it until it's not rewarded anymore. 

1 hour ago, ndrudy2013 said:

I don't get why people are saying the devils are stale and boring this year because they are not. You could say that they are doing nothing new and fresh because they have done the same formula year after year but it wins and the judges award it so you know what, keep doing it. Is it good for drum corps? Maybe, maybe not but you keep doing it until it's not rewarded anymore. 

Sort of contradicted yourself here buddy 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 2:59 AM, jaylogan said:

Perhaps most of  the corps are playing to the sheets and some fans choose not to see it out of their desire for the judges’ critical victor to lose or perhaps  they want so badly to believe the show is rigged or corrupt (since their favorite is not scoring as high as they want them to in their own biased view).

I don’t understand why people can’t just enjoy the amazing shows these corps members and their creative staff are putting out.

This year I have so many favorites but at the top of my list are Blue Devils and Blue Stars. Other people’s favorites are not necessarily my cup of tea, but I’m not going to insult them by saying they don’t know how to program effectively. What they do may not appeal to me as much as they do to others, but I still appreciate them putting the effort in and am able to enjoy them. Those that I enjoy less I’m not going to spend an inordinate amount of time and words to denigrate their efforts.

That said, I do hypocritically enjoy other posters’ sour grapes. I dip them in a sweet sauce and follow it with a nice Saltine and sip of water.

I just laugh at the “play to the sheets” conspiracy theory. If anyone has seen the sheets...I haven’t in a few years, but as a former judge, the most recent sheets I’ve seen were so vague, you couldn’t really write a show or create a template based on the criteria. They speak of design depth and performance quality, but there’s nothing specific that says you have to have this many tosses, or X amount of notes from the horns, or a certain advanced rudiment to “put you over the top”. It is open source, there is not some secret sword that needs to be removed from a stone, or some ancient manuscript which needs to be translated. The thought is just asinine and ridiculous.

I think there are three basic things that set Blue Devils apart from the immediate competition (many times, not always but they succeed at these more often than not) : 

1. Layered and varied movement vocabulary from all sections

2. transitions, transitions, and transitions. Absolutely the best transitions in the business.

3. Getting the absolute best out of the performers and program at the right time. The ability of staff to have the corps peaking not only at Indy, but also on finals night, is probably the most compelling and important distinction.

I have attended most of the finals over the past 10 years, and can think of two specific instances in which they may have finished second on any other night without a peak performance - 2015 and 2019. In both instances, they pulled out that ace and turned the two pairs into a full house. This type of phenomenon has happened repeatedly over the years, and that’s what sets them apart.

This is not to discredit or discount any of the top contenders such as crown, bluecoats, etc. The performance and design quality of all groups, especially at the top, is really outstanding. When you get up into the medals, the difference between groups is almost imperceptible and requires a very critical eye and ear. Just as with Olympics and professional athletes, the difference between rings and second place Is the ability to deliver when the chips are down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

They speak of design depth and performance quality, but there’s nothing specific that says you have to have this many tosses, or X amount of notes from the horns, or a certain advanced rudiment to “put you over the top”.

Bingo. 

This is the gripe people have always had with Blue Devils. The notion of perfecting ‘easy’ shows to get the score. This goes back to the park and bark days of the 90’s/2000’s. Your statement validates that consideration is not given for increased demand. Devils figured this out a long time ago.

While other corps were laying down z-pulls, Y-pulls (whatever SCV calls it), and all that Michael Gaines insanity, the Devs just just weren’t interested. To each his own. 

Edited by CFC1905
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2022 at 4:38 PM, ndrudy2013 said:

Subtle trolling

• Like 1

Congratulations to the Blue Devils tonight for your win here at the San Antonio Regionals. 

Now with that impressive performance tonight, please take the next 12-14 practice days off, ok, as you dont really need to practice any more between tonite and.. oh maybe Allentown in 3 weeks or so, ...trust me.😋

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Boss Anova said:

Congratulations to the Blue Devils tonight for your win here at the San Antonio Regionals. 

Now with that impressive performance tonight, please take the next 10 practice days off, ok, as you dont really need to practice any more between tonite and Allentown, trust me.😋

I would go even further. No more practices the rest of the season. 😜