Quick Change Costumes

Yes, other corps have changed costumes and had to either leave what they took off on the field or hide it from view.  We don't see what Vanguard's effort in '85 took to accomplish because of the tunnel but there have been stories posted on here of how long it took to get it right and when timing was off and corps members didn't quite get their green pants off in time.   

Vanguard's 2008 costume change is different.  In an instant, a brown skirt and colorful top becomes a blue dress with nothing left on the field.  Look at the two lines of guard meeting on the 50 yard line at the 10:00 mark. 

This is similar to these effects like the following we've seen on entertainment shows. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Continental said:

Yes, other corps have changed costumes and had to either leave what they took off on the field or hide it from view.  We don't see what Vanguard's effort in '85 took to accomplish because of the tunnel but there have been stories posted on here of how long it took to get it right and when timing was off and corps members didn't quite get their green pants off in time.   

Vanguard's 2008 costume change is different.  In an instant, a brown skirt and colorful top becomes a blue dress with nothing left on the field.  Look at the two lines of guard meeting on the 50 yard line at the 10:00 mark. 

This is similar to these effects like the following we've seen on entertainment shows. 

I remember watching that. 

In 85 I was with another corps and I was amazed at the SCV show .   I couldn't believe they were kids just like us.  I still think that was one of the best shows I had ever seen. Maybe it was just seeing only parts of it live. Later I became friends with some people in that SCV corps .  I think it is on my profile as my favorite show.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

In 85 I was with another corps and I was amazed at the SCV show .   I couldn't believe they were kids just like us.  I still think that was one of the best shows I had ever seen. Maybe it was just seeing only parts of it live. Later I became friends with some people in that SCV corps .  I think it is on my profile as my favorite show.

Same here but it goes back further. Their first iteration of Young Persons Guide To Drum Corps made me fall in love with drum corps. That is why I love the fugues the Regiment and a few other corps have played over the years. There is a lot of joy and release in that music. Reminds me of how much I love MUSIC.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 5:31 PM, Sutasaurus said:

Smoke, mirrors, and velcro. Don’t forget the tunnel in their 1985 show.

This was 2 years before my first season in DCI. I remember watching from the stands with my father and him going absolutely insane about how cool the tunnel change was and my mother saying "Art....it's just velcro...just regular old velcro." 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Same here but it goes back further. Their first iteration of Young Persons Guide To Drum Corps made me fall in love with drum corps. That is why I love the fugues the Regiment and a few other corps have played over the years. There is a lot of joy and release in that music. Reminds me of how much I love MUSIC.

The music is what has always driven me in drum corps.  Hearing so many completed musical thoughts this season, made me very happy.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

On 9/4/2021 at 9:30 AM, Terri Schehr said:

The music is what has always driven me in drum corps.  Hearing so many completed musical thoughts this season, made me very happy.  

Me too.  

I hope it doesn't require another pandemic & year-off by DCI for completed musical thought to return.  

• Like 3

On 9/2/2021 at 4:09 PM, Continental said:

Vanguard did this in 2008.   Watch from 9:50 onward.

Has anyone ever done this again?

I still don't understand how this was achieved and I know it's been done on many entertainment shows.

That being said, it seems to have only been done one year unless I am wrong.

Also, Pete Weber, please come back. 

I have done this with a few guards in marching band shows and also with a pretty good WGI PSW indoor group with a soloist.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:09 PM, Continental said:

I still don't understand how this was achieved and I know it's been done on many entertainment shows.

I don't see that anyone ever actually answered your question. There is a velcro strap or button snap on one (or both) shoulder(s). The light blue is the "inside" layer and the brown was the "outside" layer. They are sewn together at the waist. The guard releases the attachment on the shoulder and the top half of the dress falls down, revealing the blue underneath. The brown on top blue beneath section that had been covering waist-to-shoulder before is now the blue on top brown beneath skirt from the waist down.

Here are examples you can watch to see how it works.

• Thanks 1