Bluecoats 2022

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think we need to at least get a number for Crown.    

I think 3rd or 4th for Crown. I saw a high camera angle of their show. It is FANTASTIC! Everyone is going to love it, but the design seems on par with their 2017-2019 designs, which are just not being rewarded by the judges. Crown or Bluecoats winning would make me so happy because they are my two favorite shows this season by far.

Honestly, I was just baffled last year at how Crown finished 4th. You all know I'm a huge Vanguard honk, but I was baffled that Crown didn't beat them or have a shot at the title. The sheets suck, IMO.

* Just want to make it clear that I'm not judging the quality of the performance I saw on video from Crown, because you can't judge those things through a video shot on a cell phone. I'm judging the visual design. 

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

Just got to see the tour premiere. Holy God Coats are trippy and awesome and that keytar song is already the defining song of this season and we are like one show in. They are head and shoulders over everything else I’ve seen this year so far. That is all.

Mike

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

I guess you were . 😃

I was. Vanguard is my #1, but Crown is my #2. I liked Crown's show a lot more than Vanguard's in 2019. I learned a long time ago that "like" doesn't matter, but I thought Crown had the better show in 2019.

• Like 1

My own personal "revelation" about this show tells me that Bluecoats went with the name "Lou" is because he's the dream avatar for a 50 year old Bloo (call him B'Lou?) and the trippy dream they go on represents the crazy dream-like ride that is a drum corps experience. The narrator is the perspective of an m&m who find themselves a passenger on a journey with this dude behind the wheel. The feelings evoked by the words, sounds and visuals give me flashbacks to my first year in DCI - the giddy anticipation of what's to come while not knowing just what that is, the bus ride adventures and fundamentals blocs, the agitation of being passed or "cut off" by a rival corps and the desire to flex some swag (with a bada$$ keytar tune in this case) as a response. And in the end the realization that the experience was all about what you learn about yourself along the way.

I lived that experience (that summer changed me, and the memories still feel like a dream that happened outside of normal time and space) and so that's how I'll interpret this show, but the beauty is that someone else may have a totally different interpretation because of their own unique personal experience, and someone else may just enjoy the cool tunes, visuals, and groovy vibe. Like with the best art and literature, I appreciate that Bloo lets me figure out for myself how to interpret what's happening rather than having it spoon-fed to me. Bravo, and happy 50th, B'Lou!    

Edited by 3PoC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The bar is very high for Bluecoats. They are setting that bar for DCI. I remember seeing Session 44 for the first time and thinking, Well that’s too bad, it’s a nice little idea but it’s not Bluecoats. By mid season it had become my favorite of that year and one of my all timers.

I hope that happens again this year, but this concept seems both too weird and too thin.

Now that’s not to say they won’t match and play with the best. They will. But concept wise, this is a let down for me.

• Like 1