World, U.S. or American-International Open?

Of the 3 Open Championships, which was the best or best run show and why?

I am choosing U.S. Open in Marion. I thought the city was more welcoming. There seemed to be an excitement within the city of Marion. I remember my first year (1972) and prior to Open Class prelims we walked to Cadet Hall for a pancake breakfast and then walked to the stadium to watch a whole day of great drum corps. The Open class finals were amazing as I remember the crowd of people. Bleachers at the end zone filled with fans. Pretty incredible sight!

• 2 weeks later...

Marion US Open!  

- Great community support

- most of the corps (including some big names) were housed within the City, which made it easy to go watch practice.

- "In your face" stadium seating, close to the field

- It was late enough in the season that the corps were really cranking up their performances.

- "Open Seating" at prelims, which means you could plant yourself 50 yard line center with the rest of the serious fans!

- RAIN at finals.   Wait, I guess was not really a good thing, though I remember the exhausted energy waiting for the 1977 finals clash between Seneca & Crossman.  I don't even remember what time that actually ended.  Well after midnight.

• Like 1

US Open.

Why?

BECAUSE I WON IT.

Going to Marion was an experience! Marion Cadet Hall with affordable meals at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Corps scattered around the city rehearsing. The socialization with other corps members. Walking into the stadium and McCormick's trailer set up. US Open merchandise along with corps selling buttons.

I only went to World Open twice but in the 8o's and that vibe wasn't there. Same with Butler, PA. Now, mind you, great shows but Marion couldn't be beat!

I think that is one contest site that DCI should have tried to keep going.

• 1 month later...

Of the three, I only marched the US Open - after its heyday, in 1992, but anyhow...

Shorty Bartholomew told us that it was an honor for us to go on last at the US Open. 

After the show, I went to the track to hear the Blue Devils victory concert. Awesome.

US Open for me.