Uniforms

So this past season competing corps seemed to go back to more traditional uniforms. Most likely to curb expenses and it was a shortened season. While this was appealing to the older generation I do not expect that to be the norm going forward . Who is your favorite corps and what do you expect their uniforms to be like or what would you like to see in 2022?

I think Phantom Regiment has to somehow modernize while keeping ties to the past. The helmet is iconic but how to work it in?

I liked the old style uniforms of the Madison Scouts, really nostalgic, but note sure that it would work in today's environment.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

I completely disagree with you.

The trend of costumes portraying a theme and/or story is IMO a colossal failure and completely unnecessary.

Musical arrangements, visual drill design, and auxiliary will suffice. Props are not going to prop up a poorly designed program, no more than silly mice costumes. 

Designers need to consider the venue. Smaller venues like a gymnasium work better for costuming - WGI.

What we learned this season is that larger venues require more uniformity for greater visual impact. Madison, Phantom, Cavaliers, Cadets and even Bluecoats uniform styles/colors created both simplicity and clarity with respect to marching design and overall visual effect.

IMO less clutter more uniformity! 

One thing I can  totally agree with you on is ( highlighted ) BUT when used properly ( like with anything) 👌..

With  anything new or old. bad design, bad performances , etc etc, is just bad and of course good can also be darn good.

Edited by GUARDLING

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Designers need to consider the venue. Smaller venues like a gymnasium work better for costuming - WGI.

What we learned this season is that larger venues require more uniformity for greater visual impact. Madison, Phantom, Cavaliers, Cadets and even Bluecoats uniform styles/colors created both simplicity and clarity with respect to marching design and overall visual effect.

That's an excellent point and one I hadn't considered. Where you're performing does make a difference. 

I’m not a big fan of costuming but I have to say I loved Spirit’s look. I may be off but I interpreted it as a ghost, spirit, haint or whatever otherworldly creature might be caught in a bottle tree. It was out there and it worked for me. 
(It also reminded a little bit of Bumble the abominable snowman from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Lolol)

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, Poppycock said:

I completely disagree with you.

The trend of costumes portraying a theme and/or story is IMO a colossal failure and completely unnecessary.

Musical arrangements, visual drill design, and auxiliary will suffice. Props are not going to prop up a poorly designed program, no more than silly mice costumes. 

I can agree with quite a bit of this. I always find myself gravitating back to the guard really selling the "story" and the rest of the corps supporting that story with with music. 1987 Sky Ryders comes to mind. That guard sold that show from a story perspective. It is really a balance for me and I guess it probably IS design and I just don't really think about it. It's very easy these days to go way over the top in a futile attempt to just throw some props out on a field or do something crazy with costumes / uniforms in hopes of it impacting GE. 

BTW....one more thing on Sky Ryders. Those cats....were a blast to hang with.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I’m not a big fan of costuming but I have to say I loved Spirit’s look. I may be off but I interpreted it as a ghost, spirit, haint or whatever otherworldly creature might be caught in a bottle tree. It was out there and it worked for me. 
(It also reminded a little bit of Bumble the abominable snowman from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Lolol)

WhiteEducatedIndianspinyloach-small.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

WhiteEducatedIndianspinyloach-small.gif

LOL. Now all I can think of is that VK could SO have pulled off a Rudolph show. And it would have been AMAZING

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

LOL. Now all I can think of is that VK could SO have pulled off a Rudolph show. And it would have been AMAZING

Dang it.  Now I want to see that show.  They could have called it 12.24.  

• Haha 7

20 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Props are not going to prop up a poorly designed program, no more than silly mice costumes. 

Agree.  Silly props with mice in costumes would be even worse though.thumb_creepy-mickey-mouse-costume-photo-44073489.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3