Uniforms

1 hour ago, craiga said:

You can't assume either company is traditional or not.   They simply produce whatever the corps design for them.  For example, Boston, Cadets, and Bluecoats all had Stanbury, but they certainly had nothing in common style wise.

I thought Cadets used DeMoulin … did they switch to Stanbury? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

They been with Stanbury for a few years now (I think).

https://cadets.org/2021-2/

How about that … learn something new everyday 

• Like 1

I see no reason that attire/ shakos have to match the theme of the show. Not when the modern attire that is supposed to match the theme barely matches... if at all.... the theme. Without naming Corps names/ shows/ themes and year of the show, one would be hard pressed to attempt to make a compelling and convincing case (imo ) that the chosen attire for that year's show was a good match. I can think of at least a dozen recent shows where its a real stretch to try and make the convincing case that the so called " theme inspired attire" used for that show was a match that blended well with that theme.

Also, If a narrative is going to be advanced that ( for example ) " cadet styled uniforms don't match the theme ", then tell us how tossed wooden rifles, or spinning multi colored flags and the like do for most of these chosen themes either. Fans ( and judges ) can use their imagination skills just as well with the traditional attire and shakos the same as they need to do with the more modern " theme inspired  attire ".  Oftentimes, MORE imagination and latitude is needed for fans ( and judges ) to believe that the modern attire blends well with the chosen theme that year, for that corps. A few Corps " theme inspired " attire ( headgear, or sans headgear ) blended well. But do most ?   Maybe.. maybe not.  I suppose its all in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

I see no reason that attire/ shakos have to match the theme of the show. Not when the modern attire that is supposed to match the theme barely matches... if at all.... the theme. Without naming Corps names/ shows/ themes and year of the show, one would be hard pressed to attempt to make a compelling and convincing case (imo ) that the chosen attire for that year's show was a good match. I can think of at least a dozen recent shows where its a real stretch to try and make the convincing case that the so called " theme inspired attire" used for that show was a match that blended well with that theme.

Also, If a narrative is going to be advanced that ( for example ) " cadet styled uniforms don't match the theme ", then tell us how tossed wooden rifles, or spinning multi colored flags and the like do for most of these chosen themes either. Fans ( and judges ) can use their imagination skills just as well with the traditional attire and shakos the same as they need to do with the more modern " theme inspired  attire ".  Oftentimes, MORE imagination and latitude is needed for fans ( and judges ) to believe that the modern attire blends well with the chosen theme that year, for that corps. A few Corps " theme inspired " attire ( headgear, or sans headgear ) blended well. But do most ?   Maybe.. maybe not.  I suppose its all in the eye of the beholder.

The thing about themed uniforms is that it presupposes the theme of your show is so effective and well-conceived that that’s what the uniforms should be celebrating, rather than celebrating the corps itself. All before a single note is played or step is taken.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/10/2021 at 4:11 PM, Lance said:

It's costumes now, not uniforms for most corps.  I asked in a poll back in 2016 when Bloo won with white costumes with black squigglies if costumes were going to become the norm for horns and battery, and most thought they wouldn't.  But here we are anyway. 

I don't care much for this particular sea change, but there are dozens of other things that define each corps for me.  

I took a look at FJM and Stanbury today after seeing that BD was switching.  It looks to me like FJM tends to be more traditional, but I don't really pay that much attention?  Is that accurate at all?

more name players involved with Stanbury, a subsidiary of Varsity

22 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I thought Cadets used DeMoulin … did they switch to Stanbury? 

yes.

21 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

The thing about themed uniforms is that it presupposes the theme of your show is so effective and well-conceived that that’s what the uniforms should be celebrating, rather than celebrating the corps itself. All before a single note is played or step is taken.

There are other reasons.  sometimes it's simply to set the color palette being used.  Sometimes it's for ease of movement.  Sometimes it's just to make the MM's feel and look cool.  

Mike

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 3:11 PM, Lance said:

I asked in a poll back in 2016 when Bloo won with white costumes with black squigglies if costumes were going to become the norm for horns and battery, and most thought they wouldn't.  But here we are anyway. 

DCI is a worse copycat league than the NFL.  One corps has success with something and 7 more will do it the next season.