Uniforms

23 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

The thing about themed uniforms is that it presupposes the theme of your show is so effective and well-conceived that that’s what the uniforms should be celebrating, rather than celebrating the corps itself. All before a single note is played or step is taken.

I can't think of a single corps that doesn't absolutely broadcast pride and celebration in being a part of that corps before a single note is played or step is taken, regardless of what they're wearing.  Any negativity about what you think should "celebrate" a corps regarding what they wear or the key of the horns they play on or anything else is 100% on you, not them.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

I'm also not a fan of the costumes.  The reason is that I think it harms uniformity (forget which poster said that, but I agree). 

The main thing that needs to come back are the hats.  The main thing that a hat (whether shako, aussie, or whatever) provides is that it tends to obscure the performer's face and head from a distance.  This enhances the uniformity of whatever look the corps is going for.  When you see a uniform where the corps is not wearing a hat: the uniforms can be identical from the neck down, but the fact that everyone has a unique head and face (and we can now clearly see them even from a distance) has a detrimental effect on uniformity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, lowend said:

DCI is a worse copycat league than the NFL.  One corps has success with something and 7 more will do it the next season.

Along with 6,700 HS Marching Bands a year after that. Just sayin'

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/15/2021 at 7:41 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Along with 6,700 HS Marching Bands a year after that. Just sayin'

This..and don't get me started on Japan....

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, lowend said:

2016-2017 were great year for fabric flyovers!

Abandon all hope....

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 7:20 PM, kcwolf9396 said:

I'm also not a fan of the costumes.  The reason is that I think it harms uniformity (forget which poster said that, but I agree). 

The main thing that needs to come back are the hats.  The main thing that a hat (whether shako, aussie, or whatever) provides is that it tends to obscure the performer's face and head from a distance.  This enhances the uniformity of whatever look the corps is going for.  When you see a uniform where the corps is not wearing a hat: the uniforms can be identical from the neck down, but the fact that everyone has a unique head and face (and we can now clearly see them even from a distance) has a detrimental effect on uniformity.

Unfortunately, uniformity and discipline aren't in vogue anymore and have been replaced my "look at me" individualism.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Unfortunately, uniformity and discipline aren't in vogue anymore and have been replaced my "look at me" individualism.

Thing is, "uniformity and discipline" are the very  essence of a "corps".

Maybe they should change the I in DCI individualists. 

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, TenHut said:

Wow! You really think discipline is no longer en vogue? How do you explain the incredible musicians we hear today in drum corps? Do you think their musicianship just appeared fully formed and wasn’t the result of countless hours of disciplined practice? It takes a heck of a lot of discipline to eschew a social life in exchange for hours on end alone in a practice room developing your craft. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TenHut said:

What a bunch of malarkey. The kids don’t choose what they wear for the performance. 

So we are supposed to believe that kids join a group activity of over 150 other kids because they value individualism and have a “look at me attitude?” Get out of here with that. 

You can lament the turn away from traditional uniforms, fine. That’s an opinion, you can have one even though nobody cares. However, blaming the kids and worse, making these types of generalizations about their character because of this is far off the mark. Do better. 

• Like 1