Bluecoats 2022

:blink:

I'm not quite sure what I just watched. My brain is melting through my nose and dripping down my shirt. The cat is crying in the tree out back. Is he calling to me or warning me of some oncoming existential danger? I reach over to shut the window and time slows...  it slows....  it slows...  it....   The only thing I can do is stare at my shirt with the rorschach brain-stains showing me the patterns of the universe. I drift beyond time, beyond these walls, beyond my own thoughts, and decide the next chance I get I'm going to get a pair of sunglasses and a convertible and take my cat for a ride.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I normally lurk, but I actually was able to attend the DCI Tour Premiere event in person and I wanted to share my thoughts~

Crossmen:

• The uniforms are surprisingly darker in person. It does have some cool colors though
  • I love Equus I played it in my college band! I feel they did a solid job, but you can tell the musicians are very young
  • I have absolutely no idea what their show is about, but they have shiny circles that moved that looked nice
  • I felt like I was watching a really good high school group which isn't a bad thing, but I feel their show was like something a high school band would play
  • They had a lot of people forgetting step offs, spacing issues, putting horns up when they aren't supposed to. I don't know if it showed in the broadcast, but there was a lot of these issues.
  • They also had a lot of random small tempo issues throughout the show but kept it together
  • I love the guard uniforms!
  • Not my favorite show sadly since I didn't feel any reason to what they were doing if that makes sense? Just feels like a lot of playing and moving. Hopefully they clean it up and focus on the performing side of things
  • Every performer seemed young and that's totally fine! They will grow during the season and I am excited for them

Blue Stars:

• I absolutely am in love with their guard uniforms. They are adorable and I want one. They were so vibrant and bright and stood out it was lovely
  • The baritone soloist was lovely! The introduction was incredibly pretty and was a nice change of pace. It was so musical!
  • The hornline was so strange because they sounded amazing and played with a lot of nuance but they feel somewhat young! There was so much nuance and direction and characteristics of being well instructed it was just wonderful to hear. I do think they are much younger and you can tell with how they sound in some of the more layered moments when individual parts are spread out more. I think they are younger than the other upper world class hornlines, but you can tell they are being given some world class instruction.
  • Battery isn't ramming notes as much as previous years so that was nice. They sound a little young, but I liked it!
  • I was just looking at the colorguard the entire time because they just stand out so much color wise! I did see quite a few drops but they recovered rather quickly. Their choreography will clean up over time.
  • The show's theme makes no sense to me! But I enjoyed it. I don't know if I would listen to it again on repeat just like Crossmen, but I think this is a design staff issue since the show just doesn't make sense or standout. The performers are quite outstanding though. Great job instructional staff

Phantom Regiment:

• Best uniforms of the night. The drum majors are also so GORGEOUS. Like girl HELLO? YOU ARE GLOWING? TELL ME YOUR SECRET. GET ITTTTTTTT. But the uniform accents just pop in person and I am in love.
  • That baritone soloist gave me chills. The first impact was also devastatingly loud. It scared me and my boyfriend. It was the greatest thing.
  • Battery is so good! I also love their tuning. I think I spotted Pearls? thank goodness.
  • Colorguard looked stunning tonight! I do wish the red went slightly higher on the body consistently on the members. Maybe like more of a halter top instead of a tank strap. That way the red would pop way more compared to the corps proper! However, their choreo was wonderful. I really wish the purple silk work was done on flag rather than free silk, but it was still a wonderful color choice. The maroon blended in with the guard member's wearing maroon and I think it would have popped more if it was given to the brighter red guard members instead but I trust the staff
  • Hornline... is not good at choreography. I am so sorry. As someone who did colorguard and also played baritone, I know it's awkward but at least give it more energy, you won't feel as cringey I promise!
  • Hornline can absolutely play though. Their contras sound so good. A lot of baritones sticking out at the end but I think they will clean it up.
  • Hornline was probably the most tired by the end of the show. I also think they are young! I felt Blue Stars executed better than them, but Regiment was probably twice as loud and had a huge sound comparatively.
  • I don't get their show either but boy was it a fun one
  • My boyfriend was actually laughing and that is good because he only laughs when he hears great things. He seemed to enjoy Phantom.

