Staging on a football field

At least three corps this summer used the DOWNSTAGE right portion of the field to set up their props.With Crown using this same area in 2019. I was wondering if this a trend or just coincidence..peace

On 9/1/2021 at 7:20 PM, keystone3ply said:

Drum corps are using props now? :whistle:

I blame "Blast!" I would blame Gary Busey (because...well, he's Gary Busey.) But since I can't somehow connect him to DCI, I'll just stay with blaming 'Blast!."

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I blame "Blast!" I would blame Gary Busey (because...well, he's Gary Busey.) But since I can't somehow connect him to DCI, I'll just stay with blaming 'Blast!."

Gary Busey could be the answer to all of the world's problems.  He should start a 'cult' & become their leader. 

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2021 at 2:31 PM, waliman4444 said:

At least three corps this summer used the DOWNSTAGE right portion of the field to set up their props.With Crown using this same area in 2019. I was wondering if this a trend or just coincidence..peace

I can't speak for any designers, but in theater more comfortable things are usually placed "downstage right" like love scenes and happy songs, while more uncomfortable things are staged "downstage left." The basic theory that I learned in theater and art classes was that we read in the US from left to right, so it is comfortable for us to rest our eyes to our left and more difficult to the right. I asked Cesario about this in the early 80's as a young drill writer and he confirmed it.

Is that why people are staging props there? Who knows?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1