Uniforms

Is this not the same debate as asymmetrical drill, three valved bugles, any key instrumentation, tick system, including guard score (also - someone earlier called them "Auxiliary" - given their importance in the modern day production is that not somewhat insulting?!)

It's 2021 - things change and move on. What's more modern - performing a show with a costume based on the production you're performing or running round the field in spats, a frilly shirt and half a chicken on your head?! 😉

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Moz said:

Is this not the same debate as asymmetrical drill, three valved bugles, any key instrumentation, tick system, including guard score (also - someone earlier called them "Auxiliary" - given their importance in the modern day production is that not somewhat insulting?!)

It's 2021 - things change and move on. What's more modern - performing a show with a costume based on the production you're performing or running round the field in spats, a frilly shirt and half a chicken on your head?! 😉

I’m dying to see half a chicken on a head.a8e9c009b6740d7ac0aa53798647794d.gif

5 hours ago, Moz said:

I would say its far more " modern " to see Corps attire to evolve to the point where we see a full chicken on your head, not just a" half a chicken ".  May be an image of 1 person and outdoors

• Haha 2

They need a nice, PC, gender neutral name. I dunno, like Design Production Enhancement Team. 

On 9/5/2021 at 7:25 PM, Liahona said:

I agree with you.

I will argue that Carolina Crown in 2013 and subsequent years forward of them changing costumes on a yearly basis has started this "costume" trend in which other corps have since followed...the idea of traditional uniforms for the most part with the advent of costumes is becoming a thing of the past albeit with a few exceptions...

To Crown fans I am NOT blaming Crown...just observing the trend and what happened IMO...

Not trying to nitpick, but Phantom changed uniforms constantly from 1988 on.  And Vanguard did it off and on for decades.  Waiting for the new Regiment look was one of the fun parts of only being able to see the PBS broadcast every year.  

Mike

On 9/4/2021 at 8:08 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I can agree with quite a bit of this. I always find myself gravitating back to the guard really selling the "story" and the rest of the corps supporting that story with with music.

Springboarding off of this, I think what has changed is that kids in DCI are so better trained, musically and athletically these days, that it's really become "sure you can march and play, but what *else* can you do?"  Brass and drums have to sell the story on the move now as well, not just guard.  

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Guard doesn’t work either. What are they suppose to be guarding? Perhaps cast members! 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've heard and seen high school bands with "dance teams" in the description for a loooooong time.  JSU has had the Ballerinas for decades.

• Thanks 1