The Cavaliers:

• Was it just me or did every girl dream of being on the Cavaliers? I don't know. I sure did
  • Holy moly that hornline hit made me jump out of my seat. The sound was so mid and bass heavy it was incredible. There wasn't even that much electronic goop. My boyfriend was laughing so hard at that first hit people were looking at him. I think he really enjoyed that impact.
  • Oh no hornline! There were moments they broke on time, but they got it back together.
  • Also the uniforms blended in with the turf and it was kind of weird. The blue accents pop though
  • This show makes absolutely no sense to me. But they sure play with a lot of energy and nuance which was nice. However, I do think they added a lot of random difficult passages that didn't need to be added. It put a weird halt to the pacing.
  • The show got really unfocused as it went on and it was hard to focus on what they were doing. Got a little bored. Boyfriend seemed disinterested as well by the end.
  • Great start but it fizzles. I hope they can clear it up and fix it by the end of the season!

Boston Crusaders:

• Wow their uniforms pop far away, but look really bad up close. The contrast between the white, black and red is amazing though.
  • Holy percussion. That drumline is the best drumline I have ever heard tuning wise. The snares just POP. The bass drums are on another level. The tenors are #### clean. They were my favorite battery of the night.
  • Hornline sounds REALLY good. However, I do feel they had first show jitters or something. Do you ever a hornline that you know has like 30% more in them, but they are holding back for some reason? That was Boston tonight. However, they were letting it rip and it made my boyfriend laugh so that's a good sign.
  • Can I just emphasize how amazing the battery is? Okay. Good. They are amazing. I wonder if they win drums this year. Wouldn't surprise me.
  • Let's talk about the colorguard too! First off. Those uniforms? LUSH. Boy can they PERFORM. WOO! They are natural born performers all of them. Not to mention those tosses? GET IT. Sabre work was also top NOTCH.
  • Boston to me feels like a medal contender. The issue I feel is that the music doesn't really do them much favors. What I mean by that is I feel like the hornline feels uncomfortable. What they are doing right now sounds great and they are executing at an extremely high level. However, I feel like they are either playing music that doesn't fit the natural feel of the members or they just don't have an idea of how they want to perform the music yet.
  • When they got to the little groove section, contras are absolutely on fire. The trombones do well helping set the groove. When the tempo jumps up I feel the hornline comes to LIFE. The first sign of unhinged life from the horns. They seem to really like this piece. I wish they could perform with this level of freedom for the rest of the show! Here's hoping they get it throughout the season.
  • My boyfriend was laughing up a storm at the company front impact. Wow that was loud.
  • Also drumline is so good. UGH THEY ARE SO GOOD.
  • The tag ending makes absolutely no sense! But that warm sound coming backfield. Please let that be what leads me into heaven or hell. Wherever I go. It's 2022, everyone's done something hell worthy.
  • The show makes no sense much like the rest but wow can they perform.

Bluecoats:

