Uniforms

I’ve probably shared this in other posts but one of my favorite all time shows is Crown in 2013. I also loved Crown’s uniforms prior to 2012. I disliked the 2013 uniforms. I love Madison Scouts traditional uniform. I thought the 2017 uniforms were not quite to my liking. 

For 2013 Crown, I heard the musical book based on an early MP3 download before I saw the show live, also saw what was available on the then DCI fan network and when I saw the show live, I was so mesmerized I barely noticed the uniforms. Madison’s 2017 show didn’t quite grab me and the uniforms were more of a distraction. 

In general I usually prefer musicians wear traditional uniforms, especially the corps that had classic uniforms such as Cadets, SCV, BAC, Crown, Cavies, Madison. There are times I think contemporary suits a corps well too, the best example being Bluecoats in 2016, 2018, 2019, and 2021. In the end, however, I do think that if we are totally engaged in a show but do not like the uniforms, costumes, or whatever your favorite term is, you barely notice the uniforms, if the show is not your favorite, the more likely corps attire will stick out like a sore thumb.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 2:46 PM, Poppycock said:

The trend of costumes portraying a theme and/or story is IMO a colossal failure and completely unnecessary.

I agree with you.

I will argue that Carolina Crown in 2013 and subsequent years forward of them changing costumes on a yearly basis has started this "costume" trend in which other corps have since followed...the idea of traditional uniforms for the most part with the advent of costumes is becoming a thing of the past albeit with a few exceptions...

To Crown fans I am NOT blaming Crown...just observing the trend and what happened IMO...

If Carolina Crown was used as an example then CC is partially responsible for this trend, no?

Who remembers General Butler Vagabonds being individually costumed for their 1999 Les Miserables show? Probably only us nerds who actually paid attention to the small corps. It wasn’t looked upon as radical as far as I can recall. I think it worked for a small group like that. Third place in DIII with 13+/- horns. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Who remembers General Butler Vagabonds being individually costumed for their 1999 Les Miserables show? Probably only us nerds who actually paid attention to the small corps. It wasn’t looked upon as radical as far as I can recall. I think it worked for a small group like that. Third place in DIII with 13+/- horns. 

I do remember that production. It wasn’t that radical but it wasn’t on the larger radar of the judging community at that time. They need to be recognized for their efforts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I do remember that production. It wasn’t that radical but it wasn’t on the larger radar of the judging community at that time. They need to be recognized for their efforts.

Costuming needs to be “uniform”. Haha. Individual costuming like they did would be way too busy on a full size corps. I think I would get vertigo watching that. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Costuming needs to be “uniform”. Haha. Individual costuming like they did would be way too busy on a full size corps. I think I would get vertigo watching that. 

Let’s just refer to it as “economy of scale”. Agreed?

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Liahona said:

I will argue that Carolina Crown in 2013 and subsequent years forward of them changing costumes on a yearly basis has started this "costume" trend in which other corps have since followed...

Well Star did it in the early 90's from British to Roman to Patriotic to Abstract Medea. Not as radical as what is going on now, but same basic idea. 

It is more changing technology that has brought about the current situation. With digital printing, it is much, much easier to create custom fabrics/costumes/flags than it used to be, and a bunch of new players have jumped in to get a piece of the pie. The costume trend is largely driven by vendors looking to make a buck. They don't make much on an individual drum corps, but they can sell the idea to 300 bands as a "must have" to be competitive. 

I personally think only Bluecoats have truly succeeded at pulling off effective costumes. Most of the rest are terribly busy and diminish the impact of the visual package. The lack of hats contributes as well. But this is all brought to us by the same people who think it is great to have groups perform/spin/drum on glare-prone tarps covered with headache-inducing incredibly intricate printing that competes with what is happening on top of it.

That said, as long as there is money to be made, don't look for it to go away any time soon. 

Vanguards Babylon costumes were awful and were terrible at field presence.  Just puke.  Great show that won despite that atrocious mess.

16 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

I remember because I watched all the Div 2/3 corps.  My kid was in one for five seasons. I still go in for the open class corps. We’re pretty lonely on Thursday morning, though.    

• Like 1