Uniforms

On 9/5/2021 at 10:01 PM, Brian Tuma said:

Who remembers General Butler Vagabonds being individually costumed for their 1999 Les Miserables show? Probably only us nerds who actually paid attention to the small corps. It wasn’t looked upon as radical as far as I can recall. I think it worked for a small group like that. Third place in DIII with 13+/- horns. 

it was a one off, not the norm

20 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Three weeks ago.

According to the DCI rule book, section 4.6.2, "By the word "bugle" as used herein is meant; any traditionally defined brass instrument pitched in any key; where sound is produced by the vibration of the player's lips in a tubular resonator."

put that out on some of the alumni laden Facebook pages....they'll Scotty Pirtle you to death

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

You’re easily amused! 

This is true.

• Haha 1

1980 Baby! LOL

Spandex is back!

208803_1004112377034_1900_n.jpg?_nc_cat=

On 9/7/2021 at 11:28 AM, MikeN said:

Not trying to nitpick, but Phantom changed uniforms constantly from 1988 on.  And Vanguard did it off and on for decades.  Waiting for the new Regiment look was one of the fun parts of only being able to see the PBS broadcast every year.  

Mike

1995 all black uniforms....stunning. That is all

• Like 4

Not trying to nitpick, but Phantom changed uniforms constantly from 1988 on.  And Vanguard did it off and on for decades.  Waiting for the new Regiment look was one of the fun parts of only being able to see the PBS broadcast every year.  

Mike

1995 all black uniforms....stunning. That is all

• Like 1

Mike

I understand what you are saying here, but Regiment didn't abandon their style.  All Black, All White, a few combinations - even the tan years - none of it left you wondering who it was marching on the field.  I liked how they started using small accents to customize to show themes while never abandoning the identity embedded in their uniforms and headgear.  You could argue the same for SCV pre-2018...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's costumes now, not uniforms for most corps.  I asked in a poll back in 2016 when Bloo won with white costumes with black squigglies if costumes were going to become the norm for horns and battery, and most thought they wouldn't.  But here we are anyway. 

I don't care much for this particular sea change, but there are dozens of other things that define each corps for me.  

I took a look at FJM and Stanbury today after seeing that BD was switching.  It looks to me like FJM tends to be more traditional, but I don't really pay that much attention?  Is that accurate at all?

On 9/10/2021 at 4:11 PM, Lance said:

It's costumes now, not uniforms for most corps.  I asked in a poll back in 2016 when Bloo won with white costumes with black squigglies if costumes were going to become the norm for horns and battery, and most thought they wouldn't.  But here we are anyway. 

I don't care much for this particular sea change, but there are dozens of other things that define each corps for me.  

I took a look at FJM and Stanbury today after seeing that BD was switching.  It looks to me like FJM tends to be more traditional, but I don't really pay that much attention?  Is that accurate at all?

You can't assume either company is traditional or not.   They simply produce whatever the corps design for them.  For example, Boston, Cadets, and Bluecoats all had Stanbury, but they certainly had nothing in common style wise.