• This wasn't a drum corps show. This wasn't a marching band show. This was a live performance of an indie film. I don't know how Bluecoats did it, but this feels like I'm watching a show 
  • The voice over I think was supposed to sound deadpan, but it felt weird. It helped guide the show I guess, but no one around me understood the show. I asked, trust me, the result was unanimous. We all felt we took drugs together and experienced it in the form of Bluecoats 2022.
  • Hornline was wonderfully mature. The most mature hornline of the night. Their vertical sonorities were disgustingly high level especially this early. 
  • Battery was SO GOOD OH MY GOODNESS. I don't want to put the Bluecoats down, but I do think the Crusaders have an overall better battery. Bluecoats front ensemble is more solid. It'll be close by the end.
  • Wow... the sections with the wheel were so COOL. This show was so well technically designed and the members execute it so extremely well it's scary. They were at another level compared Boston, who was at another level compared to Phantom who was at another level compared to everyone else lol.
  • Colorguard GET IT. I wish their uniforms stood out more because they blend in with everything going on and it takes away from highlighting their stunning rifle work and choreo.
  • Those uniforms do pop on the field though.
  • Bluecoats feel like they are executing at a late July level
  • However, out of all the shows I watched, I liked this one the least. There was nothing to grab onto that felt enjoyable. It did feel like a live performance of an indie film, but the kind that you see at a film festival and go "that's nice." then you forget everything about it. That was this show unfortunately.
  • My boyfriend actually didn't laugh much during this show. There was so much electronics going on that made the hornline sound getting muffled at times. It was weird.
  • They execute at a championship level. But the show is so out there and non-enjoyable design wise, it makes you wonder if they went too far?

Overall:

• I had a fun time! I 100% agree with the placements. Bluecoats performed their show far better than anyone in venue. In terms of my personal preferences of enjoyment:
    • Boston Crusaders and Phantom Regiment
    • The Cavaliers and Blue Stars
    • Bluecoats
    • Crossmen
  • Best hornline was hands down Bluecoats. I'd rank them probably like this:
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Blue Stars
    • The Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Crossmen
  • Colorguard had an easy winner to spot for me. Hands down Boston Crusaders:
    • Boston Crusaders (by a lot)
    • Bluecoats
    • Blue Stars (much closer to Bluecoats than people think)
    • Phantom Regiment
    • The Cavaliers
    • Crossmen
  • Best drumline was a little hard for me, but I sided with Boston since their battery is unreal:
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Bluecoats (BC and BAC are far ahead of the rest of the groups for me sadly)
    • The Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Blue Stars
    • Crossmen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Super Don-O said:

:blink:

I'm not quite sure what I just watched. My brain is melting through my nose and dripping down my shirt. The cat is crying in the tree out back. Is he calling to me or warning me of some oncoming existential danger? I reach over to shut the window and time slows...  it slows....  it slows...  it....   The only thing I can do is stare at my shirt with the rorschach brain-stains showing me the patterns of the universe. I drift beyond time, beyond these walls, beyond my own thoughts, and decide the next chance I get I'm going to get a pair of sunglasses and a convertible and take my cat for a ride.

Excellent. That’s the point. 😉

I have watch the show on alternate locations about 4 times now, That Keytar player is going to be the star of the season like Crown's keyboard player in 2011, it's so dang cool This show is a beast and and has contender written all over it. I cant wait until regionals when everyone is in one show. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

I have watch the show on alternate locations about 4 times now, That Keytar player is going to be the star of the season like Crown's keyboard player in 2011, it's so dang cool This show is a beast and and has contender written all over it. I cant wait until regionals when everyone is in one show. 

Ryan’s a beast.  And a super nice guy too.  

• Like 4

l'm really into the show, i actually love it. The talent is insane, the performance level is one of the highest. There's some things to work out, but which corps doesn't have things to work on in their show at this stage of the season.

• Like 6

I feel like this show will follow a similar trajectory as Cabaret Voltaire in the like/dislike of it. The show has crazy potential and is easily one of the top two of the season thus far, but it's also venturing into a new area of drum corps that hasn't been explored deeply yet in theme, uniforms, and that bad### keytar. Will be interesting to see how much better it can get!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ediblewaffles said:

I feel like this show will follow a similar trajectory as Cabaret Voltaire in the like/dislike of it. The show has crazy potential and is easily one of the top two of the season thus far, but it's also venturing into a new area of drum corps that hasn't been explored deeply yet in theme, uniforms, and that bad### keytar. Will be interesting to see how much better it can get!

Yeah. As much as i love the show, not a fan of the costumes, i think they could have done a better design to the theme. I am not mad at the colors at all though, it's vibrant, fun, and just over the top. It needed to be thought out a bit more though in respect to the color guards.

• Like 1